Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/26/masterimage-3d-the-best-glasses-free-3d-technology-yet/

Roy Taylor (pictured below), executive vice president and general manager for MasterImage 3D, showed me a working prototype of the company’s new screen based on what it calls its “cell matrix parallax barrier” technology. The quality blew me away. On a 4.3-inch WVGA screen, Taylor showed that he could demonstrate a 3D movie running in stereoscopic 3D. I didn’t need to wear glasses to see the sharp 3D imagery. When I moved my head, it didn’t get blurry. And if I moved my head too far to the side, it gracefully transitioned to a two-dimensional image.

“We’ve measured their alignment accuracy and we believe we’re 500 percent more accurate than the 3DS,” Taylor said in an interview at the recent Emerging Display Technologies conference. “We don’t have any issues with eye strain.”

The cell matrix parallax barrier is more sophisticated than the glasses-free, or autostereoscopic, parallax barrier technology from Sharp that Nintendo used in its handheld, which debuted in March but sold so poorly than Nintendo cut its price $80 to $169 last week. The MasterImage3D solution presents an image to your left eye and a different image for the right eye. Human eyes then take the two images and form them into a single 3D image. But the way that MasterImage 3D does this is more fine-grained. The 3DS uses a striped approach to its parallax barrier, but MasterImage 3D uses a matrix of cells that block one eye and not the other.

The result is high brightness, no ghosting or cross talk (which makes the viewer see two images instead of one).

[size=-2]werk, werk, werk[/size] :runaway:

3Net Bows First-ever Kids 3D Programming:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3d/3net-bows-first-ever-kids-3d-programming-24871

3net, the joint 3D network owned and operated by Sony, Discovery and IMAX, Aug. 24 said it will launch 30 hours of exclusive content for children and families, beginning Sept. 25 with original 3D series “Bolts & Blips” and “Dream Defenders.”

3net also will debut exclusive premieres of Sony Pictures 3D family films, as well as the live-action original series “Feeding Time,” the 3net exclusive “Puppy Bowl,” in addition to all-new short-form kids-oriented content. 3net will announce future exclusive theatrical titles as well as additional live-action and animated series in the coming months.

The “3net Three Dee Kids” Saturday and Sunday lineup will premiere in its weekend time Oct. 1.

Patience, Grasshopper. I heard Halo and Gears of War 3 will also support 3D. If more and more quality contents support 3D, there should be better chance in 3D penetration and eventual price drop.

I think Mick Hockings implied that Sony is open to release a 3D version of Vita if it makes sense down the road.

Following GameStop's footsteps...

Walmart includes free Resistance 3 with PlayStation 3D Display pre-orders:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/walmart-includes-free-resistance-3-with-playstation-3d-display-p/

Walmart is throwing in Insomniac's alien-war game with pre-orders of the 3D monitor as well, mirroring offers from Amazon and GameStop.

Resistance 3 was originally the default pack-in with the 24" monitor, but it was replaced by MotorStorm: Apocalypse. That decision turned out to be for the best, as now retailers are throwing it in anyway, giving you two freebies instead of one.

Don't shoot me. I have no idea why he or she doesn't maintain a PC 3D game list.

I was going to say "nVidia does" but that list is far from exhaustive, and some entries are kind of out of date, for example:

Unreal Tournament 3 is rated as Excellent, however since one of the later patches it's very poor.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing is really great in stereo, works flawlessly and adds a lot to the game, however it's not even on their list.

I think the venturebeat stuff is about microlens array, and thats nothing new ;) Magic films at it again, comes at a fee, drops resolution, directional backlight is better :)

BTW nVidia employee dropped the bomb today, said they work on RAGE.

BTW nVidia employee dropped a bomb today, said they work on RAGE.

'they' as in nVidia worked on Rage?
'they' as in nVision 3D stereo works on Rage?
'they' as in something else?

...also why are any of the above so surprising?

If you mean this, Todd Howard's comments are about his feelings towards 3D. He works for Bethesda, not ID Software. They're both owned by Zenimax, but don't share all the same ideas or philosophies. I would be surprised if even everyone at Bethesda agrees with Todd's sentiments.

