Windows 10 [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My flatmate is now wanting one.
Starwars Battlefront won't run on 32bit OS & he has 32bit Vista.
But that doesn't get to upgrade (they really should extend the upgrade to Vista users. Even though they did offer the Win8 upgrade to them it was probably mostly a good choice to stick with Vista)

Assuming his CPU supports 64bit, he can always download a 64 bit Vista ISO and install it using his existing Windows Key (valid for both 32 and 64 bit versions). If he has an OEM machine he may need to get an OEM specific ISO as the Windows Key will be read from the BIOS.

However, it may be time to actually upgrade his OS. :)

Regard,
SB

Just FYI, core parking gets re-enabled after a Win10 upgrade.

I'm mentioning this because I had it turned off in Win7. About two weeks ago, I was playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order again. My last playthrough was on this same machine but with my prior overclocked Radeon 7970 3GB card. When I started again, it was hitchy, jerky, and I noticed a lot of people on the internet with the same problems. The solutions were typically related to the texture streaming parts; specifically turning on the compression or turning down the pages-per-frame for updates. Both of these seemed counter-intuitive as I didn't see this problem on my previous card.

Over the last fourteen days I was only able to "play" for perhaps two or three. If I turned everything down to the lowest quality, performance would stabilize. But as I turned features up (and I couldn't find any ONE feature that caused this...) the performance would get very inconsistent and jerky.

Last night I got to the moon level and it was REALLY bad, and this pissed me off. About 20 minutes of diagnostic later, I noticed that my CPU utilization was higher than I expected, and that I had SIX cores parked. Grrr...

A few more minutes of changing reg keys, then changing the newly available power settings, and a reboot later... BAM, performance is fantastic with every feature at max.

Suck it, Microsoft.

Fucksake lol. If MS is seriously going to treat Win10 as a "service" (I really don't consider my operating system on my own fucking computer as a "service" delivered to me), then they have to work on their execution. This is what, the third delay now? One of how many more coming down the road for future updates?

Anyway, I'm getting ready to blow my PC clean and reinstall clean slate. Can people confirm you don't need to enter any product key if you've done the upgrade-from-windows-8 bit once already? Thankses in advance!

guys, YOU MUST BACKUP YOUR WINDOWS 7 KEY

of you will be damned to unactivated hell when your Windows 10 PC got hardware change and need to be re-activated.

yes, windows will offer to reactivate
yes, the store says "your device will be genuine shortly..."
yes, despite the store says that, your device CANNOT BE GENUINE
and yes, that message will be there forever everytime try to reactivate from store.

and yes, it is known issue ughhhhhhh

my chat transcript with MS
Agent Photo

Melviric M.

Microsoft Answer Tech

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Melviric M..

10:11 pm

hello, I changed my pc motherboard and now windows 10 refuse to activate

0xC004C003

I see. and I do apologize for the inconvenience.

10:12 pm

Let me see what I can do for you.

10:12 pm

May I know what is the previous operating system prior to Windows 10?

10:13 pm

it was 7 pro, upgraded to 10. then motherboard dead and got replaced. now it wont activate

it was activated before motherboard dead

Yes I do understand.

do you still have the product key of WIndows 7?

10:14 pm

its been many years, I'm not sure

Oh.

Is your Windows 7 pre installed on your computer or bought it separately?

10:15 pm

I don't remember but I think it is bought seperately

10:15 pm

I see. Just a heads up, we will need that product key for us to activate your Windows 10 now. Since that you have changed the mother board of your computer, we can't check the logs of the Windows 7 on your computer, so we need the key for us to validate that you have a genuine Windows 7 before.

10:17 pm

Here's what I can do for you now.

I advised that you will have to find the product key of your Windows 7 Pro.

And after that, please do contact us back so that we can proceed activating your Windows 10.

10:18 pm

Would that be fine with you?

its been years, it will be very hard to find

btw on "Store", it said "your device will be genuine shortly..." but its been like that for half a day

10:19 pm

Yes, after the reinstallation Windows 10 must be activated automatically, but since that you have changed the mother board of your computer, where Windows 10 license is tied up with the hardware components, that will not be activated.

10:20 pm

so it is normal for the activation to stuck like that? forever saying "your device will be genuine shortly..."?

10:21 pm

That message was only due to activation server delay.

10:22 pm

http://i.imgur.com/gPYPgAu.jpg

10:23 pm

its been like that for half day

10:23 pm

Yes, I do understand. Just to inform you, since that windows 10 is tied up with the hardware of the computer where it was installed, if you will change the Motherboard or memory of the computer, Windows 10 will be deactivated. Actually we can help customers with that issue, however due to our process, for us to assist customer we just need to verify that the customer, have a genuine Windows operating system before and that is through the product key of the previous operating system.

10:25 pm

you cant check my windows 7 pro key from my Microsoft account?

10:26 pm

I am very sorry but Windows 7 key is not associated with your Microsoft account.

10:27 pm

agh

10:28 pm

Here is the case number of our chat session as a reference of this conversation: 1309768645

10:29 pm

so I cant activate despite store says "will be genuine shortly"

unless I found my win 7 pro key

is that correct?

Yes.

But let me check for other way.

10:30 pm

ok. how do I save this chat?

May I know where did you bought Windows 7?

its been maaaaany years ago, I don't remember, how can I remember...

Oh.

Did you purchased it on physical store or what?

10:31 pm

its been years, I'm not really sure. but logically, I bought it from physical store. because my country's internet was very bad when windows 7 was released, almost no online stores, digital download also take forever

10:32 pm

I see. So our last resort to activate your Windows 10 was to find the product key of Windows 7.

