Last of Us [PS4]

I thought it had an excellent mood to it.
Reminds me of the movie The Road.

Colours don't seem coherent to me. and the tone seems undecided in some ways. Like do they want to go for a horror feel or a nature gone awry maniacal tone, or the solitude of I am legend, or hopelessness. It doesn't seem to have found its primary character, its undercurrent emotion yet.

looks good, but because of great graphics, amazing character models and shaders, not because of its atmosphere. Even Resistance 3 has a better grasp at atmosphere, and with worse graphics. Colours, the pallete of colours decided for a level, can convey the mood without uber graphics. This one's got the tech of the best PS3 engine, but lacks in the pallete. At least thats how I feel.
Maybe, they'll find their way by the time it ships.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billy Idol said:
hopefully not a move-only game!!!

Hopefully a Move only game!!!! ;)

EDIT: after reading the thread, probably you win.

First trailer, and it's already making jokes about killing people. Not a horror game confirmed. Definitely Naughty Dog though.

Looks superb!! The final part of the trailer looks like it could be in game, like the offspring of the GoW3 engine plus ND2.0.

Cornsnake said:
First trailer, and it's already making jokes about killing people. Not a horror game confirmed. Definitely Naughty Dog though.

How can this not be a horror game? Personally this pretty much means the game is dead to me. I have no interest in this ridiculously overused topic in videogames, movies, etc.

They proudly claim the trailer is captured from a PS3, so I doubt it.

Wait what? Can this really be real time?
Its wishful thinking that we can get these visuals this gen but I doubt it.
Uncharted 3 looked too good for the PS3. But this? This looks better beyond anything I have seen on the PS3. Its like I am watching the Unreal 4 tech demo on a current gen console

It must be. The actual quote right at the start of the trailer is:

THE FOLLOWING TRAILER IS CAPTURED DIRECTLY FROM A PLAYSTATION ® 3.

That is a pretty clear message that it's realtime. Impressive.

Its wishful thinking that we can get these visuals this gen but I doubt it.
Uncharted 3 looked too good for the PS3. But this? This looks better beyond anything I have seen on the PS3. Its like I am watching the Unreal 4 tech demo on a current gen console

Real-time cutscene from all the evidence we have.

There's aliasing and artifacting,and doesn't look beyond UC3 to me.

It's simply ND going the realistic direction, whereas UC was more stylised.

How can this not be a horror game? Personally this pretty much means the game is dead to me. I have no interest in this ridiculously overused topic in videogames, movies, etc.

I have no interest in a zombiee game too, but the problem here is that its ND. I think theybmust have put some special twist on it to make it worth investing so much into. I will stay neutral till it is confirmed that it is just another zombie game.

RE4 was fantastic while being primarily a zombie game. Silent Hill 2 and 3 were fantastic while being a zombie game. Well, this gen Siren was Fantastic being a zombie game. But yes the number of boring zombie games vastly outnumber these few. Lets hope the organic twist to the tale, that these are onfected by a fungus and the fact its from ND and we don't know what it plays like actually, means that it still has a chance to turn out to be something new n unique. Its missing the mood, though, thats for sure.

Real-time cutscene from all the evidence we have.

There's aliasing and artifacting,and doesn't look beyond UC3 to me.

It's simply ND going the realistic direction, whereas UC was more stylised.

Yeah I was noticing the aliasing and some artifacting but I wasnt sure if it was the quality of the video.
I dont know. To me it looked leaps above Uncharted because in Uncharted similar quality is present only during cut scenes where they use the in game engine with higher quality asssets to record them.
This one is supposed to be in real time while retaining high detail, the hair appear very natural and smooth, they are very realistically animated, the lighting and shadows on hair is beyond what is found in Uncharted 3 I believe, there is motion blur AND object motion blur, there is some form of subsurface scattering (or some trick) on the leaves (and I think on faces too?) I havent seen before in any other PS3 game, while each leaf also cast detailed shadows and polygon edges appear too small.
In general I have never seen such high quality shadows in a PS3 game ever

If someone told me it used the in game engine to render this offline I would have said....well ok. That gives a good indication of what the in game graphics will look.

But it is supposed to be real time.

I thought it had an excellent mood to it.
Reminds me of the movie The Road.

Loved that movie.
But no, I don't think that there is any relevance here besides the parent-offspring situation.
That movie had desperation written all over it.

I can't tell what kind of atmosphere they are going for this game.

That aside, this looks awesome!
I'll leave the real time- pre rendered debate to you guys :p
The character model for the girl is the best I've ever seen. And if they up their animations one notch, (and considering how good the animation in U3 was that's a lot), then we'll have something truly amazing!

nAo said:
although there is still plenty of spatial aliasing left, and even artifacts from the fake DOF
Don't forget the abundance of shader aliasing in the outdoor scenes in particular - and of course, shadows. In engine rendering sounds right - whether it was realtime or not.

But yea, it does look really great.

Back