All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zhuge read 529,000 million Yen in Sony report. He posted 529 million Yen in tweet, either a typo or a mis-reading (I take it as the former as the actual number is six digits million in report, and it's a common mistake to make). Chris1515 reports the tweet is false, which it is as the number is 529 billion, not million, although the language seems a bit harsh and perhaps he should have said, "you've made a mistake." Chris is correct - the tweet was false, and Globalisateur is correct that Chris was correct andZhuge recongised his mistake and removed the original tweet. That is, the numbers in the reports are millions, as you say, but the '529 million' and '504 million' numbers tweeted are incorrect because these should be billions.

Zhuge read 529,000 million Yen in Sony report. He posted 529 million Yen in tweet, either a typo or a mis-reading (I take it as the former as the actual number is six digits million in report, and it's a common mistake to make). Chris1515 reports the tweet is false, which it is as the number is 529 billion, not million, although the language seems a bit harsh and perhaps he should have said, "you've made a mistake." Chris is correct - the tweet was false, and Globalisateur is correct that Chris was correct andZhuge recongised his mistake and removed the original tweet. That is, the numbers in the reports are millions, as you say, but the '529 million' and '504 million' numbers tweeted are incorrect because these should be billions.
Wow, so much comprehensiveness. I feel dizzy.

I knew would come a day when I could finally use this word!

Ubisoft results...the only fun ones left thanks to the platform and geographic breakdowns https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...englishfinal_tcm99-250458_tcm99-196733-32.pdf

It's a little confusing but Q4 2015/16 is the period from Jan 2016-March 31 2016. Since their 2015/16 fiscal year ends in March.

Ijn3ZDt.png

It looks like PS4;XBO sales for Ubi are pretty steady ~1.6:1. For both full years listed, for example. Q4 14/15, where XBO was much closer, is just an anomaly. Breaking it down easy to read for all the periods present:

April 2014-March 2015 (full year), 32%-20%, 1.6:1

April 2015-March 2016 (full year), 42%-26%, ~1.6:1

Jan 2015-March 2015, 23%-19%, ~1.2:1

Jan 2016-March 2016, 48%-31%, ~1.55:1

Last edited:
I found this from Ubi interesting on GAF as well. While many/most publishers struggle, it seems the "big 4" (I'd probably personally exclude Take Two as a one trick Pony, well two tricks given NBA2K) have this down to a pretty good science.

ubisoftmarket00u13.png

Ubisoft touted sales of Far Cry Primal and The Division as strong, making up for poor selling AC Syndicate. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._successful_sales_of_The_Division_Far_Cry.php

The company earned profits of 129 million euro ($147 million) on sales of 1.39 billion euro ($1.58 billion), up slightly from last year's profit of 113 million euro.

Ubisoft's results were hampered by poor sales forAssassin's Creed Syndicate, which the company warned investors about earlier in the year. The company had re-forecasted its sales down to 1.36 billion euro, and beat that new target.

That's because they were bolstered by better-than-expected sales of Far Cry Primal and The Division, which broke company sales records at launch. According to Ubisoft, Far Cry Primal had the best February launch of a game -- ever. Both exceeded the company's expectations.

Last edited:
Ubi only 14% on PC?? 80% consoles.

Why do they even support PC? Must be quite cheap to do PC ports with upgraded graphics nowadays.

Or the reason of bad performance is stupid Uplay!?

Didn't they start out as a PC video card vendor first before getting into games development? It was Guillemot or something like that out of Montreal?

Didn't they start out as a PC video card vendor first before getting into games development? It was Guillemot or something like that out of Montreal?

A very old article, but has plenty of information of the Guillemot brothers and their businesses.

http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/53/Guillemot-Corporation.html

By the early 1980s, the Guillemot brothers were graduating from school and beginning to look forward to establishing their own professional careers.

By then, Michel Guillemot, who had completed his university studies in Lille, had already led his brothers into an interest in a still-emerging new industry, computers. Michel had already been behind the founding of the Microtel computer clubs that for a time helped introduce much of France to the new technology. Back at Carentoir, Michel, joined by brother Claude and then the remaining three Guillemot brothers, was given the go-ahead from father Marcel to launch the family into the computer industry.

The Guillemots started out in retail, opening their first Guillemot Informatique store near their home in 1984, but quickly focused on mail-order and wholesale distribution wing as well. The company's early arrival gave Guillemot a head start and by their second year of business, the company had won contracts to supply computers and equipment throughout much of the French national school system. Although the growing company remained interested in the general computer market, the young Guillemot brothers were quickly captivated by the new and growing market for video computer games.

Yet many of the new games proved impossible to find in France. The Guillemots recognized the opportunity and began importing the elusive titles, including such early hits as 'SOS Ghosts' and others. The company now featured strong software and hardware distribution, which, by 1986, was producing FFr 40 million in sales. An important breakthrough for the Guillemots came with contracts from French retail leaders Auchan, Carrefour, and others to supply these nationally operating chains of hypermarkets with computer hardware and software products. At the point, the company changed its name to Guillemot International.

The 'international' part of its name was quickly developed as the company extended its distribution activities into other parts of Europe. The company expanded rapidly and in 1986 separated its two lines of activities, hardware and software, into two companies with the creation of Ubi Soft Entertainment SA. While that company was headquartered in Paris, Guillemot International itself remained in the family's native Carentoir.

Ubi only 14% on PC?? 80% consoles.

Why do they even support PC? Must be quite cheap to do PC ports with upgraded graphics nowadays.

Or the reason of bad performance is stupid Uplay!?

Significantly lower cost of sales on PC combined with the relatively low cost of having a PC version due to the relative similarities between the platforms. IE the ratio of Revenue between platforms isn't indicative of the ratio of Profit between the platforms.

That said, UBIsoft on PC has been getting hammered by PC players due to performance issues with their titles, hence many PC users no longer buying UBIsoft titles like they once did. When the titles perform well on PC (like the latest Rainbow 6 game), they get hampered by UBIsofts sub-par front end loader combined with their sub-par log-in servers (relatively frequent service outages compared with other publishers) which greatly impact some player's enjoyment of their games. IE - anther thing that dissuades PC gamers from buying UBIsoft products.

Regards,
SB

Sony Forecasts PS4 Sales Will Reach 60 Million By April 2017

Sony Corporation has posted a forecast for its financial year ending March 31, 2017, and projected it will sell 20 million PlayStation 4 consoles in this period.

This, according to Sony, represents an 8.3 percent rise in overall sales compared to the previous year. It believes "PS4 software sales including sales through the network" and "PS4 hardware unit sales" will both contribute to the overall increase.

Financial forcast: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/20160524_sonypre.pdf

Edit: Seeing as Jan-April will be the slower months of sales... I reckon PS4/NEO will be around 55-57 million units sold by years-end 2016.

Last edited:
Does that hint at no price drop?

I was thinking the same thing...

I think the updated forcast from 17-20 million has more to do with the additional sales from PS4 Neo and PSVR pushing PS4 standalone sales. A price reduction isn't necessarily needed for an additional 3 million units, when your monthly PS4 sales are well over a million, and your later holiday months accumulate around 5-6 million more unit sales.

I think it hint there will be a pricedrop.

They managed 17.7M last FY because they introduced permanent pricedrop before holidays. This year they will have that again, plus possible additional sales from PSVR/PS4K users.
I'd expect far greater sales increase than 8% with a proper price drop myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back