PS3 Super Slim and pricing revealed

I thought PS2's price remained the same? But even if it didn't, the response due to the form factor was tremendous, and Sony may have picked up on that. Then again this new PS3skinny isn't anything like as classy as the PS2slim.

I don't think it looks bad, but the PS2slim still makes me smile. It's just so dinky! A flash-based PS3 could get that small again.

Apparently not:
" Users can also expand the storage capacity of the new PS3 with 12GB flash memory by connecting a dedicated HDD (250GB) to be released concurrently with the new PS3 *1"
"*1 When using dedicated HDD, flash memory cannot be used as inner storage"
http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/91110/PlayStation-3

Sounds like a proprietary hard drive? If so I hope it isn't a new trend. From the link:

"* The“Dedicated HDD(250GB) for PlayStation®3” is for the new PS3 system (CECH-4000A) and cannot be used on the other models."

Sounds like a proprietary hard drive? If so I hope it isn't a new trend. From the link:

"* The“Dedicated HDD(250GB) for PlayStation®3” is for the new PS3 system (CECH-4000A) and cannot be used on the other models."
Yes but it's only optional. From the EU PS3 Blog:
"and owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 2.5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD"
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/19/ps3-gets-smaller-and-lighter/

Interesting choice IMO at this point in its lifespan, larger capacity vs lower price. Larger capacity meaning they think people will continue to use the PS3 for a long time?.
Could this be an signal as to when we can expect to see PS4 or might I be reading too much into this?

But you have to buy a official Mounting Bracket (10/20€ ?)… Sony seem to learn from the 360 arcade, but not totally. ;)

A mounting bracket is just a piece of steel, dosn't matter what brand it is.
You can make one yourself, if you got a drill, screws and a thin plate, or buy a cheap third party one if it dosn't come with the HDD, it's not gonna cost the amounts you suggest. :)

This one actually has smaller footprint. The older slim is like bigger in one dimension compare to the fat model. I just don't like the ridges, that's going to be hard to wipe dust of it.

But I prefer the top loading, instead of slot loading. Never was a fan of slot loading. Price a little too high. Probably will pick the 500GB up when price drop.

This one actually has smaller footprint. The older slim is like bigger in one dimension compare to the fat model. I just don't like the ridges, that's going to be hard to wipe dust of it.

But I prefer the top loading, instead of slot loading. Never was a fan of slot loading. Price a little too high. Probably will pick the 500GB up when price drop.

It's really small:oops:
w43lZ.jpg

CIQwm.jpg

If you look at the skinny in profile, you see those ridges aren't square cut, but very small, rounded peaks like waves. There are no corners for dust to get stuck in, in contrast to PS2's square ridges around it.

http://newenglandgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ps3sideleft.jpg

I actually don't have any issues with it's looks. Quite neat actually, though I should see it in person.
It looks good to me too. The problem I find with this new model is that it isn't only more expensive than the current slim featuring a much bigger hard-drive, :oops: but I thought this new model was part of a move to rival Nintendo WiiU in price, but seeing this, this theory doesn't hold water.

I think Nintendo are going to win the holiday season sales by a huge margin.

I understand this model is aimed at 360 owners who at this point want to get access to the PS3 exclusives, including Uncharted 3 first and foremost, but perhaps also the PS Plus instant game and the Dust514 experience, Starhawk etc. But at this phase they should also release a Rayman Origins or LBP2/Karting bundled with the Flash only version. Especially an LBP2 disc based bundle at $199 could do well and assist Vita sales through Wii U like functionality.

Perhaps that Sony didn't set an RRP this time has something to do with it too, leaving it up to retailers to match price with demand for max profit?

It would have looked so much better if it had soft, matte plastic, I actually like the design.
The way it is now I really have to see it in person. The shiny plastic looks good on the 360S and the OG PS3, but here it is a little out of place. At least in pictures

Back