Sony's NeoGeo Pocket's (PSP2/Vita) business/non technical ramifications talk

If NGP had TV out and Move support, it could be an ultra portable WiiHD with portable game and app support, which would be a strong sell with a USP. I don't understand why sony aren't trying that.

As an original PSP owner, I don't like the design, it's too fat and not as sleek as the original PSP.

I also think it is too big for a portable, it's not something you're going to carry around in your pocket unlike an iPod touch/iPhone, which is a mistake on Sony's part, they should have made something to take the iPod Touch head on, something PSP Go sized, slim profile with, good battery life and loads of space for movies,video and games. It didn't really need to be a huge portable PS3, it would have been fine if the graphics were better than the Wii/Xbox/iPad but had proper non-touch controls.

When you say "yet" you are speaking about the PSP right?

No… I'm referring to Sony in general. It seems that a large part of NGP's value will be in software and services -- since the hardware may be perceived as "just" more powerful version of what's out there. They are not that proven in general software except perhaps for games and content.

Near, LiveArea, Qriocity may be interesting but we don't know enough yet.

Because some people's complaints about the NGP arent being directed on the right areas and some of the newly introduced features and ideas that are meant to help remove some or all the problems that the PSP was facing are being ignored. You cant complain about the products offerings before it doesnt even release them in the market. Nothing's been materialized fully.

The platform looks like it is open to both casual and hardcore gaming so far, and a few examples from both worlds have been demonstrated. I dont understand the hasty myopic perception.

Some of the "complaints" are already touched upon

NGP certain addresses many PSP issues, but it hasn't really tell us what its ultimate user attraction is. At least I haven't seen it yet. Powerful CPU/GPU is an enabler technology, not a value to the end users (yet).

No… I'm referring to Sony in general. It seems that a large part of NGP's value will be in software and services -- since the hardware may be perceived as "just" more powerful version of what's out there. They are not that proven in general software except perhaps for games and content.

So you are basically questioning their competence as a company not the product design

NGP certain addresses many PSP issues, but it hasn't really tell us what its ultimate user attraction is. At least I haven't seen it yet. Powerful CPU/GPU is an enabler technology, not a value to the end users (yet).
Dude thats my point. They didnt just put better performance than the original PSP and said this is it. They demonstrated other aspects during the meeting. The design and features confess what kind of market they are targeting and what kind of user experience they want from it. From that point it will all depend on the execution.

So you are basically questioning their competence as a company not the product design

It's both. In terms of unique hardware features, the product design has dual sticks and rear track pad for games. In terms of the actual games, what's shown so far isn't that far off from home console gaming. The developers will need to work/think harder to differentiate NGP games more. In terms of Sony's past software, they haven't shown an integrated and user friendly app/OS yet (Most are one-off small demos/applets that have not been updated for a while now).

Dude thats my point. They didnt just put better performance than the original PSP and said this is it. They demonstrated other aspects during the meeting. The design and features confess what kind of market they are targeting and what kind of user experience they want from it. From that point it will all depend on the execution.

Yes, they have shown a few NGP game controls, and the social gaming features. The games are primarily PS3 type. Little Deviant is intriguing but it's one game, can't really generalize the experience to other titles. We'll have to evaluate case by case again.

At this point, we don't know how the social gaming features can help games directly, or they are just a latched on community on the NGP "desktop".

People may be open minded, but they may also be taking a wait and see attitude. IMHO, there is no rush in factor yet.

I'm not sure you can use PSP as a valid gauge for how PSP2 will do. If you look at a place where piracy didn't arguably destroy software sales (Japan), you can see that software sells quite well.

When you get to the US where piracy was rampant, HW sales were still good indicating that people liked the machine. Piracy would have boosted sales somewhat, but someone wouldn't have bought it just for piracy if they didn't find the platform compelling. Oh the other hand not everyone that bought it to play pirated games might have bought the PSP. So it's somewhere in between. But even at lower sales numbers the hardware sales in the US would still be quite respectable.

