Regulation of the gaming industry.

Steam attempted this with the Steam Box, but it's difficult to do something like that in the PC market due to consumer expectations of being able to control and upgrade the hardware in your device. And doing that also made it not price competitive with consoles since the hardware makers would need to make a profit on each box sold. At which point, who is the customer for it?

I remember rumors of MS potentially thinking about something like an Xbox spec console for OEMs to manufacture and sell, but the problem arises in how to make it price competitive with other consoles (PlayStation) while incentivizing OEMs to sell it. Sharing the proceeds from game sales makes for less incentive for MS to do that but not doing that means no reasons for OEMs to do it.

Regards,
SB

For Valve I think its better to just go with a home edition of the steam deck.

When steam deck 2 launches also launch the same hardware but as a set top box like the fire tv size or a intel nuc.

Here is the fire tv for example

1689446917871.png

1689446966821.png

Valve could do both the mobile & home version of the Steam Deck 2 at the same time by doing a modular design. That's how I tried to build my mini pc. Build the unit such that the screen & controls are detachable. The main unit could be sold separately & it docks with the TV. Unplug from the TV & attach the small mobile screen/controls or use a larger portable monitor with a wireless controller instead. First company that makes that I will buy it.

Valve could do both the mobile & home version of the Steam Deck 2 at the same time by doing a modular design. That's how I tried to build my mini pc. Build the unit such that the screen & controls are detachable. The main unit could be sold separately & it docks with the TV. Unplug from the TV & attach the small mobile screen/controls or use a larger portable monitor with a wireless controller instead. First company that makes that I will buy it.

So a switch then lol

I am not sure how well it will work in practice. The steam deck is really well laid out and I think having to have the controllers detachable would really mess with the internals of the system.

So a switch then lol

Not exactly. Maybe Switch-esque. The Switch & Steamdeck both have useless screens & controls when docked to a TV. Why not make them useful instead? Or what if someone wants to have a bigger screen and/or use a dedicated controller? The smaller screen & integrated controls are just extra bits that some may not want or want to pay for.

Not exactly. Maybe Switch-esque. The Switch & Steamdeck both have useless screens & controls when docked to a TV. Why not make them useful instead? Or what if someone wants to have a bigger screen and/or use a dedicated controller? The smaller screen & integrated controls are just extra bits that some may not want or want to pay for.

Yes but adding in the actual working parts to allow you to remove the screen and controllers would add additional bulk /cost/ failure

I'd wager its just easier to take the same SOC and put it in a mini box for home use . You'd likely be able to price it less with no battery or screen. Maybe save more on a cheaper power supply and cheaper cooling components since you have more space to keep everything cool. Then you make the portable one. i'd wager you could have the home one at say $300 and the handheld one at $400 easily

George Orwell was sent as a journalist to Spain where he participated with POUM, which opposed Stalin, and he temporarily enjoyed an alternative society for which he wrote about. Until the Soviet Union as well as the so called "democratic" regimes, fought to destroy whatever was achieved and helped Franco regain the territories and took over.

But thats a subject for a different thread

Back