E3 ended

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend

"After more than two decades of E3, each one bigger than the last, the time has come to say goodbye," reads a post on X, formerly Twitter, by the official E3 account. "Thanks for the memories."

"There were fans who were invited to attend in the later years, but it really was about a marketing and business model for the industry and being able to provide the world with information about new products," he continued. "Companies now have access to consumers and to business relations through a variety of means, including their own individual showcases."

As we've been saying. E3 no longer makes sense.

I'm sure there will be those celebrating E3's demise, but I think an industry trade show, which should have probably not have been attended by the general public, is an important thing that is now going away. Anyone who understands the importance of CES, any of the auto shows the OICA puts on, or the National Grocers Association show have on their respective industries understands what E3 was meant to be, and how it somehow spiraled into a consumer facing show like PAX. Perhaps it's less important today, with many retailers starting to faze out physical media, but I think the death of E3 represents videogames moving away from attempts to be considered more of serious industry.

Anyone who understands the importance of CES, any of the auto shows the OICA puts on, or the National Grocers Association show have on their respective industries understands what E3 was meant to be

I don't understand how the importance for those industries translates to the modern games market. Care to expand?

I can understand the need for a trade show in order to facilitate business relationships between different supply chain end-points (manufacturers, distributors, sales, etc.) I'm not sure if that element is really that relevant to the games industry anymore (digital/self-publishing, studio consolidation, internet, etc)? The other function would be to pool the marketing expenses and increase exposure to the end customer (a la 'rising tide lifting all boats'). Small/tiny indie studios are probably the only guys that could use a marketing signal boost like that, but the sort of show those guys could afford wouldn't carry the same glitz, and it's not like there's not plenty of games and games-adjacent conferences, not to mention the early access business model and showcases like Steam Next Fest.

E3 made tons of sense during that 16/32bit transition period where you had new platforms launching every year and they outgrew their CES footprint. It made less sense once the industry consolidated down to MS, Sony, and Nintendo. It makes zero sense now that MS/Sony are pretty much the same product, Nintendo is doing their own thing, and the hardware cycle is ~7 years. This ain't like CES where you've got a dozen manufacturers refreshing their TV lineup every year.

I loved e3. As a child of the 80s I remember the e3's of the 90s really fondly. Going to the local barnes and noble and picking up every magazine like EGM, PC gamer, Next gen and so many others and just reading them cover to cover and trading with friends and thinking about all the games yet to come out. Then in the early 2000s the early websites that had so many articles and podcasts during e3 time.

Now however the experiences that are left feel hollow. You get sony /ms/nintendo putting out shows with maybe 30 minutes of real content in them and that is talked about for only a few days at the most. It's the same with geoff's stuff which seems even worse because it has a bunch of added fluff to it.

I dunno but I am sure going to miss e3

I don't understand how the importance for those industries translates to the modern games market. Care to expand?
@hughJ gets it.
I can understand the need for a trade show in order to facilitate business relationships between different supply chain end-points (manufacturers, distributors, sales, etc.) I'm not sure if that element is really that relevant to the games industry anymore (digital/self-publishing, studio consolidation, internet, etc)? The other function would be to pool the marketing expenses and increase exposure to the end customer (a la 'rising tide lifting all boats'). Small/tiny indie studios are probably the only guys that could use a marketing signal boost like that, but the sort of show those guys could afford wouldn't carry the same glitz, and it's not like there's not plenty of games and games-adjacent conferences, not to mention the early access business model and showcases like Steam Next Fest.

E3 made tons of sense during that 16/32bit transition period where you had new platforms launching every year and they outgrew their CES footprint. It made less sense once the industry consolidated down to MS, Sony, and Nintendo. It makes zero sense now that MS/Sony are pretty much the same product, Nintendo is doing their own thing, and the hardware cycle is ~7 years. This ain't like CES where you've got a dozen manufacturers refreshing their TV lineup every year.
The biggest problem with E3's perception is that the more recent E3's have been the larger companies marketing directly to the consumer. Those big E3 presentations are unlike what would be shown behind closed doors. As much as I love to watch Devolver's show each year, that is 100% a consumer product.

It is easier now for companies to market directly to consumers for many things, especially with many retailers planning on fazing out physical media. The areas where I do believe a trade show like E3 would have substantial value for video games would be in the accessories. Remember when 3rd party controllers were absolute garbage? What if you make a good one and want to sell one to retailers? Having people in the supply chain at a location where they are able to try a product and are there with the express interest in finding new product could mean the difference between a successful product and a great product that nobody can buy. The industry is bigger than just the console manufacturers and the larger publishers, and it's now harder for the upstarts that are making physical goods to get them to market. It wasn't really that long ago that Turtle Beach was a PC soundcard company that went to E3 trying to shell people on $1100 gaming headsets for Xbox 360 and PS3. I doubt the gaming headset market would be as successful today without that push, and without that push, I don't think you would have had higher end gaming headsets available at "normal" stores like Walmart and Target.

