Gamescom 2009 : Sony conference discussion

I wonder; if Other OS is gone, will we see more attempts to crack the system? That was, supposedly, one of the big reasons why the PS3 hadn't been cracked yet.
Said the hackers that could not make a dent on Sonys antihacking measures.

Sonys kung fu is strong this time, I doubt it will ever be truely hacked.

I'm most excited about the new firmware, as I like eye candy :)
Animated themes is a cool addition, as is the "what's new" panels.
Sony sould change the lists under video, music, photo and games to similar grid like structure, that would make navigating faster and minimise scroling up and down when searching for items.
Another suggeston would be quick bookmarks for the net browser done in similar fashion under the Webbrowser icon.

Im wondering how big will be the size of the new animated themes. How much content can be showed in it.

Hopefully Sony will release editor in the near future.

Great little conference, with only two bummers, one big (for me, not for the PS3 in general):

- no install Other OS? I hate that. It's what makes Cell development accessible. It's ok as long as my current one keeps working of course, and I'm sure it will remain fairly easy to get one but still. And how will they reliably be able to continue with their cooperation with universities, which they only just announced? Use much more expensive devkits there? Hmm....

They will still have older version to sell or just "correctly" patched firmware for new models.

If I know correctly you can still buy fat PS2 with linux os.

Yeah, maybe that's the whole thing - the YDL people sell a PS3 now with Linux installed. They may be able to supply the demand for a long, long time.

The Sony conference is completely available to watch in Home today, with very good near-instant streaming. But not just that - there is a tonne of interviews following the main presentation from the show-floor. Right now for instance, I'm watching a Ratchet & Clank interview.

I've already seen some great other stuff too. Best bit for me personally is that the physics and AI for Hustle Kings are being co-developed with Mark Williams ... the interview asked the right question, and the developer gave the right answer: yes, Snooker is coming as DLC a little while after launch! :) This has made it an instant buy for me. Also, online support with audio and video chat, and youtube uploading. I can't wait for this title, and that's even before there's 1:1 Motion control support. ;) Also HDR and very much detail, like scratches on the balls etc. Physics should be pretty much perfect.

Now watching a Minis interview with the cahoots and field runners devs. They actually think that Minis is intended to scout the best of iPhone games.

There was also an interview with one of the Modnation Racers guy, mentioning that besides the Desert theme they presented on the floor here there are two more themes coming.

Also LBP PSP, with mention of full create and share online, but also share ad-hoc. New single player themes revolving around helping creators finish levels so they can join the player en route to a carnival.

As for the conference itself, it made a good impression. Compact, with plenty of announcements:
- Video Service for November: buy and rent films in SD and HD, available on both PS3 and PSP. Sony, Wlat Disney, 20th century fox, WB, Lionsgate, almost everyone seems to be on-board.
- Digital Media initiative starting with Digital Comics in December and 100s of comics day one, initially in English, other languages following soon (this is different from only available in the U.K. hopefully ;) ).
- the MiniS initiative, small games with max 100MB size. 15 games 1 October, and 50 before end of the year, serving from really small devs all over the world to EA. (The small devs seem to be typically iPhone upstarts ;) )
- PSN Voucher cards for Europe (finally ;) ) for 20 and 50 euros
- New Colors for PSP in Europe
- Discusses Home, as expected (as this was skipped for E3). Including data on time spent in spaces on average, the Singstar - Video Quiz, Video Jukebox, Interactive Dancefloor (looks great, interactive patterns forming where you dance). Audi space announced. In September will see more dance moves, animations, customisations, a camera for screenshots, shrinking potion ...
- Heavy Rain presentation
- Short Motion controller reel
- New Firmware 3.0, with dynamic themes, shortcuts to the store from the different bits, what's new, a new TV section with links to catch up services like BBC iPlayer / rtve / Antena3, laSexta, ZDF, NOS, and ABC in Australia (I may have missed one, but this is almost complete list). This is actually big news for me, because it includes the big catch up channel for our country. :D This will be under a new TV section.
- vidzone is coming to among others Scandinavia and the Benelux before the end of the year (again, big for me, as it includes the Netherlands)

They have to basically sell a wand, a PS Eye, and a game, for an attractive combined price (I'm guessing preferably max 65 euros). Two wands would be very hard to achieve this with - I don't think a wand is going to be much cheaper to make than a regular controller; it's still wireless, still has vibration probably, has a gyro instead of accellerometers, has a multi-color, multi-brightness LED, most of the buttons that the DS3 has, etc.

They have to basically sell a wand, a PS Eye, and a game, for an attractive combined price (I'm guessing preferably max 65 euros). Two wands would be very hard to achieve this with - I don't think a wand is going to be much cheaper to make than a regular controller; it's still wireless, still has vibration probably, has a gyro instead of accellerometers, has a multi-color, multi-brightness LED, most of the buttons that the DS3 has, etc.
Then in that case go for only one device, I wouldn't be bothered by having to use only my right hand (yes it sounds confusing... :LOL: ). Put one analogue stick enough buttons (say 4 instead of 8) and call it a day.

Just remember to integrate the wand into the XMB experience (e.g., gesture-based media player).

There was a brief mention about using SIXAXIS and the wand together (e.g., SIXAXIS = shield, Wand = sword). The SIXAXIS is rather accurate (gyro + accelerometer). The big disadvantage is its shape and hold... it's like carrying a small rock with 2 hands. In general, it's not very immersive.

The other way to see this is: PSMC = PSEye + motion-sensing controller of arbitrary shape. We may see some of its tech integrated into third party controllers in the future. Would be cool to see a tear down of the controller (Will it have an IR LED ? ^_^)

There was a brief mention about using SIXAXIS and the wand together (e.g., SIXAXIS = shield, Wand = sword). The SIXAXIS is rather accurate (gyro + accelerometer). The big disadvantage is its shape and hold... it's like carrying a small rock with 2 hands. In general, it's not very immersive.
I wonder if the boomerang would have been better for motion control.

Yes... T_T

I just realized... the SIXAXIS can be the bow. It's kinda shaped like one, and can be hold that way too (I'm holding one right now). The wand will be the arrow (or string).

Yes... T_T

I just realized... the SIXAXIS can be the bow. It's kinda shaped like one, and can be hold that way too (I'm holding one right now). The wand will be the arrow (or string).
You'd still want to attach a light "bulb" to the SIXAXIS so the camera can do relative tracking. The miniUSB port on top should work for supplying power, and cycling colors.

Back