Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

What are your movies encoded in and how are they packaged? You may be able to tweak something to get them to play. Although if they are playing but side-by-side, I can't help but feel that's a video player issue, unless the package is mislabelling them somehow.

Of course it is a goddamn video player issue! The video is mpeg2-encoded which is not supported by PlayMemories. I haven't figured out what other people use to watch them....

Apperently I have to tell my TV that it recieves a 3D signal. Pressing the "3D" button a couple of times makes the 3D work!

Apperently I have to tell my TV that it recieves a 3D signal. Pressing the "3D" button a couple of times makes the 3D work!

Yeah, most stuff I use tells the TV over HDMI that 3D will be used and then it switches automatically to the right setting, but formats that don't contain such information can still be supported by manually selecting the right format. I don't come across much of this though, as I mostly just play bluray movies and games.

Havr to say though, going from 2D to 3D is one of the biggest visual upgrades I've seen in my life, both for movies and games. For games of course it sometimes still comes with compromises (and of course passive tech is a compromise in resolution in all cases) but several games, especially slightly older ones on PC run at 1080p at 60fps still in 3D, and AA is no longer necessary imho so I never use it.

Went to Sony store to buy a walkman, but managed to get a HMZ-T2 as well. I was going to buy the HMZ-T1 earlier but it was sold out every time I go there and the last time I go there (a month or so before T2 was announced), they told me T2 was coming. I was like ok, I thought the guy was joking, maybe he got sick of me coming in every month or so for the T1.

Anyway, went there today, to get a new walkman and saw the unit on display, I asked to try it on, I must admit that thing was hard to put on at first, I must have wrestle with the unit for a good 8-10 minutes.

And you know what I didn't get a good fit, screen was blurry. There was a display light that shone on me from top and bottom, the image I got was kind a small, blurry and wash out. I was like good thing I didn't get this unit online. I was about to gave up on it but as I went to take it off, I must have lifted the unit into its sweet spot. Then I got a glimpsed of what it could do, so I ended up holding the unit with both of my hands and managed to block off the light as well. It had that Aquarium 3D demo loop running, there was that big whale, it moved out of the screen, I was like, here's my money, get me a unit from the back and oh I want that walkman too.

The set up was easy, and yes, it comes with a HDMI cable :) My freaking Bravias and Panny didn't come with a HDMI cable. At home I read the fitting instructions, it still took me another 10 minutes or so but I finally understand how to get a good fit. You can't let it touch your nose, basically the unit need to be as horizontal and straight as possible relative to your eyes, can't have any tilt. The forehead support and rear headband need to be quite secure. Tilt will destroy the illusion of size and blurred the screen at the edges. Extra light can also destroy the illusion of size and decrease contrast. I secure the damn thing tight, I managed to move around blindly looking for my dualshock, with the unit on without it moving away from the sweet spot. Actually, I was able to tilt my head around without the unit moving away from the sweet spot at all. Cable is pretty long managed to reach my light switch to turn it off.

In pitch black, this unit is awesome. I got a 65" plasma that I game on from very close distance (think arcade fighting game closed) and the screen from this HMD appears bigger and further in front. The illusions that these lenses create are amazing. Is not proper IMAX big, but it sure hell looks bigger than the last fake IMAX I went to watch Tintin. I haven't compare it to my home theatre with 150" screen, but I think this feels bigger anyway. Its much closer to a real cinema than my HT. Maybe if Sony could put some empty seats in the HMD, it'll be more like you're in a cinema.

I haven't watch any movies yet, just played games and demos that were on the PS3. Looking for dualshock was hard enough, not going to try putting disc on PS3 with the HMD on. I got Shadow of Colossus, start that, first thing I noticed is that you get that 3D pop just because of the PQ. I only managed to get that feeling several times on my panny but OLED is for real, the black level is pitch black.

Put the 3D setting at max, start the my save game, and I thought the game look a lot like Ocarina of time 3DS, ok-ish not really a great showcase. Got to one of the Colossus and start climbing it, things become great. It was awesome actually. Next was going to be ICO, but I thought that would be more or less the same. So Resistance 3 Demo, it looks cool a better 3D showcase but FPS and dualshock not really my cup of tea. Maybe I'll set it up with Move later. Next was F1 2011 Demo, not a 3D game but damn in cockpit view this is a good glimpsed of what PS4 could be. I got 3-screens set up, but this feels more immersive. I really want to put two more screens in that HMD, panoramic view would make a good gaming HMD.

Flowers Demo, didn't actually sold me the game when I tried it long ago, but with this HMD, I bought the game, it's really relaxing, I watch that movie Lawnmower man when I was a kid and I remember when that doctor was using VR for relaxation. I think this is how it feels. Again could have been better with panoramic aspect. But can't complain with this start. Ace Combat Demo was the same, I need to pick up a few flight sims. The immersion you get from flight is incredible.

Next I tried my staple game VF5FS, it looks great, I was afraid of input lag, but it was acceptable for me. It felt as fast as the Plasma or maybe a tad faster. The HMD gave me warning at 3 hours, but I think I ended up putting 5 hours into it. No fatigue or anything. This T2 is quite light. I didn't have any discomfort in that 5 hours. I don't think I need to make any modification to it.

Next thing to try is to put on some 3D movies I guess, I got Tangled, Hugo, Titanic, Conan and Transformers 3. Games I need to try Child of Eden, Motostorm Apoc Demo, maybe KZ3 and Wipeout. As well as some Move games like Sports Champions

I'm not really sold on 3D gaming on PS3 just yet, but as a 2D device this HMD is really amazing. The 3D pop you get from PQ alone is quite worth it. The picture size is large, but the illusion of distance is what's amazing about it. I really hope Sony pursue this route for gaming, 180 degrees FOV with proper IMAX size immersion, Come on Sony. Well that's my rant. I highly recommended, if you can get a good fit with the unit.

PS: 720p didn't really affect me much, I am aware people can see the screen door effect, but I can't. I can see pixels looking at my monitors here but I can't see it on that HMD. Browsing Internet with it was doable too. But I don't have keyboard with my PS3. Well Next I guess I need to invest in NVIDIA 3D.

Got any other 3D movies and games recommendation ?

Back