A few chants from bandwagoners at a LAN party hardly equates to anything. If 3D does continue to become more mainstream then Bethesda will undoubtedly follow suit. Already with a few tweaks their games look great in 3D. Regardless, it has no real bearing on titles that ID produce.

I'll be more surprised if Rage is actually 3D ready certified because of John Carmack's 'meh' attitude towards it. At least it goes to show that one opinion from the top isn't harming the product.

If Bethesda continue to be stubborn about it when all it takes to give their fans the option of using 3D is to tweak the crosshair and make sure the skybox is at a proper depth then that's their own mistake to make. I can't see it generating any good press for them down the road, despite a few cynical people saying "Yeah, take that 3D gaming!". It's just lost sales and negative feeling from people who like 3D and want to play Bethesda games in their preferred format.

Last edited by a moderator:
LG's New A530 3D Notebook Features a 3D Webcam:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ew_A530_3D_Notebook_Features_a_3D_Webcam/7534

LG's latest laptop is a pretty slick setup. It offers a built in solid state drive for cool, quiet and quick running. It boasts a GeForce GT 555M graphics card, a Core i7 processor, 8 gigs of RAM and USB 3.0 capability.

The most interesting feature of the A530 though is the 3D webcam that allows you to make your own 3D movies and video chat with your friends in full 3D. The laptop also has a 3D screen of its own and uses passive technology for the best possible picture.

The A530 hasn't been priced yet, nor is there a North American release date. It's hitting Europe, the Middle East and Africa this month, with other markets coming shortly.

Following GameStop's footsteps...

Walmart includes free Resistance 3 with PlayStation 3D Display pre-orders:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/walmart-includes-free-resistance-3-with-playstation-3d-display-p/

Apparently it's a Sony move:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/29/3d-display-pre-order-offer-includes-resistance-3/

The PlayStation 3D Display we unveiled at E3 has been getting plenty of buzz, and I wanted to let you all know about a special pre-order offer that’s now available at retailers nationwide: If you pre-order the bundle – which includes the 24-inch 3D Display, one pair of universal PlayStation 3D glasses, MotorStorm Apocalypse on Blu-ray, and an HDMI cable – you’ll also receive a copy of Resistance 3 on Blu-ray. We’re excited to offer all of this for $499.99, and you’ll need to place your pre-orders by Sept. 30, 2011.
Check out the video below to learn all about the 3D Display that is launching in November.

The brilliant, ultrathin, 24” LED 3D Display is enhanced for gaming with SimulView technology, delivering individual full HD screen action to each player in two-player mode. Key product specs include:

* Full HD 1080p resolution and 240hz refresh rate for ultra-smooth play

* 3 HD inputs (2 HDMI and 1 component) so you can hook up your PS3, cable TV box, and PC

* Built-in speakers and subwoofer for a more immersive audio experience.

I found the PlayMemories app in the PS Store. It allows the user to view regular and panoramic 3D photos in the app. It's pretty much useless now that firmware 3.70 can do the same thing in XMB. ^_^

The only good thing is it's preloaded with some pretty panoramic 3D photos. I wish I can use 3D photos and videos as my XMB background.

LG's New A530 3D Notebook Features a 3D Webcam:
Which is pretty much pointless unless the person you are video-chatting with also has a 3D screen on their notebook! Edit: Also, what apps (Skype, MSN) support stereoscopic video chat?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/sonys-head-mounted-3d-visor-is-real-hmz-t1-arrives-in-japan-no/

Sony OLED 3D HMD in Nov and it's less than a grand. Hopefully Sony will continue to develop their HMD for several generations.

Yeah, impressive! I was worried that it'd take ages if ever for this thing to hit the market, but now it's getting here already this year at least in Japan. Impressions on this thing were really good, with its OLED brightness and no ghosting if I remember correctly. And not sure if I read it correctly, but you should be able to get this 100% right for your eyes, which is a big help.

Very excited to try this.

Dissapointing there is no headtracking, hopefully they can make an add-on for it later. Either way its a day one purchase for me as long as the image quality is as good as it sounds it will be an comes in ~£500. Was looking into a new 3d projector but this HMD should be far superior to anything in its price range in terms or brightness, contrast, screen size etc. The OLED screens might even hold up well to the current top of the line plasmas.

Back