And we can't really use PSP Go as an indication as that was full of fail as soon as they launched without a plan for Day and Date DD for all PSP game releases.

This isn't to say I'm convinced PSP2 will do well, just that the PSP isn't exactly a good barometer to use due to the rampant piracy in many parts of the world.

Regards,
SB
While piracy has crippled the PSP, it wasn't the sole reason. See other products (like the 360, DS, iOS devices, etc.) have rampant piracy on them, but also have a large enough and diverse user base to create enough sales regardless of piracy. The PSP was aimed only at the hardcore audience, an audience that's more tech savvy and aware of the ability to hack/pirate games. The PSP's weakness was it's small audience, and lacking the ability to attract a sustainable number of new users to keep it going.

And that's where Sony will be tested when this thing is released. Even if the software applications aren't great are they willing to constantly update and improve it's features like other software companies? How user-friendly will the updates and UI be?

On the games side of things I wish Sony kept the PSP Resistance and Killzone games the way they were, separate 3rd-person portable experiences that aren't like the console versions. Going for the complete console-like experience is bland and unimaginative, they should be going for the graphics-rich PSN/XBLA type of games on the portable (which I hope they emphasize to developers later-on). The console-like experiences should be few and far between as possible.

I'll buy an NGP if it has the following:

1. a good ebook/pdf reader. they need to import in all the functionality from their Reader line of e-ink displays. Their readers are touch capable. you can turn pages with a flick of a finger, double tap words to bring up the dictionary for that word, etc... This is one area the NGP could outdo my itouch and my sony reader. It's bigger which makes it for easier reading but also still portable enough that I can read it while on the toilet, on the couch, while in bed, etc...and the screen should be fantastic

2. a good browser. a webkit based one. Since the ps3 is rumored to have a webkit based browser, it shouldn't be too much of a leap to think the NGP will have one too. If it doesn't....<SMH>

3. an app store with titles that are priced on par with iphone/itouch app store. Now, the only way this is going to happen is if Sony doesn't require these games to be rated by ESRB. Sony should only require ESRB rating for retail games. I want to see lots of non-game apps, I want a TomTom/Garmin.

4. something better than itunes for getting media on your device. For all the praise apple gets for their products on usability, I still find itunes confusing and just cumbersome, their must be an easier way to load and organize your music.

5. great local multiplayer games. For the DS, playing mario kart with a bunch of coworkers is fantastic.
No lag. I think these type of games is what 3rd party publisher should focus on. I do think a good COD game would sell well on NGP. For cinematic single player games, I'd rather play on the home consoles.

6. better media capabilities. on par with the iphone/itouch. There are a lot of little issues that annoy me about the psp.

Strangely enough, for the NGP, as others have stated - outside of japan, it's the non-gaming functionality that will convince me and others to buy one .

I cannot see this portable any cheaper then 400. Therefore I cannot believe Sony will be successful with the NGP. I thought Sony would learn from their mistakes with the 600 PS3. But they appear more ambitious and daring then I thought.

I like their approach with mobile phones. With PS suite it's going to take over Android gaming, and help speed them up to dominate iphones. NGP, however just doesn't make a lot of sense financially. Especially when Sony is on a roll the last 3-4 quarters posting profits from their overall gaming division.

4. something better than itunes for getting media on your device. For all the praise apple gets for their products on usability, I still find itunes confusing and just cumbersome, their must be an easier way to load and organize your music.

SONY has something similar to iTunes called MediaGo for syncing music, videos etc.

While piracy has crippled the PSP, it wasn't the sole reason. See other products (like the 360, DS, iOS devices, etc.) have rampant piracy on them, but also have a large enough and diverse user base to create enough sales regardless of piracy. The PSP was aimed only at the hardcore audience, an audience that's more tech savvy and aware of the ability to hack/pirate games. The PSP's weakness was it's small audience, and lacking the ability to attract a sustainable number of new users to keep it going.

