Long term future of console gaming, its last days *spawn

Isn't the future just cloud gaming on your phone that can be cast to your networked TV?

And aren't we already really close to that already? I already have an Xbox app on my phone (I think I have like 5 of them actually), that plays the same games as my X1X or most of them, that also can connect to my Xbox controller. I haven't actually tried casting my phone to my tv while playing an Xbox game using the app, but I've cast live NFL broadcasts in 4k from my phone to my TV and that seemed to work almost well enough.

I don't see why we'd even need a streaming stick unless it is to access a display that we don't have network rights to. Aren't the majority of phones that are being carried around far more powerful than these streaming sticks already?

Isn't the future just cloud gaming on your phone that can be cast to your networked TV?

And aren't we already really close to that already? I already have an Xbox app on my phone (I think I have like 5 of them actually), that plays the same games as my X1X or most of them, that also can connect to my Xbox controller. I haven't actually tried casting my phone to my tv while playing an Xbox game using the app, but I've cast live NFL broadcasts in 4k from my phone to my TV and that seemed to work almost well enough.

I think the cast to the tv, does not mean the data goes from the cloud to your phone to the tv, that is extra latency for no need.
Your phone tells the TV(stick) that it should connect somewhere and display what it gets, it will reuse the credentials that you used on your phone to start the game to fetch it to the tv.
I never actually researched this, but I belive this is how it works. At least for TV streaming, you can cast Netflix from your laptop and then turn the laptop off and the stream will continue.

I don't see why we'd even need a streaming stick unless it is to access a display that we don't have network rights to. Aren't the majority of phones that are being carried around far more powerful than these streaming sticks already?
For the same numerous reasons we have smart TV hubs like Amazon Fire TV stick instead of using our phones. It's not about power but sensible efficiencies. eg. Would you rather

A) Your 10 year old have an iPhone to play games on the TV
B) You 10 yo borrows your phone to play games on the TV
C) Your 10 year old can independently play games on the TV without your phone being involved

Rather than have dumb TVs (plain displays) driven by phones, we integrate the required functionality directly into the device or simple extension, leaving phones free to be 'phones'.

For the same numerous reasons we have smart TV hubs like Amazon Fire TV stick instead of using our phones. It's not about power but sensible efficiencies. eg. Would you rather

A) Your 10 year old have an iPhone to play games on the TV
B) You 10 yo borrows your phone to play games on the TV
C) Your 10 year old can independently play games on the TV without your phone being involved

Rather than have dumb TVs (plain displays) driven by phones, we integrate the required functionality directly into the device or simple extension, leaving phones free to be 'phones'.

Also why run your phone down streaming to your tv. Even if you have your phone plugged in your just going through the longevity of that phone. A firestick max is as cheap as $35 and you don't have to worry about it for years if not longer.

Back