Gamescom 2010 : General Discussion

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Ok, so today we have a few 'conferences'. Microsoft doesn't really have one, more like an extensive hands on with mostly Kinect it seems, and it's going on right now.

Liveblog here:
http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/17/gamescom-2010-microsoft-play-day-liveblog-at-12-30pm-cet/
live video: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/dishedtest
Sony is tonight at 6 PM in Europe and EA also has something at 4 PM.

EA's is visible live here: http://live-event.ea.com/gamescom/live/

The rest will probably only be liveblogged initially. EU Blog promised one, but I haven't heard of many others:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

EU is getting a GamesCom space in Home like the E3 space in the U.S. with trailers and such.

Just booked my 2 day trip to cologne gamescom :cool:

Looking forward to see the big 3:

Motorstorm 3, Gears of War 3, Killzone 3

and I heard that HALO:Reach will be there as well - I hope I can test SP campaign?!
Crysis 2 is propably there as well...and I hope Rage will be shown...and Brink?!

Maybe I can finally test 3D gaming and see what all this fuzz is about?!

If you guys have some recommendations please post and let me know...or if there is something special you want to know about a certain game I can try to check it!!

Just booked my 2 day trip to cologne gamescom :cool:

Looking forward to see the big 3:

Motorstorm 3, Gears of War 3, Killzone 3

and I heard that HALO:Reach will be there as well - I hope I can test SP campaign?!
Crysis 2 is propably there as well...and I hope Rage will be shown...and Brink?!

Maybe I can finally test 3D gaming and see what all this fuzz is about?!

If you guys have some recommendations please post and let me know...or if there is something special you want to know about a certain game I can try to check it!!

Pretty sure I read somewhere on he ubiquitous neogaf, or maybe elsewhere, that there will be no gears 3 at gamescom.

If Warner Bros show WITN, which did make an unreported appearance at E3, try and grab some gameplay footage!

there are rumors that Mass Effect is coming to PS3, I wonder if they are true?!

EDIT: IT'S TRUE!!!
That's the best X360 retail game, in my opinion. Great story, characters, relatively easy to play.... Good news for those who didnt play Mass Effect before.

Need for Speed : Hot Pursuit,:oops: :oops: :smile: :eek: this game is based on one of the best games ever made and the best NFS, in my opinion. Great!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the best X360 retail game, in my opinion. Great story, characters, relatively easy to play.... Good news for those who didnt play Mass Effect before.

But this is just Mass Effect 2 right? Is there any sense buying it without having played the first game? Does the story continue onwards from the first?

But this is just Mass Effect 2 right? Is there any sense buying it without having played the first game? Does the story continue onwards from the first?

ME2 does a good work in explaining the ME history and end aswell as codex having entries talking about things from ME. So ME2 as a standalone is alright and solid.

Also lol about the Harry Potter kinect demo. So unsynced and disastrous gameplay IMO. I almost believed it was a recorded video...but that aint right no?

[strike]Crysis 2 multiplayer.. "OMG this is so amazing, sweet lord my EYES"... no really looked like well.. standard multiplayer? Looked alright but seemed to lack quite some features. I saw the pads where running down with keyboard and mouse cables... [/strike]

I'll take that back, it was OK and fairly interesting. I was just irritated the PC I used to watch stream crashed twice (old PC).

Anyway he looked so nice and happy (the Crytek dev) and he delivers so I trust it will be good. Probably just how it looks with gamepads. M+KB allows for much more intense and quality wise gameplay without looking like 80's Japanese robot movements (see "Intergalactic" with Beastie Boys).

Bullestorm looks interesting with some nice combat combos and executions. Nice graphics to.

EDIT: The EA sports game with SONY(?) movement tracking was ridicolous. Incredibly unsynced with huge lag. :LOL:

ME2 does a good work in explaining the ME history and end aswell as codex having entries talking about things from ME. So ME2 as a standalone is alright and solid.

Yeah, I was certainly going to skip ME1, but have been toying with the idea of playing ME2. Even tried the PC demo, which runs fairly well on my PC (which is a surprise, as most things don't like my 4350 ;) ). Still of the exclusives on 360 (mind you I have a 360) this was definitely the one I was most interested in trying, so it's definitely good news. Depending on the quality of the port though I may still go for the 360 version (though as I don't have much HD space on there, the PS3 version may actually be a likely candidate).

