DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

When I am back from my trip...I'll try it mister! But this is a real tough one!

Can I somehow use your ghost?

Well, maybe. I noticed once that in front of me there was the ghost of someone in our club. But otherwise there was only the ghosts of random people with just a few ms to beat.

But first you'll probably have to improve your current time before having my ghost I guess.

My best time in the Venom Hot Lap race: 1:15.659

I challenge any Beyond3D fellow to beat me! :cool:

Hey, you beat my time there in that vid ,it was my ghost- good Job. I will not try to best it again though , that was the second to last star I had to get the tour complete and I tried so many times before I eventually got it.

Well, maybe. I noticed once that in front of me there was the ghost of someone in our club. But otherwise there was only the ghosts of random people with just a few ms to beat.

But first you'll probably have to improve your current time before having my ghost I guess.

I think the game selects the ghosts and duels based on your Performance. If a friend or Club member is in that Performance Region their data gets the priority over randoms.

Slowly plodding my way through.

I cannot shake the feeling the AI is heavily rubber banding. The majority of the pack will stick together like glue, letting you cache up quickly if you are behind. But the first 1 or 2 cars will always be unpredictably fast when you are in front and randomly slow when behind. It's odd and I can't quite explain it.

I've just completed the pro series. And I had a bunch of races end like this: http://realtime.lighting/dump/dc.jpg
Pretty much only when driving the BAC mono - which seems madly unbalanced. All the cars stay bunched up, but as soon as I get near the front the first 1 or 2 AIs take off. Here he was 4 seconds faster than the other AIs, who are all almost exactly .3s apart. It's frustrating. It ends up feeling like they are all predetermined where they will place, they never make serious mistakes and rarely seem to jostle for position aggressively among themselves. I've had the 1st place AI in a consecutive retry of a point to point race be over 5s different seemingly because I didn't drive as well.

I find you have to either drive like it's bumper cars (as in that video posted above) or drive exceptionally clean because they are so oblivious.

Having said that, I did have a quite spectacular race. It took numerous retries (due to being 180'd or rammed off the road a number of times). But it really did all click together and was a lot of fun, the AI was being much more dynamic than usual, which made all the difference http://realtime.lighting/dump/dc.mp4

Also here is an especially 'ffs' moment with the terrible exposure system making it close to impossible to see, and a wtf physics moment :mrgreen:
http://realtime.lighting/dump/dc2.mp4

Wow, what hit me in my first race is the sound ! Every camera position has fab sound from the car, the screeches and then you gradually see the superb graphics :p ! Especially in the custom race when the sun rises out of nowhere, the colours that the sky cycles through are beautiful ! and evenin the peasant cars at the beginning, the sense of speed is so so well done. I actually feel swcared at night, driving by those headlights !
And I love the driving model, it works if I play it like gt6 but it is forgiving enough for an amateur like me ! Good job, Evo !
If only it had a perfect launch !
@scf: Yes, one location just isn't enough :D !

I cannot shake the feeling the AI is heavily rubber banding.
It is, by most people's definitions. Cars drive slow when you're in back and fast when you're in front.

Evolution claims that there's no rubberbanding because the cars don't violate the game's physics.

Yes, there is a fine line between dynamic difficulty and rubber banding, but I agree that it is fair to draw the line there. GT3 did have actual power modifiers, there were tools for showing the exact stats for that for every car in replays (I actually wrote one of them).

Stunning ! The game is stunning to say the least !
And the most thrilling driving since , frankly I don't when I felt so thrilled by speed like this ! Fab !

Well now that I ventured a bit more deeply, yes the game is absolutely gorgeous at times, and gets less grey and gloomy. It just seems to default on cloudy weather much more often than not, which is a shame. What's wrong with a nice sunny day??

Completed all 225 stars tonight.

Evolution claims that there's no rubberbanding because the cars don't violate the game's physics.

Hmph. I don't believe it.

Tonight this happened:
http://realtime.lighting/dump/dc3.mp4

Final lap, I'd be knocked off the track (surprise!) and was making a come back. The car in 1st is an Atom, followed by a BAC Mono. I'm also driving a Mono. I had a *huge* speed advantage coming out of the last turn yet the other Mono still manges to stick to the back of the 1st place Atom like glue (basically impossible, the Atom demolishes the Mono out of a corner). It out accelerates me (it's the same car!) well beyond what drafting should do. And it even appears to be going faster when I max the car out. If that isn't blatant AI cheating then I don't know.

This sort of thing is just infuriating. It feels wildly unfair.
Arrrrtrgghhghgh!!! :devilish:

I tried the multiplayer, and a few games were really good. Once you get clean drivers you can get some very close battles. Obviously you also get complete cluster.f's too. :mrgreen:
It's a pitty that getting into a game is 50/50 at best - and I even had the start of one race not sync properly (about 3 cars took off a couple of seconds early.. wtf).

Completed all 225 stars tonight.
Atom, followed by a BAC Mono. I'm also driving a Mono. I had a *huge* speed advantage coming out of the last turn yet the other Mono still manges to stick to the back of the 1st place Atom like glue (basically impossible, the Atom demolishes the Mono out of a corner). It out accelerates me (it's the same car!) well beyond what drafting should do. And it even appears to be going faster when I max the car out. If that isn't blatant AI cheating then I don't know.

Basically it just has unrealistically strong drafting? Also, are you sure about the Atom demolishing the Mono out of a corner? I just thought it had much better top-speed. Will have to check.

Seeing AI cars it seemed to me that atom are slower in corners than mono, they brake sooner. But on straights they are a lot faster.

Boy, I am in love, I thought it would be distraction, an extra to play in between but it has pulled me away fro everything ! The way lighting dramatically changes as clouds pass over: just WoW ! No youtube, Gamersyde vids can tell you how it feels. I keep messing up trying to press the share button while racing and end up crashing :LOL: !

and the sense of speed when your car is hurtling towards a corner at 200kmph is ..... my breathing stops ! its scary and doing that at night, driving by your headlights is damn scary !

At one point the time trial started with cloudy weather and I kept racing around trying to get that gold. THen the clouds parted and ...whoa :oops: !!! Then it went stormy and Haze swept in......I have no idea for how long I kept looping on that track !

HEAVEN :p !

Back