Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

Which is pretty much pointless unless the person you are video-chatting with also has a 3D screen on their notebook! Edit: Also, what apps (Skype, MSN) support stereoscopic video chat?

Limited use now, but may be interesting in a few years time. 3D Bloggie can be used as a webcam also. They can be used to upload videos to Youtube 3D service.

I believe Toshiba also has a laptop with stereoscopic 3D screen and 3D webcam.

Sony Vaio S only supports glasses free 3D screen. LG has passive 3D (Cinema3D) screen. Acer uses nVidia's 3D Vision.

Dissapointing there is no headtracking, hopefully they can make an add-on for it later. Either way its a day one purchase for me as long as the image quality is as good as it sounds it will be an comes in ~£500. Was looking into a new 3d projector but this HMD should be far superior to anything in its price range in terms or brightness, contrast, screen size etc. The OLED screens might even hold up well to the current top of the line plasmas.

I bought my 3D monitor for $700+. Will be glad to drop $800 for this thing.

However, I think Sony should make this into a platform instead of a closed product. Should let partners add accessories like head tracker, mounted mini-camera, and other sensors. I don't mind a wireless video streaming service too.

EDIT: IGN Hands-on with HMZ-T1:
http://gear.ign.com/articles/119/1191759p1.html

Toshiba's glasses free 3D TV launches in Europe as the ZL2 this December
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/toshibas-glasses-free-3d-tv-launches-in-europe-as-the-zl2-in-de/

Toshiba has finally put a launch date on its glasses-free 3D TV. The world's first to be available to the public at the size, the ZL2 will take its place at the top of the company's range of sets when it launches this December in Germany (no word yet on other European countries, or anywhere else for that matter) complete with an LED-backlit QuadHD resolution (3,840 x 2,160) LCD panel and Cell-processor based CEVO engine technology within. Check out the press release after the break for more of the specs, no word yet on how much it will cost but the glasses-based 3D ZL1 it's replacing was rocking a £4,000 price tag.

Update: We have a price, as Toshiba's German press site currently mentions the set will cost 7,999 euros when the 55-inch version launches.

Samsung's Smart TV update will feature YouTube 3D videos:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/01/samsungs-smart-tv-update-will-feature-youtube-3d-videos/

Today at IFA 2011, one of Samsung's many announcements is an update to its Smart TVs that will place YouTube's library of 3D videos front and center for users to stream. So far one of the major issues for 3DTV owners has been a lack of content, but since it launched support for 3D videos two years ago, YouTube has accumulated quite a library of both professionally developed and user generated videos for viewing. HDTVs from LG added access to the site's 3D content earlier this year, and the update is expected to appear across the Samsung lineup across the second half of 2011. We spoke with one of the engineer's responsible for the initial rollout of YouTube's 3D support, Pete Bradshaw, and he mentioned the project's genesis as one of Google's famous "20 percent" projects that was worked on on the side, but has now drawn the support of a multiperson team to support, and a rapidly expanding number of viewers and content creators uploading videos to the service. The intent is to make viewing 3D just as easy as watching anything else, once users film in 3D with their phone or camera, they can upload it to YouTube and watch on TV (or mobile device) without worrying about the formatting and technology involved. We're still a few steps away from the magic bullet that removes the current hurdles for wider 3D acceptance in the market, but if you're one of the (not so early at this point) adopters with the hardware to handle it, you'll probably appreciate anything that makes more content available easily. Check after the break for the press release and a few sample videos to check out.

Sony VPL-VW95ES SXRD 3D Projector:
http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/new/690821.html

Sony announced a high end home theater Full HD 3D projector, the VPL-VW95ES, which uses SXRD technology to minimize the gaps between pixels. While the projector is intended mostly for 3D movie lovers, it can be used for stereoscopic 3D gaming as well with a game console such as the PS3 or any other compatible solution. The projector is equipped with HDMI 1.4, Sony's Advanced Iris 3 technology, 150,000:1 contrast ratio, brightness over 1,100 ANSI lumens and also supports 2D to 3D auto conversion.

Sony's VPL-VW95ES projector is a successor to the VPL-VW90ES, which was announced last September, and was the company's first 3D home cinema projector.

New features include a converted 3D mode which is based on a unique algorithm to reproduce a 3D effect from any 2D source. Additional picture position memory also remembers the positions set to meet aspect ratio and users can enjoy a cinema scope size screen. In addition, Sony's 3D glasses have been upgraded so they are lighter by about 24 percent and the transmitter has been built around the lens so it doesn't need to be connected or installed with a cable. A pair of 3D glasses are included with purchase.

