[PS3] LittleBigPlanet 2

I mean in logic circuits. Rather than just boolean conditional, and score counters, you can construct circuits that work on signal strength. Which basically means you can have what amount to variables and test for conditions within a scale of values. You can have a timer storing a variable, that increases a bit every time you collect a token, and decreases every time you collide, say, and when it reaches certain points, certain things happen. Equivalent to :

IF (score > 80){
do stuff
}ELSE IF (score > 50){
do stuff
}ELSE IF (score > 20){
do stuff
}

The lack of a decent variable structure in and ability to add or subtract a value to it is a definite limiting factor, but there are workarounds. Although as the blog explains, they are headache inducing. An ADD is achieve with 3 subtractions, because the analogue circuits don't work with negative values. Except some that do. And some that don't do what you'd expect at all. And binary signals that are processed in parallel but with a completely different pathway and lead to unexpected results.

It is very complex and would need a lot of work to master. Just starting with memorising AND = min(), OR = max(), and DIRECTION COMBINER = |a| - |b|...

To clarify, 'branching' was always possible even digitally, but you don't have nice branch structures. You have to build a circuit to test each input, which means things can get ugly. What was missing was a variable that could accumulate values and be tested. Less-than and greater-than haven't been described yet in the blog (I've only read to part 2 so far), so I'm not sure they're in, but you never know!

x <= c would be min(c,a) == c. should be possible if you can test for values.

Probably best would be to add a simple scripting language, those graphs will get insanely big for anything complex

We completed Prehistoric Move yesterday (except for the side quests).

Like the first LBP, it's not as kid-friendly as it looks. ^_^
After some controller throwing (by the young one)... we aced it. We switch the Move controller around depending on how hard the DS3 or Move part is. Sometimes, the Move controller requires a steady hand. Sometimes the DS3 jump is tricky.

It's a fun little level. I like the Dinosaur theme, and the boss fight. There are some surprises here and there that got him squeaking (Ha ha). We'll go through the sidequests this week.

Are there extra materials and stickers and such, to be found in Prehistoric Move?

I got a code to download it as thanks for being in the beta. But I haven't got a move controller, so I hadn't bothered to download it.

Hmmm… There are some "special" balls that we did not finish collecting. I don't know what they unlock. You can also find keys in the game. Since I'm not a creator, I didn't really look out for materials and stickers. I hadn't seen them to be honest.

I should say the game has 5 (?) main levels, plus similar number of sub-quests.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=281038

The world's first LittleBigPlanet 2 review has arrived, and it's a big fat ten out of ten in the new PlayStation Official Magazine UK, which is in subscribers' hands now.

The OPM review praises the sequel's "simple-to-grasp" creation tools, which it says make it "immediate and easy" to create inventive gameplay, while the single-player campaign has enough fun and creativity to keep you entertained.

Not a trailer that would sell the game to someone new to the franchise I feel.

More importantly though, release date is 19 January, so that's pretty soon already. :) Going to be a one game a month year next year (on average, I presume many will buy LBP2 and Mass Effect 2 in January ;) )

No-one played the demo yet?

Edit : don't bother! 2GBs for 3 levels, on create, no community access. Very, very weak showing. It's basically a collection of high quality videos with a few levels. One rope-swinger level, one creature riding level, and one multiplayer competitive shooter. This demo completely fails to convey the magnificence of the title, or provide anything that'd draw people into the game proper. Quite, quite ridiculous! Provide create tools, get people interested and wanting more, and then buying the game. This demo is just some platforming and doesn't in any way naturally lead onto the game unless you really like the demo'd gameplay. And the demo'd gameplay isn't that great.

Another completely wasted demo opportunity. :rolleyes:

http://www.community.eu.playstation...-Beta/LBP2-Beta-The-end-is-nigh/td-p/12080421

In other words...the Beta will be ending soon!

What about my stuff?!

As we told you right at the very start of the trial, your beta creations will all be lost when the beta trial ends. We did originally have a teeny glimmer of hope that maybe we could transfer levels - but as you've all seen from the throughout the trial - there have been some pretty epic bugs that came up during the trial. Profile import & *DLC sharing issues, THE GOD GLITCH - and many many more. With your help, we've worked really hard to make sure these bugs are fixed. Can you imagine what would happen if any of these made it to the full game?*So the plan still stands - the beta servers will be wiped, lost and gone forever (you might recall, Unicorns may be involved).

It's not all sadness! We're keeping the beta running right through the Christmas period. We don't have a firm date set yet, but I can tell you that the beta will end some time before the game launches (Jan 18th), and after we all get back to work (Jan 4th). So you've got a good fortnight left in the beta yet. Of course - once we have the official switch off date - we will let you know on these forums.

Edit : don't bother! 2GBs for 3 levels, on create, no community access. Very, very weak showing. It's basically a collection of high quality videos with a few levels. One rope-swinger level, one creature riding level, and one multiplayer competitive shooter. This demo completely fails to convey the magnificence of the title, or provide anything that'd draw people into the game proper. Quite, quite ridiculous! Provide create tools, get people interested and wanting more, and then buying the game. This demo is just some platforming and doesn't in any way naturally lead onto the game unless you really like the demo'd gameplay. And the demo'd gameplay isn't that great.

I didn't know there's a LBP2 demo.

I think most core gamers know what LBP is by now. But they need to come up with a family pack of easier levels to attract kids.

Was gonna say the same but I'm glad you did first. I tried the demo and almost canceled my pre-order, but I know the game is better than that so I left it be. They just chose really poorly for the demo, like the swinging level which isn't even fun, it's just tedious.

I could maybe forgive the level choice if they provided a decent taster for the creation side. I don't get why they didn't provide a pretty full featured by time limited experience. Prevent people saving creations if you want, but let them try out building stuff and seeing how easy it is to make vehicles and stuff, as that's a major selling point. Or provide access to a selection of community levels to give a feel for the wide range of experiences. The video showcases exist on the internet already.

One of the very worst demos ever in terms of failing to communicate the title and attract buyers, IMO.

Nothing says fun like reading a feature check-list. :rolleyes:

I know how much of an improvement LBP2 is over LBP1, but you wouldn't be able to tell from this demo. They have loads of stuff that's better than this.

I don't know which demo you guys are talking about but the one I played is AWESOME. Grabinator level is so much fun and also puppet level is a great showcase.

LBP2 has so much potential, imagination is the limit, so whatever they release as a demo, that won't show us the game's potential. What kind of demo were you expecting for LBP2 aka "platform for games"? They would add some of the creation content but I'm pretty sure then some of you would say " why not the whole creation tools? ".

If Sony is looking for new buyers on top of LBP's userbase then they must show videos from the game , for example some of the levels from Beta. I don't think demo will effect LBP2's sales as much as videos.

One of the very worst demos ever in terms of failing to communicate the title and attract buyers, IMO.

I have to agree. I never played a LBP game but I was well aware of the features which seemed all but missing from the demo. I mostly came away with the impression of a goofy platformer with some mildly entertaining levels. Here's hoping maybe they do another small demo to let us at least test the creation features - which was mainly what I wanted.

Back