None of those except perhaps the DS (don't have a clue about DS hacking) is similar, and DS didn't have nearly the portable media attraction as the PSP. Which makes it absolutely no surprise that PSP is doing better than or similar to the DS in Japan right now. And if we assume the DS was mostly bought by familes for their kids, versus PSP being more attractive to Teens/Adults, a mother is far more likely to buy games. Whereas a boy in his teens or a guy in his 20's is far less concerned with something like that. After working in retail I caught far less Mothers shoplifting than teens. :p

The X360 isn't comparable as it doesn't allow the running of homebrew (another reason to buy a hardware device but not the software even if you don't pirate). Plus if you are using it to pirate, you lose the ability to play online (something that wasn't really a draw on the PSP to begin with), if not by choice to avoid banning, then eventually due to banning.

iOS is similar in that you risk the potential of bricking your devices, a future firmware update bricking your device, a future firmware update making your device unable to connect to wireless services if you don't update, etc... And when you get down to 99 cent games and application or even 1.99 USD games and applications, there's a lot less incentive to risk something preventing you from even using your iPhone or iPad.

1.99 USD worth the risk of bricking your device? 49.99 USD worth the risk of bricking your PSP?

Regards,
SB

On the games side of things I wish Sony kept the PSP Resistance and Killzone games the way they were, separate 3rd-person portable experiences that aren't like the console versions. Going for the complete console-like experience is bland and unimaginative, they should be going for the graphics-rich PSN/XBLA type of games on the portable (which I hope they emphasize to developers later-on). The console-like experiences should be few and far between as possible.

How different are the Resistance and Killzone PSP games compared to the PS3 version ?

6. better media capabilities. on par with the iphone/itouch. There are a lot of little issues that annoy me about the psp.

I am interested in its media capability mainly because of Qriocity. A detachable projector may be interesting too, but I will need to see its quality (if it exists).

I am also curious about any new gaming experience; more than what they showed in Near and LiveArea.

For "traditional" games, I think the only content that may move me is Demon's Souls. That's mainly because the game itself has unique concepts. I thought about Heavy Rain but can't think of anything that make it shine exclusively on NGP.

It's both. In terms of unique hardware features, the product design has dual sticks and rear track pad for games. In terms of the actual games, what's shown so far isn't that far off from home console gaming. The developers will need to work/think harder to differentiate NGP games more. In terms of Sony's past software, they haven't shown an integrated and user friendly app/OS yet (Most are one-off small demos/applets that have not been updated for a while now).

Yes, they have shown a few NGP game controls, and the social gaming features. The games are primarily PS3 type. Little Deviant is intriguing but it's one game, can't really generalize the experience to other titles. We'll have to evaluate case by case again.

At this point, we don't know how the social gaming features can help games directly, or they are just a latched on community on the NGP "desktop".

People may be open minded, but they may also be taking a wait and see attitude. IMHO, there is no rush in factor yet.

Define PS3-like and console gaming and how they are different from DS.

How different are the Resistance and Killzone PSP games compared to the PS3 version ?

I can't speak much for the Resistance game on PSP given that i've spent about 2 minutes with it. However KZ:Liberation is to KZ1,2&3 as Halo Wars is to Halo3... i.e. completely different games but set in the same universe. KZ:Liberation was INCREDIBLE and it was a super nice and refreshing departure from the FPS format of the console games.

On the flip side i don't think that Resistance PSP and KZ:L being a TPS & top-down shooter made them any more or less console-like. That view doesn't make sense as there are TPS & top-down shooters on both PS3 & Xbox360. In the same way that there are FPS games on PSP (with shoddy controls mind you, but they still exist).

I reckon that the control interface was one of the principal reasons why KZL and Resistance didn't follow in the FPS-footsteps of their predecessors.

I can't speak much for the Resistance game on PSP given that i've spent about 2 minutes with it. However KZ:Liberation is to KZ1,2&3 as Halo Wars is to Halo3... i.e. completely different games but set in the same universe. KZ:Liberation was INCREDIBLE and it was a super nice and refreshing departure from the FPS format of the console games.

