Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

3net - The 24/7 3D Network from Sony, Discovery and IMAX - Ushers in October With Original Series Debuts and World Television Premieres:
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/05/3961725/3net-the-247-3d-network-from-sony.html

CULVER CITY, Calif., Oct. 5, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- 3net, the joint venture 24/7 3D network from Sony, Discovery and IMAX will debut three all-new original programs and feature the world broadcast premiere of two hit theatricals during the month of October, it was announced today by Tom Cosgrove, President & CEO of 3net. The diverse premiere lineup includes the original "docu-fable" adult drama series SCARY TALES, the original lost civilization series THE ANCIENT LIFE* and the 3net original program INDY 500: THE INSIDE LINE, the world's first 3D look at America's Greatest Race.

October's premiere schedule also includes several additional world television premieres: the Sony hit animated theatrical release CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS, the IMAX space journey HUBBLE 3D, hosted by Leonardo DiCaprio, and the sophisticated travelogue series WORLD CITIES 3D.

I checked out the SonyStyles store in Valley Fair mall, San Jose earlier today. Was told the HMZ-T1 visor will be in store on Wednesday. Hopefully they have time to set it up for demo.

Can't wait to try it out either! Priced at 799 euro currently is already attractive to me and it can only get better.

Can't they just widen and curved the OLED display ? And use software scaling to compensate the curvature?
Yes and no.

You can use a wide curved OLED display, but obviously only if you use it for both eyes ... relying on shutters for the stereoscopic effect (which are easy to place close to the eye). This in turn makes the optics for changing the focal distance of the display harder though.

If you use a single display for each eye and want a large field of view then you will always have the problem of both sets of optics having to meet at essentially the bridge of the nose and having to deflect light into the eye from there (which is a huge angle, hard to do with a refractive system).

I checked out the SonyStyle store in Valley Fair mall, San Jose earlier today. Was told the HMZ-T1 visor will be in store on Wednesday. Hopefully they have time to set it up for demo.

I tried the visor about an hour ago.

The headset mount is rather tight but I wish the front part doesn't rest on my nose too much. I had to tighten the center belt so that the entire headset was lifted above my nose. It's more comfortable that way for me. Took me about 10-15 seconds to wear it. I adjusted the gear a little... mainly to see what it feels like if the headset was not resting on my nose. Finally, tightened the belt to make it so.

That's the only complain.

At first I forgot to pull the ear piece over my ears. They can be moved almost completely out of the way. Once over my ears, the sound is fine (as in immersive and beefy). Overall, the sound quality is good enough for me (Volume is also not an issue at all).

As for the visual, it's stunning. The store set up a GT5 demo station, and a looping movie demo (Green Hornet + Harry Potter). I can't see the pixels in GT5 nor the movies. ^_^

The headsets don't have the bottom pad attached. A little bit of light was leaking from top and bottom but it's not too bad. If you play it in a dark room, it does feel like a completely dark small theater with only you inside. In SonyStyle with the gears on, it's still darker than my living room.

The 3D effect is not straining at all, and there is no ghosting. Really appreciate the optics. This is the best 3D experience for me. Even better than the theaters once I adjusted the headset.

I did get a little giddy/floaty while driving GT5 and turning my head at the same time (Should sit down and play). :LOL:

I think 3D music video with your favorite stars in it would be amazing. There is a short clip with a dancing singer inside. Not sure about pr0n yet. ^_^ Underwater 3D movie is my favorite 3D showcase. I wish they had some materials like that for show.

I can easily imagine a PS4 with a next gen visor with headtracking.
As shifty saiz too expensive
but I'ld like to see something which tracks your eyes (Im not sure how feasible this is) so it sees where youre focusing, the problem with 3d & a likely cause for discomfort etc is the focus is set on what the director wants it to be eg something on the foreground or background and the rest is blurry. Imagine if behaved like reallife and focused on what you were looking at, the result = near true virtual reality, $800 hell ppl would pay $8000 for that

The optics in HMZ-T1 stretches the perceived distance between you and the screen. Together with the individual screen for each eye, the visor makes 3D looks sharp and solid. There is no flickering or ghosting or eye strain when I used it. My eyes are focused on something far or further away, as if watching a large screen in a theater.