Yeah, I realized this as well that in Germany, Gears 3 is a little bit delicate - buu, I looked forward to see it!

Well, EA showed Bulletstorm too... since the actual public gameplay is sectioned off, it shouldn't be a problem...

But I doubt they could show something like L4D1 or 2, since the non-german versions of these games are actually banned already.

@Arwin

I suggest waiting to see the PS3 ME2 deal. It might come with DLCs included at a fair price.

Bit disappointing in gamescom had hoped to see some Codename:Kingdom footage.
Glad to see pc gaming is getting some love from microsoft and ME 2 going to ps 3.

Yes there is, but for a game so absolutely based on the story and characters it might chance the perception about the series for some people that never played it before. Playing the first game is not mandatory to enjoy the second, but it would be certainly a good idea for those who like ME2 and never played the first.

The first game has an even better story than the second, but the second is globally a better game.

I missed the Mako though. The new scan system to obtain Iridium, Paladium, and other metals is fine if you don't want to explore new planets. However, I liked the exploration aspect in ME1 and finding anomalies that way. Even so, the Mako was also flawed, so in Mass Effect 3 they will probably find a balanced, halfway solution between the exploration to find anomalies and the new scanning system.

In Mass Effect 2 they developed the new characters more than the story.

Mass Effect 1's story is much more epic. It's surprise after surprise. You also take very important decisions in many regards. Besides that there are people like Wrex, then things like letting the Rachni queen live or die -they are a pestilence and a killer race in the galaxy but if you kill her you cause Rachni's extinction-, the Protheans, the story of the Reapers, when you find the Prother needle, other Spectres like Nihlus, the Council, etc etc.

The final boss in ME1 was also tough and very epic, even playing in the easier difficulty levels. Saren was a great baddie and final boss.

I have to admit that the story in Mass Effect 1 is much more developed, maybe because the second part of the series suffers from the syndrome of the second parts of a trilogy, or whatever. The so called introduction, body (or climax) and ending thing. In the end, it's easier to tell the beginning of a tale, and an ending, than the body.

Mass Effect 2 is like the turning point of a narrative work, leading to its point of highest develop of the story in which the solution, I think, should be given. I expect the final outcome and denouement of the game to preserve the epicness of the first game, and maybe enhancing it. I kept playing the first game because, apart from the fact that it was something new and original with a great universe, the story had me totally hooked.

As a game, despite some simplifications, ME2 is a better game than 1. I missed the inventory system of the first game though. The inventory kind of sucked in ME1 because it only added a lot of hassle, but they should have changed it instead of getting rid of it completely.

The characters in ME2 are better, a helluva nice bunch of people with different personalities. Really good stuff.

Other than that, it's the most interesting retail game of X360, with overrated games like Halo. But this is normal in an industry where if you don't score certain games with a 10 the developers don't let you have access to some content like videos or pics, detracting your webpage -sigh-. But that's a different story.

Compared to Halo or Gears, in my opinion, Mass Effect is a Porsche and those are a Fiat Panda. Gears can be fun though, and Halo 1 and 2 were okay too.

Bioware are gods. And EA are godesses and gods too. In my opinion, it's the best gaming company that there is -not counting Nintendo since they only work for their consoles-.

As for your third question... yes, the story continues onwards from the first. It's a pity that taking into account the Blu-ray capacity to store information, they don't port ME1 too.

I don't know what their approach will be in order to allow PS3 users understanding the full story behind the game. There are walkthrough videos on Youtube, but it's not the same. Apart from that there is a nice, short video in ME2 demo featuring a quick, and well done, summary of the first game's story, but obviously it's quite limited.

The ME universe and story is quite fascinating and the strong point of the franchise. It's not the best or most complex adventure, not the best or most complex RPG, and an average shooter, but as a mix of genres they managed to make an very lowly flawed game, with a lot of great things to offer.

I applaud Bioware's imagination to create such a rich and complex universe, no pun intended. Apparently, there will be more details about ME2 PS3 version soon, so we will see what they come up with. I guess they will add all the DLC for free and perhaps some exclusive missions.

Back