On the flip side i don't think that Resistance PSP and KZ:L being a TPS & top-down shooter made them any more or less console-like. That view doesn't make sense as there are TPS & top-down shooters on both PS3 & Xbox360. In the same way that there are FPS games on PSP (with shoddy controls mind you, but they still exist).

I reckon that the control interface was one of the principal reasons why KZL and Resistance didn't follow in the FPS-footsteps of their predecessors.
My point is that those Killzone and Resistance games are not like their console counterparts (different experiences in the same world). I don't want basically the same FPS experience on the NGP with slightly altered controls for it's touch panels/buttons, again I don't mind a few of those similar experiences for games but just a select few.

I get they were probably made because of the PSP's limited controls, but it also meant it was a tailor-made experience that required some actual thought to be created. I also get the NGP's controls facilitate a more console-like experience, but I want that tailor-made type of work to remain (a follow-up to KZ: Liberation and R: Retribution but using NGP's strengths). Having those to differentiate from it's console brethren makes it more notable stand apart in the eyes of average consumers.

None of those except perhaps the DS (don't have a clue about DS hacking) is similar, and DS didn't have nearly the portable media attraction as the PSP. Which makes it absolutely no surprise that PSP is doing better than or similar to the DS in Japan right now. And if we assume the DS was mostly bought by familes for their kids, versus PSP being more attractive to Teens/Adults, a mother is far more likely to buy games. Whereas a boy in his teens or a guy in his 20's is far less concerned with something like that. After working in retail I caught far less Mothers shoplifting than teens. :p

The X360 isn't comparable as it doesn't allow the running of homebrew (another reason to buy a hardware device but not the software even if you don't pirate). Plus if you are using it to pirate, you lose the ability to play online (something that wasn't really a draw on the PSP to begin with), if not by choice to avoid banning, then eventually due to banning.

iOS is similar in that you risk the potential of bricking your devices, a future firmware update bricking your device, a future firmware update making your device unable to connect to wireless services if you don't update, etc... And when you get down to 99 cent games and application or even 1.99 USD games and applications, there's a lot less incentive to risk something preventing you from even using your iPhone or iPad.

1.99 USD worth the risk of bricking your device? 49.99 USD worth the risk of bricking your PSP?

Regards,
SB
All the other devices have a casual audience (some more casual than others) that don't know much about pirating, technologically unaware that it exists, or is incapable of hacking a device without fear of damaging it. Any extra online services does help curb the problem, but it is because the average consumer wouldn't take the chance in the first place (financial investment into said service just further enforces it). The DS we can mostly agree on, however Japan is more skewered towards handhelds already, and Sony's marketing and/or PSP functionality somehow caught-on more in JP than it did in NA.

Maybe it just has with the PSP pricing here with less support from local developers, again JP developers were more focused on it, where as US devs were consistently focused on consoles where the PSP was getting thoughtless ports.

Last edited by a moderator:
SONY has something similar to iTunes called MediaGo for syncing music, videos etc.

No it's much worse than iTunes, or it used to be. That is why the Network Walkmans failed against the iPods.

Instead of supporting MP3 directly, the software would try to transcode to ATRAC or whatever the proprietary format was called.

They hired away an Apple guy to head their software efforts and don't know whatever became of that.

I would guess the appeal of iTunes is the store, though I've never bought much from it. Use it mostly for podcasts and free apps.

That's different. The old system is called Sony Connect. MediaGo is like iTunes (app), but the UI for the initial releases were pretty bland/bad.

Define PS3-like and console gaming and how they are different from DS.

Can't define them clearly. Demon's Souls has some very unique and interesting ideas that made the experience stand out from the pack.

If it's merely shorter chapters/game sessions, different controls (e.g., FPS to RTS or top down), then they don't stand out that much.

Ha ha, I still don't get what KZ:Liberation is. Is it an FPS, TPS or RTS or something else ?

Youtube is your friend:

Killzone Liberation is a really well-made game by the way, very polished. I played through it a fair bit myself.

Back