The VPL-VW95ES runs quietly in the background with an advanced cooling system so fan noise is suppressed to 22dB at low lamp mode. In addition, the VPL-VW95ES has a motorised adjustable 'Lens Shift' function which means the picture can be easily adjusted making the installation process a lot simpler. See more specifications in this data sheet (pdf).

hehe , funny:
-conglomerate stock down the drain
"LG Electronics aims for fivefold increase in 3D TV market share"
The Seoul-based company is betting on its “Cinema 3D TVs” using its latest (LOL) Film Patterned Retarder, or FPR, technology, using glasses that it says are lighter and more comfortable and lead to less eye strain.
"LG.Display Stock Hits New 52-Week Low (LPL)"
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- LG Display Company (NYSE:LPL) hit a new 52-week low Monday as it is currently trading at $9.98, below its previous 52-week low of $10.66 with 520,195 shares traded as of 10:10 a.m. ET. Average volume has been 1.4 million shares over the past 30 days.
LG Display has a market cap of $8.2 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. Shares are down 37.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.

with glassesfree magic screens, you need an additional set of 8x8 2d pixels for usable "3d" resolution, a friend is a big fan, used to talk about lightfield synthesis and stuff. Based on my experience with shutters, I don't think that parallel spatial thing any cooler than directional backlights at high frequency , but whatever.

SIM2 Launches New 3D DLP Projector Line:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s.../SIM2_Launches_New_3D_DLP_Projector_Line/7584

he Nero series consists of four different single chip projectors, three of which handle your 3D needs.
The latest line of high-end projectors from SIM2 offers a few different options to those looking for an upgrade. All utilize the ALPHAPATH light engine and are made to work in what SIM2 calls "real world lighting conditions."

The Nero 3D-1 is the baseline model of the series. It features a DarkChip that helps to offer a contrast ratio of over 10,000:1. The 3D-2 steps things up with a DarkChip4, a 30,000:1 contrast ratio and a few other built-in technologies to improve picture and performance. The Nero 3D, meanwhile, focuses on brightness, offering 3,000 lumens instead of the 2,000 from the other projectors.

LG's 55-inch LW9800 3D HDTV earns THX certification:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/lgs-55-inch-lw9800-3d-hdtv-earns-thx-certification-our-home-th/

LG Electronics USA today launched the world's first passive 3D TV to achieve the coveted THX® 3D Display Certification.

LG's new "NANO FULL LED" model is a stunning ultra-slim full-backlight LED HDTV being shown publicly for the first time here this week at the 2011 Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association (CEDIA) Expo. Shipping now, the flagship 55LW9800 also includes the LG Smart TV platform featuring wireless access to a rich array of online content without a PC*.

This unique NANO FULL LED HDTV uses LG's film-pattern retarder (FPR) 3D screen technology making it the first 3D TV using flicker-free passive technology to achieve both THX 2D and 3D Display Certification. Joining an elite group of HDTVs, the 55LW9800 passed more than 400 THX tests evaluating left and right eye images for color accuracy, cross-talk, viewing angles and video processing performance. THX offers the only performance benchmark available today for 3D hardware.

[Blah...]

ESPN's new Monday Night Football deal includes 3D broadcasts, WatchESPN app:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/08/espns-new-monday-night-football-deal-includes-3d-broadcasts/

Just hours before the 2011 NFL season kicks off, the ESPN and the NFL announced a new eight year extension for Monday Night Football that runs from 2014 to 2021 and most notably to us, includes a provision for 3D broadcast rights. The new deal covers items from new studio programming (beginning this season) to availability of games on the WatchESPN mobile app to the Pro Bowl we still won't watch. According to the LA Times, the pricetag for ESPN -- before it's passed on to the cable / satellite company and eventually ends up on your bill in a rate increase -- is around $1.9 billion per season, up from $1.1 billion previously. While this should help quell ideas that ESPN 3D might be axed after its removal from U-verse, the bad news is it could still be a ways off, as we're told 3D broadcasts are expected when the extension takes effect in 2014.

Yep Doom 3 in 3D on a projector was the 'killer experience' for 3D gaming at one time.

Saw a GAF user impression. They had a private presentation for the (game ?) industry:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30876696&postcount=412

Tried them out... Im blown away. I will be getting them rather than a second TV for my gaming now. Here is a quick impressions list.

- Image is amazing. Contrast is great and it looks "HD" Way better than the HD Zeiss goggles.
- Feels like im sitting middle row in a big cinema.
- First cosstalk free 3D experience I have ever had. Way better than any 3D tv experience.
- independant controls for each display is great. No eye strain.
- no ghosting on the image and really good colours.
- not too heavy... could get a bit annoying after long sessions though.
- didnt really get a feel for the headphones but they did sound nice (too much noise in the room to give a review for that)
- It should look great for games. I'm excited for when they will be able to do full 1080p displays.

All in its a freaking good product. For the size of the screen you are effectively getting I think the price is ok... $600 would be perfect though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30878927&postcount=434

A private showing for industry types. Saw a few things like new handy cams and br disc players too. I only went because of the headset.

So yeah, not a whole lot to hate at the moment. Very impressive. Biggest issue for me is if the headphones match up to that pricetag also how to use a mic for xbox and playstation gaming.

EDIT: There are a few more posts by the same guy in the thread.

Oh the bane of Sony. ^_^

I hope they make it into a platform of HMD plugins. I'm also interested in pass-through mode where I can see the outside world via a 3D camera. Too bad the battery life will be gone in no time. May the optics can help somehow ? :devilish:

I'd like to see transparent, augmented reality glasses combined with a motion tracker so I could relive all my favourite zombie invasions in the comfort of my own home. Aww if the guys behind Amnesia made a game for it... :devilish:

Coop augmented reality Amnesia with my missus would just be the best thing ever.

Back