Tom Clancy's The Division [PS4, XO]

+1...it looks next gen not super next gen...it doesn't look Infiltrator level next gen which IS without a doubt friggen amazing.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic and mocking him or not, but I have a sad feeling you are serious.

Super next gen? :D

Also i still dont get it, why its not announced for PC, seems like perfect game for PC audience.

It could be that unlike DICE, they are too scared to release a 64 bit only version which would be required due to memory requirements to replicate the same art assets.

I have a feeling a lot of pubs might be looking to see how BF4 does on PC before going the route of 64 bit only games.

You'll notice that most of the next gen titles that are coming to PC as well also have PS3 and X360 versions. I'm going to guess that if they don't include a 64 bit version that the graphics on PC won't match up to the Xbox One and PS4 graphics, at least with regards to art assets.

Hopefully it happens though, 32 bit (especially Windows XP), needs to die. :)

Regards,
SB

It could be that unlike DICE, they are too scared to release a 64 bit only version which would be required due to memory requirements to replicate the same art assets.

I have a feeling a lot of pubs might be looking to see how BF4 does on PC before going the route of 64 bit only games.

You'll notice that most of the next gen titles that are coming to PC as well also have PS3 and X360 versions. I'm going to guess that if they don't include a 64 bit version that the graphics on PC won't match up to the Xbox One and PS4 graphics, at least with regards to art assets.

Hopefully it happens though, 32 bit (especially Windows XP), needs to die. :)

Regards,
SB
Its not like next-gen playerbase on consoles is higher than PC mid-tier+ playerbase currently :)
For me its mostly strange, because Ubisoft Massive is PC dev in its core and Division is very feasible for PC players.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most next-gen thing IMO was the interface. Gone are the menus and floating stats panels. Wonderfully seamless (and no good for SD, I'm sure).

The most next-gen thing IMO was the interface. Gone are the menus and floating stats panels. Wonderfully seamless (and no good for SD, I'm sure).

Ubisoft has been pretty forward looking in their interfaces for a while.

Even with kinect, they were one of the few that "got it" with an interface that was relatively quick and intuitive. Especially compared to the competition (and even MS themselves).

Their kinect fitness game is a good example and so was the most recent tom clancy ghost recon with kinect interface for the gun mods.

But interfaces aren't something which "require" new hardware.

On the other hand, the level of detail and immersion presented in this game, is truly head and shoulders above anything on ps360 or PC for that matter.

Truly nextgen.

On the other hand, the level of detail and immersion presented in this game, is truly head and shoulders above anything on ps360 or PC for that matter.

Truly nextgen.

Can you post a video of this game please? I'm not sure what game is being posted in this thread so far but it's not what you just described.

Lit particles and SSR, man! (They really need to work on their environment shadows though)

The most impressive E3 video for me... As many have already written, this looks like next gen!

For a while I hope that the chatter is a shooter version of the character chatter in e.g. Wizardry 8, but alas they just simulated a "clan" chat. :)

Lit particles and SSR, man! (They really need to work on their environment shadows though)

That should be in every engine now. Metro:LL, GT 5 and C3 did already lit particles and C3 does SSR on current gen consoles :)

I'm more in ave to volumetric lighting and GI, also fidelity of assets.

I really like that the nextgen games finally have high quality smoke. Everybody is still using canned smoke sprites, but at least they are really HQ.

1370901592_tc_the_div2gunq.jpg

Some are using volumetric smoke [Knack, Ryse fireballs], also pre-calculated, but very nice looking.

So, for everyone loving this title, anyone want a Beyond 3D guild when it comes out? Or should we just take the arguments into virtual gunfire? :D

Its not like next-gen playerbase on consoles is higher than PC mid-tier+ playerbase currently :)
For me its mostly strange, because Ubisoft Massive is PC dev in its core and Division is very feasible for PC players.

A cut down version certainly. I'm not sure the texture data alone would fit into any video card with less than 3-4 GB of RAM. That limits your potential PC audience quite a bit. And I don't believe you'd be able to stream the texture data adequately. Borderlands already has significant difficulty streaming in textures without horrendous texture pop-in (on PC) and it features relatively simple textures. And that doesn't even get into the problems with the 2 GB limit for non-64 bit PC games. Even making a 32 bit executable large address aware isn't going to solve many things as it'll still cause trouble on 32 bit versions of Windows.

One of the reasons that The Division looks so good is due to the numerous high quality textures. Take those away, and the geometry is potentially very current gen (PC not console) and I'd guess less than what Crysis 3 pulls off.

Crysis 3 is likely to do a lot of things better than the Division, but texture quality and variety is unlikely to be one of those. And I have a feeling that texture quality is going to trump a lot of other things that could be done as long as it does those other things reasonably well.

Regards,
SB

Kojima reacted to Ubi's presentation and unveiling of the Division.

E3 2013: Hideo Kojima Feels He Needs to Do Better on Metal Gear Solid V After Seeing Ubisoft’s The Division.

I[Kojima] thought it received a good reaction, but after seeing Ubisoft’s [TomClancy's] The Division I felt I have to work harder. At E3 we’re fighting against the powerhouses of the whole world. At one time I thought I managed to win that battle with Metal Gear Solid 3. For that reason we gave ourselves the objective to “win the world once more” with Metal Gear Solid V. The V in the title is the V for victory.

A cut down version certainly. I'm not sure the texture data alone would fit into any video card with less than 3-4 GB of RAM. That limits your potential PC audience quite a bit. And I don't believe you'd be able to stream the texture data adequately. Borderlands already has significant difficulty streaming in textures without horrendous texture pop-in (on PC) and it features relatively simple textures. And that doesn't even get into the problems with the 2 GB limit for non-64 bit PC games. Even making a 32 bit executable large address aware isn't going to solve many things as it'll still cause trouble on 32 bit versions of Windows.

One of the reasons that The Division looks so good is due to the numerous high quality textures. Take those away, and the geometry is potentially very current gen (PC not console) and I'd guess less than what Crysis 3 pulls off.

Crysis 3 is likely to do a lot of things better than the Division, but texture quality and variety is unlikely to be one of those. And I have a feeling that texture quality is going to trump a lot of other things that could be done as long as it does those other things reasonably well.

Regards,
SB

Scaling resolution of textures is very easy, you get all texture files, run a tool and then pin their names up in the menu :) Most games already has 3-4 texture resolutions or streaming settings, i dont see it a problem a all.

Textures dont seem to be that high res anyway, but i agree about variety.
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_tom_clancy_s_the_division-22299-2751_0001.jpg
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_tom_clancy_s_the_division-22299-2751_0002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back