Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

I don't see cross talk on my 3D monitor usually (Only noticed it twice so far). But the visor's 3D quality is in a different league entirely. ^_^

The price ! The price !

Yes with this LG monitor crosstalk is at a minimum. My old viewsonic 3d monitor was garbage and had permanent crosstalk at the top and bottom 10-15 percents of the screen, in addition to the general picture quality problems. Still, we suffer with screen darkening and tireder eyes on any shutter glasses solution.

Using stereo is a bit like going back to CRT for me. Which makes sense as we're getting a 50-60hz strobe effect. It's certainly very playable, but not ideal.

Bring on future, less expensive iterations of this HMD and I'm there.

Besides the brightness, I think either the perceived distance and/or the pixel density made the picture very clean and sharp. I didn't notice the pixels at all.

I think I'll wait one week to decide. See how many pre-order the thing gets, and whether they have promo. :p

I wonder how confident they are in selling these sets. From the pre-order approach, they don't seem to want to make a lot. ^_^

Speaking of 3D Vision...

NVIDIA intros 3D Vision 2 glasses with brighter field of view, comfier design
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/14/nvidia-intros-3d-vision-2-glasses-with-brighter-field-of-view-c/

NVIDIA's 3D Vision is impressive and all, but one trade-off you'll have to accept when you put on those active shutter glasses is a markedly dimmer field of view than what you'd get if you settled for plain-Jane 2D gaming. Well, the outfit just unveiled the second generation of the technology -- appropriately named 3D Vision 2 -- and this go 'round it promises not to strain your vision quite so much. These shutter glasses have a lens that's 20 percent larger, promising a brighter experience. As an added perk, the frames have been rejiggered to be lighter and more flexible so that you can comfortably wear headphones without pinching your lobes. As for the newest 3D Vision monitors and laptops, those panels promise reduced ghosting, as well as 120GHz 2D gaming.

These shutter glasses have a lens that's 20 percent larger, promising a brighter experience.
That's crock. The amount of light entering the eye is controlled by the iris. Larger lenses on your shades only impacts what FOV you have. The light reduction comes from one eye being blacked out at any given moment, meaning half as much light. No way round that with active shutters or passive filtering. The only solution is a brighter picture source. 3D displays needed uberbright output so each eye sees as much as two would normally. I suppose some improvements could be made to the LCD's clearness when not blacked out.

(reads press release)

Okay, that article is typical clueless journalism. nVidia aren't claiming better clarity thanks to being 20% larger. They're talking about new tech, including:
3D LightBoost is a new NVIDIA display technology that delivers up to 2X brighter 3D images than existing 3D solutions and improved color quality. It also dramatically increases environmental lighting, making gaming keyboards and mice more visible, and reducing 3D ghosting.

The first 3D LightBoost-certified desktop display is the ASUS VG278H, a 27-inch LED full HD (1920x1080) monitor
So they are offering brighter output displays to solve the dimness issues. I wonder what that is, considering it's come from nVidia and not the display compnaise themselves. What's nVidia's experience of designing LCDs?

Probably just boost the gamma curve or something similar :) Probably get clipping, I think in a darken room the current brightness is fine.

Or they just use more LEDs and patented turning up the contrast in 3D mode? (Sounds like something you could get a patent on in retardo land ... which we unfortunately inhabit.)

PS. contrast in monitor setting lingo, so actually brightness (which in monitor setting lingo is actually equivalent to what is really black level).

My monitor already goes into super-bright mode when in 3D. Doesn't have any lightboost moniker on it though.

I forget how long I've been campaigning for nVidia to add an optional and configurable automated brightness and colour saturation boost when going into 3D mode. Perhaps I should've patented the idea and let them buy it off me.

I'm interested to know how they're going to boost the ambient brightness of my gaming peripherals though. Presumably theres a light on the back of the monitor!

Probably just boost the gamma curve or something similar :) Probably get clipping, I think in a darken room the current brightness is fine.

I don't know why but some 3DTVs like the initial Samsung one hurt my eyes. It seems too bright.

3D Vision is alright but I think a little brighter doesn't hurt.

More info on Lightboost over at Anandtech.
... they’re shutting off the backlight entirely between frames, and then activating the backlight at over 100% brightness when they want to show a frame. In effect the backlight itself is acting as a shutter.

bigtabs, you're using the new LG passive 3D system ? I tried it in Fry's. The demo wasn't working (also no 27" monitor). So I went with the Acer one instead.

I tried one of those LG passive displays, they come with 7 pairs of glasses! The glasses are comfortable and the 3D is actually really good, but ... is this half res?

Really cheap otherwise, starts at 600 euro.

Heh heh, the one above ^...

HMZ-T1 has the best 3D effects IMHO, if you don't mind the hassle of wearing a head gear. I put it on twice over a week apart to confirm I'm not seeing stuff. Still struggling whether to get it this Christmas (or get a SSD HDD, or upgrade to 4S, or something else).

HMZ-T1 has the best 3D effects IMHO
"IMHO" shouldn't be necessary.
I don't see how you can beat dual screen solution with interlaced/sequential tech.
No cross talk ,no ghosting ,perfect syncronisation (no temporal problems) , no sacrifice on light intensity....

"IMHO" shouldn't be necessary.
I don't see how you can beat dual screen solution with interlaced/sequential tech.
No cross talk ,no ghosting ,perfect syncronisation (no temporal problems) , no sacrifice on light intensity....

I have not checked out DLP 3D. ^_^
But yes, I think the 3D view in that headset is very nice, as good as 2D HD images, bright and clear.

Get it Patsu, you know you want to and most of us will be insanely jealous.

Bah... you won't be able to see what this thing can do from where you're sitting. It won't be a good showcase for virtual, remote folks. ^_^
Would be a good show piece among my colleagues and family members. Not a hassle I want unfortunately (My son will ask for more school donation, my co-workers will wonder why they need to work hard, my wife will give me the evil eye look :LOL:).

Back