Future of 3D gaming and media *spawn

AT&T abruptly drops ESPN 3D from U-verse during the X-Games citing high price, low demand:
http://hd.engadget.com/2011/08/01/a...espn-3d-from-u-verse-during-the-x-games-citi/

AT&T's reason for the move follows after the break, which lays out the case that even despite interested viewers chipping in their Hamiltons it has decided with there's not enough demand to support the "high cost" of ESPN 3D. Slow down on ringing the death knell for 3D everywhere however, since AT&T is still hanging onto its 3D VOD movies, for now. Its willingness to make the rare move of dropping one of the sports leaders offerings definitely speaks to the niche status of 3D, but experience suggests this comes down to a dollars and cents decision across the entire swath of the ever growing ESPN / ABC / Disney family.

Looks like 24" 3D Monitor is the crowd favorite. Another manufacturer prepping monitor for mid-late August launch:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/01/viewsonic-reveals-24-inch-v3d245-3d-monitor-ships-this-month-fo/

ViewSonic's V3D245 monitor includes NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ wireless glasses and built-in 3D Vision emitter to enable a new era of 3D entertainment

I finally found a 24" LG Cinema3D passive 3D monitor in Fry's. We will probably have monitors in US from at least 3 vendors in September.

I can only say that after my last experience with a Viewsonic 3D monitor I wouldn't touch one with a fucking barge pole.

Do passive in cinema halves the resolution too ? I find seeing 3D in Cinema the picture is more blurry. So normally I just watch in 2D if available. Odds are the film won't be in 2D until later though.

The resolution in theaters is not being halved. Unlike at home, theaters use 1 projector for each eye and a silver coated screen. You get two full 2K images beamed over one another and a pair of glasses to separate the two (at least in RealD). I guess the blurriness is simply a byproduct of the way modern theaters work: there are no longer projectionists that take care of such problems. It's a fully automated process now, and if two images aren't aligned perfectly anymore, the only ones who will notice is the audience (or rather 1 out of 500 in the audience).

I wonder if penoptic cameras would fit nicely for 'stereo 3D'.

The ability to move a virtual camera to eye locations and focus to a different depths of an already stored image would solve a lot of the problems with current stereo 3D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wahahaha... I haz it !!! the cheezburga !

Got a Acer 27" 3D monitor from the Fry's at Palo Alto.

Tested with GT5 and Sports Illustrated's 3D swimsuit video. :cool:

I'm too hungry to type long posts.... but (meow~) I finally found it !

Good thing the new standard should be backwards compatible with 2011 TV's.
I bought a Samsung plasma PN59D7005 3D tv and two pairs of glasses for it, one the cheapest €50 non-rechargeable battery operated and the other a bit more expensive €99 with rechargeable battery.
The cheaper glasses are not as comfortable to wear, but they keeps the reflections better away, the more expensive glasses are very comfortable, but they have more reflections. I ususally wear the cheaper glasses even though they start hurting the bridge of my nose.
If there would be standard glasses that combine comfort and image quality, I'd buy a pair. Maybe the light blocking could be improved too.

They are going down the drain actually , with nanotech changing the rules in real-time. :LOL:

I couldn't stand LCD 3D, tried twice, it was way too bad, DLP is another level (as it should be).

Quantum dot array displays will be here soon. BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quantum dot array displays will be here soon. BTW.
How do you know that? There have been loads of technologies 'with us soon' that never make it to market. It's taken an age to get OLED from the concept and early prototypes to actual displays, and even then it's a minority. If you wait for QD tech before getting a new display, you may be waiting a rather long time.

Its already here:
Stretchable, Transparent Graphene Interconnects for Arrays of Microscale Inorganic Light Emitting Diodes on Rubber Substrates.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21790143?dopt=Abstract
http://www.compoundsemiconductor.ne...9733873/name/Dream-screens-from-graphene.html

"This material is ready to scale right now," he said.

OLED is not here because its not cheap, unlike LCD or nanotech stuff. ( And we all know why LCD is cheap).

They sat on it way too long , now it can be even called obsolete.

Really? I understood that the cinemas did in fact use two projectors, or at least a unit with two reels being projected each through its own lens. Some people even have home setups this way.

Why would they need to be out of sync? The point of passive is that you use polarized light so you can have both images at once.

and more to the point, this tech was used 60 years ago :)

They impregnate the graphene with Quantum dots , hook it up to UV excitation and that's about it. All this stuff exists already.
This is that "synthetic flexible LED".
Its cheaper and better than OLED, it makes next to zero sense to manufacture OLED anymore.

That's laboratory test examples. It's not 'here' until it's in a commercial product available to buy (and it's several years later that the tech become mainstream priced). That's when all sorts of issues that aren't apparent in producing proof-of-concept samples rear their ugly head and put a crimper on things.

I won't go any more OT with this. Suffice to say over the past decades I have known many a headline technology never get anywhere, and I personally would never wait on any specific tech. I 'waited' as it were for SED, but that clearly wasn't going anywhere so had the sense to buy LCD as here and now. If there's a TV I want that's giving good results, I would not wait for a much better technology that's 'just around the corner' as it may never appear. Much like I won't put my cinema-ticket buyng dollars aside for an upcoming movie like Uncharted because it might never get released, even if it's in production, even if it's in post. Quantum dot displays certainly aren't a current or near relevant point of the adoption of 3D either. When the first 3D QD display hits the market, then you can start talking about how it'll revolutonise the industry! ;)

Firmware 3.70 has been released. Supports 3D photo viewing in XMB and the "Photo Gallery" app.
3D HDD video playback not supported in this release. 8^(

More details here, amongst other features:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/09/ps3-system-software-update-v3-70/

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:

* 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.

* 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

EDIT:
Currently, to watch the videos on my 3D Bloggie, I have to use the bundled PC/Mac software, or plug the camera into the 3D monitor/TV directly. The 3D effect is very very well done. I thought the result would be somewhat mediocre. ^_^ Very glad I brought it to the trip.

3D photos are certainly less impactful than videos.

Will have to wait for Sony to update PS3 again. 8^(
My Acer monitor only has 1 HDMI input. It's inconvenient to plug/unplug my PS3 and the camera to view the videos.

ATSC Begins Work On 3D Broadcast Standard:
http://www.twice.com/article/472407-ATSC_Begins_Work_On_3D_Broadcast_Standard.php

The Advanced Television Systems Committee said Monday it is now working on a 3D television transmission standard for both fixed and mobile device broadcast television services.

The new project is being led by Dr. Youngkwon Lim of the Daejon, South Korea-based Electronics and Telecommunication Research Institute, and is expected to take up to a year to complete.

Lim was said to have been selected to head up the team due to his extensive background in broadcast technology research and his experience in international standards development.

The new 3DTV broadcast standard is said to build on the extensive efforts over the last year by the ATSC 3DTV Planning Team and will allow:

3D content delivered on one ATSC terrestrial channel to fixed receivers, with delivery of both views (left and right eye) in real-time;

3D content delivered on one ATSC terrestrial channel to mobile/handheld receivers, and delivery of both views in real-time; and

3D content delivered in non-real-time.

Back