I am thinking whether I should pre-order this thing. ^_^

I tried an earlier version 7-8 years ago (I think), by Sony too. That one was crappy. OTOH, this one feels like the real deal.

I can easily imagine a PS4 with a next gen visor with headtracking.

This unit is actually pretty close. The visual is "perfect" now. I reckon it should be amazing with some PS3 titles, and especially PC 3D games.

Oh god no, not as standard! :LOL: I've given up hope of a console ever teasing me away from the PC. If it did have it as standard though... drool.. all fixed hardware games with stereo+headtracking.... drool... and about 1000 euros.

I just think the PS4 would have the power for a couple of 720p displays, and these things will have gathered more momentum by then; and why not throw head-tracking into the mix on a next gen visor? If they can make them cheaply I think there'd be enough interest in people who don't have space for / afford / want a new big 3D ready TV.

Are nVidia and AMD going to be supporting these on PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to check subHD 3D games like KZ3 on it.

Head tracking and retina tracking should be possible if Sony defines the tech framework for this unit. Head tracking with head gear should be trivial. In fact, we should be able to process and feed live 3D camera video to this headset too.

The first barrier is the price.

Then I suppose my next question would be: works as in working right now? Or 'works in theory'?

It's just a HDMI 1.4a 3DTV/Monitor to nVidia's 3D Vision. Should just work.

My Acer 3D Monitor and 3D glasses are based on nVidia 3D Vision. They work with PS3 as well as Sony's 3D Bloggie seamlessly too. There is no special config. They auto-detect.

They all use the same I/O specs.

The only thing we need to be careful is the IR 3D glasses. It may not be compatible with 3DTVs from a different manufacturer. As far as the 3DTV/monitor or visor is concerned, HDMI 1.4a should be good enough.

Ah, IIRC my monitor has HDMI but only does nvidia 3Dvision via DVI. Guess it's the old spec.

extreme noob question alert: I presume it wouldn't be possible to upgrade the HDMI port on a monitor would it? or even some sort of converter cable... I'm guessing the onboard circuitry would need to be compliant. I know jack-all about HDMI, this is the first monitor I've had that supports it. I read a few of the early reports on DRM and since then I've being ignoring HDMI in the hopes that it goes away. ;)

Not that I know of. You can plug HDMI 1.4 savvy devices into HDMI 1.3 port but they won't take advantage of the new features (e.g., 3D output).

Since early PS3 has HDMI 1.3, BDA defined special extensions to pass 3D Blu-ray via 1.3. I don't think it's an official standard though (Unlikely to be supported in nVidia 3D Vision). Someone else would know more.

extreme noob question alert: I presume it wouldn't be possible to upgrade the HDMI port on a monitor would it? or even some sort of converter cable... I'm guessing the onboard circuitry would need to be compliant. I know jack-all about HDMI, this is the first monitor I've had that supports it. I read a few of the early reports on DRM and since then I've being ignoring HDMI in the hopes that it goes away. ;)
No, the HDMI is all about the controller chip on the mobo. And the processing of that data. If you did upgrade the HDMI port, you'd need the monitor to then know what to do with the signals.

New monitor time. Every thought of a stereoscopic headset...?

oddly enough... :p

Nah I've not long had this monitor; it works fine with DVI, and I've a couple of pairs of 3DVision glasses to go with for some split or shared screen stereo gaming with the missus. Love the thought of a good HMD with head tracking though. I already combine stereo and headtracking in a few games. Eye-strain, crosstalk and having to keep your eyes on the monitor are small problems to me, but it would be lovely to get rid of those niggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back