10:33 pm

okay I understand that, but how to save this chat?

10:34 pm

You can just save this chat if you will copy and paste it on noteoad.

10:35 pm

notepad.

wait let me try

oooh! it works! thanks

10:36 pm

btw just fyi, https://www.google.co.id/search?sclient=psy-ab&biw=1829&bih=927&q="your+device+will+be+genuine+shortly"&oq="your+device+will+be+genuine+shortly"&gs_l=serp.3...1000292.1001301.2.1001558.2.2.0.0.0.0.568.682.0j1j5-1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..8.28.3868.eNmtQJ83X8k&pbx=1&cad=cbv&sei=5gEpVrXrBsHU0gSQoIzwAQ

seems a bunch of other people also got the same problem

now I pray I can find my windows 7 pro key

Yes, actually this is a know issues of Windows 10 when changing the hardware.

10:37 pm

Me too.

thanks, good day

Type a message here 

EDIT
for comparison, my pc when it was still on windows 7 reactivated just fine after 2 motherboard change. Windows 10 refuse to reactivate with only 1 motherboard change.

EDIT2
btw microsoft is breaching their own EULA. It was said the previous machine can be uninstalled and the windows 10 license can be installed on new machine.

EDIT3
there is no "consumer protection" in my country (we actually do have, but they just lazily eat tax money, never do anything, never answer calls, emails), so i cant file a complain... i guess tomorrow ill try calling microsoft in my country.

Last edited:
Well, okay then, maybe I'll choose to back up that key then, perhaps. ;)

You know of a good utility that can extract win8 keys? I heard of some utilities extracting the wrong/false/bogus key - because why just have one key when you can have lots of them? :p

Computer -- right click -- properties
Alt prt scr
F3tw585.jpg

unless product id isnt the same as the serial ?
failing that
NirSoft’s ProduKey utility

ps:
One of the improvements Microsoft is making to Activation 3.0 for newly built machines that come preloaded with Windows 8, you won’t have a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker attached to the machine anymore. Instead, this will be embedded in the BIOS. This will avoid product keys from being compromised

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm getting ready to blow my PC clean and reinstall clean slate. Can people confirm you don't need to enter any product key if you've done the upgrade-from-windows-8 bit once already? Thankses in advance!

Yes, that works fine. I did the in place upgrade from 8.1, then reformatted and installed clean. You just select skip or not now on the product key prompt, and it activates once you get to the desktop.

Well, okay then, maybe I'll choose to back up that key then, perhaps. ;)

You know of a good utility that can extract win8 keys? I heard of some utilities extracting the wrong/false/bogus key - because why just have one key when you can have lots of them? :p

your key is in the registry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\
In value "DigitalProductId"

Changing motherboard? Bad news! Despite Windows 10 EULA said i can Activate, Microsoft Support refuse to activate

so my motherboard was dead and i replace it. Now windows 10 asking for activation.

According to the EULA, i should be able to activate it. Heck, microsoft allows Windows 10 to be transferred to ANOTHER DEVICE. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

I called MS support, the robot fails to activate, connected me to human, and they refuse to activate.

Their official stance is:
  1. Windows 10 does not support hardware change
  2. You need to install windows 7 and upgrade to 10 again to re-activate (seriously? even if i still have my W7 disc, i dont want to lost all my PC data)
  3. Windows 7 is tied to the motherboard (i dont understand, what the heck does this even means... im now on W10 not 7)
I recorded the conversation and already got permission from the MS support to post it to public. So if you need it, i can upload it after "beeping" some of my personal data :D

(but its not in English)

Just as a note, USB stick versions of Windows 10 are retail, not OEM. I thought that the premium for USB was a bit high at face value versus an OEM disk, but for retail I might just buy that for the next PC I build (~2 years time) and keep using it.

So with a hardware change/fresh install you can re-enter the Win7 key to activate or not?
I know I have the disc/case somewhere with the Key sticker.

Not exactly. You can't use it in Windows 10.

When I changed motherboard a week or so ago, it deactivated Windows 10. After much dialogue with an MS tech support, including them remote desktopped to my machine to try to activate it themselves, they told me that I had to do a fresh install of 7, use my 7 product key, fully update it and then upgrade to 10. Apparently this is the norm.

As it stands I have a legit Win 7 product key that should be good for Win 10 however I'm pushed down the route of using an activation crack so I don't need to waste a day installing and updating two operating systems on an otherwise perfectly working machine. It is crazy that MS tech support can't activate a machine with a legitimate product key yet a 3rd party tool can do the job in seconds.

@tabs
yups, the MS support i talked to said the same thing. Must install W7 again, use the W7 key, upgrade to 10.

who in their right mind want to wipe their windows? ugh microsoft...

btw on W8, you dont need to use activation crack if you dont mind the screen goes blue every few hours. My laptop W8 license was revoked (i think it was after service or something, i forgot) and i keep it unactivated. it works fine. the screen just go blue every few hours.

i suspect W10 have the same activation nag?

wow, Microsoft is really smart in evading saying "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DO HARDWARE CHANGE ON W10"

look at this page, the last item
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10#

Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change
If you upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and then made significant hardware changes to your device, such as replacing the motherboard, Windows 10 might no longer be activated. For help on how to activate your device, contact customer support.

it sounds as if you can contact MS and get you W10 reactivated without hassle. The truth? far from that...

EDIT: i just realized

I LOST 2 genuine windows legit license due to MS archaic, draconian activation DRM bullshit. Thats like... 1 month of my wage! omg.. MS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back