Gamescom 2010 : General Discussion

Sony conference is underway, no video apparently (except for someone's mobile Nokia), but I'm looking at the PS EU Blog and the Eurogamer live texting right now. Nothing big yet, 16 out of the 38 million + sold worldwide were sold in Europe.

Lots of stuff about the new media things, like Play TV 2 with its social community features, MUBI (see Mubi.com) and other stuff. ITV coming to UK to compliment BBC iPlayer soon. More channels coming also for Spain, Australia and other countries.

Two new bundles, 160GB for 299 and 320GB for 349, but there's a trick to this one: it's actually a Move bundle.

Gran Turismo 5 European Launch date: 3rd November. Woo!

Fairly big one for us Move'rs: M.A.G. is getting Move support!
Virtua Tennis 4 also, no big surprise there, but it's playable at the show floor as someone (I think from 1up) already spotted before the show started. Gets 3D too.

Another game that supports both of these: multiplayer Killzone 3 now being shown, with Jet Packs and Giant Mechs

Insomniac rocks!!

EDIT: is it true?
Co-op Ratched and Clank?!
4-player co-op...even some competitive?

Resistance 3!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaaand .... Resistance 3 :)

Hopefully it's good and has a full co-op campaign or something.

Fairly big one for us Move'rs: M.A.G. is getting Move support!

Alight, I'm out of here. No time to follow but at least I have a *GREAT* news to go by. They should add more team coordination tools to the platform besides pure gunfight.

EDIT: ...and cr*p !

Aaaand .... Resistance 3 :)

Hopefully it's good and has a full co-op campaign or something.

I'll need to come back sooner than I thought.

Also regarding the EA Sports game... is it their EA Live system ? If so, that's their own cross platform motion tracking system right ? It's based on some sort of arm and leg bands ?

But this is just Mass Effect 2 right? Is there any sense buying it without having played the first game? Does the story continue onwards from the first?

Yes the story continues, and you can probably do fine without the First, but you WILL miss quite a lot of references to the first. The history logs explain it to some extent, but not fully.

As well you'll have no choice but to start out as a Renegade themed Shepard with all conversation in game being colored by such. Paragon themed Shepard will be absent. Although there's always a chance that they might modify character creation to allow it, but I find that doubtful.

As well the story from the first was better, and without having experienced that I can't even imagine ME2's story rating as even a second rate storyline. The story from the first gives some weight to the second which helps prop up its rather anemic storyline.

Also regarding the EA Sports game... is it their EA Live system ? If so, that's their own cross platform motion tracking system right ? It's based on some sort of arm and leg bands ?

Yes and it's pretty...horrible (same for Wii version). From everything I've seen, when directly compared to the Kinect version the response lag is far worse as is the synching with player movements. But that's a bit to be expected since it's only really tracking a couple of points.

Regards,
SB

Yes and it's pretty...horrible (same for Wii version). From everything I've seen, when directly compared to the Kinect version the response lag is far worse as is the synching with player movements. But that's a bit to be expected since it's only really tracking a couple of points.

Fewer control points should be faster, just like Kinect reducing the control points since the original announcement. Perhaps EA's tech needs more work.

Bigger HDs to keep prices the same, when the larger capacity is probably the same cost to them as the previous HD was.

I guess they're happy with their current sales. No hurry in ushering in the next gen either.

The hardware and pricing are fine. They need to recoop the investment afterall. They still "owe" us a couple of things on the software side though:
* 3D Blu-ray playback (Nov ?)
* Blu-ray Managed Copy (Nov ?)
* Their cross-game chat firmware which was rumored and witnessed to be running
* Proper PS+ packaging, not the current amatuerish version
* PS Move integration into XMB and standard apps

The first game has an even better story than the second, but the second is globally a better game.

Thinking about it I really don't think it is. I loved the first ME, but the second was underwhelming. I've not had any urge to replay ME2, whereas the first game I've played 2-3 times.

Glad to see they're porting it to the PS3 though, although it is a real shame they're not doing both ME and ME2 in a bundle.

We'll see if they get a bump in sales like the new Xbox 360 did.

All we're talking about is larger drive, which you can't really fill with games -- maybe if they enabled full install of games to the HDD and running them off the HDD.

I don't think they are looking for a bump in sales like that. There are GT5 and PS Move campaigns underway. Their attention will probably be on those things.

Bit disappointing in gamescom had hoped to see some Codename:Kingdom footage.
Glad to see pc gaming is getting some love from microsoft and ME 2 going to ps 3.

This. Not too exciting. And ditto on Codename Kingdoms.

Guess hoping the industry would start to use gamescom as a second e3 was too much to hope for.

Back