Last edited:
@hughJ gets it.

The biggest problem with E3's perception is that the more recent E3's have been the larger companies marketing directly to the consumer. Those big E3 presentations are unlike what would be shown behind closed doors. As much as I love to watch Devolver's show each year, that is 100% a consumer product.

It is easier now for companies to market directly to consumers for many things, especially with many retailers planning on fazing out physical media. The areas where I do believe a trade show like E3 would have substantial value for video games would be in the accessories. Remember when 3rd party controllers were absolute garbage? What if you make a good one and want to sell one to retailers? Having people in the supply chain at a location where they are able to try a product and are there with the express interest in finding new product could mean the difference between a successful product and a great product that nobody can buy. The industry is bigger than just the console manufacturers and the larger publishers, and it's now harder for the upstarts that are making physical goods to get them to market. It wasn't really that long ago that Turtle Beach was a PC soundcard company that went to E3 trying to shell people on $1100 gaming headsets for Xbox 360 and PS3. I doubt the gaming headset market would be as successful today without that push, and without that push, I don't think you would have had higher end gaming headsets available at "normal" stores like Walmart and Target.

I'd like to add to this. E3 was never absolutely necessary to the big publishers other than a forum through which they could more easily find new IP and new developers to publish. That, of course, was important, but with modern AAA game development favoring established IP and necessitating low risk investments (futher pushing publishers to established IP and established big name developers) there is no need for large publishers of a trade show.

Smaller developers and smaller publishers are who really needed E3 or a similar trade show and still do to this day. Raising funds is difficult if you are small or unknown, E3, was a forum for people interested in investing in games to meet up with developers looking to get a game idea or project funded. This is still incredibly needed in this day and age. While they do have the ability to self publish now and crowd funding exists to a more limited extent than it did a few years ago, it's still extremely difficult to get the funding for more ambitios game projects.

Arguably with larger publishers almost completely pulling away from investing in new IPs and new developers, a trade show for the games industry is now more important than ever for the video game industry, unless we're happy with development increasingly focused on retreading and rereleasing remakes of older games or new games in existing IP.

And yes, while smaller independent developers may cheer on the more limited influence publishers have, they ignore that without those large publishers investing in new IP from new developers they've basically been cut off from one of the largest or the largest sources of funding for ambitious game development ideas.

One aspect of trade shows, however, is almost irrelevant now and that is the physical retail market. Unless something changes, digital is the future and physical retailers are going to be increasingly irrelevant in video gaming's future.

So, yes, it's a bit of a shame that the large AAA publishers from whom E3 got most of its funding don't need a large trade show anymore because they aren't interested in finding or funding new IP and new developers.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
@hughJ gets it.

The areas where I do believe a trade show like E3 would have substantial value for video games would be in the accessories. Remember when 3rd party controllers were absolute garbage? What if you make a good one and want to sell one to retailers?

A lot of gaming peripherals are quite specific to certain genres and audiences. Steering wheels, flight sim sticks/yokes, fight sticks all have their own niche communities that don't necessarily see a lot of overlap between each other, and there's genre-specific events that cater to them. I'd think audio is already served by the hi-fi audio scene. If there's some startup making a new off-brand gamepad then they're probably better off working social media, streaming, and GamesCom/PAX type shows -- generate buzz, sell low volume direct to consumers online, and leave the big box store distribution deals to after you've built enough brand awareness to get acquired by a larger company. The established companies like Logitech, Razer, Corsair, Asus, HyperX/Kingston, etc aren't exactly starved for times and places to market their stuff. On top of all that you've got Sony and MS swallowing up a lot of the remaining mindshare-oxygen by releasing their premium controllers.

I had a great time when I covered E3 2001 as a journalist the year the Xbox and Gamecube were demoed for the first time. Fond memories indeed!
I went to 4 between 1995 & 2000. The LA ones were great. Parties weren't too bad in Atlanta, but didn't hold a candle to LA. They should have made them for the public but understand why they didn't. Good times & great memories.

This seemed inevitable. E3 was become too expensive, I remember there was some discussion about how IGN prepare for E3 on one of their podcasts, and the costs were astronomical.

PGW, TGS and Gamescom look to be going strong. After a couple of virtual events during lockdown, Gamescom had 1,135 exhibitors and 265k attendees in 2022, which grew to 1,220 exhibitors and 320k attendees this year.

I went to 4 between 1995 & 2000. The LA ones were great. Parties weren't too bad in Atlanta, but didn't hold a candle to LA. They should have made them for the public but understand why they didn't. Good times & great memories.
in the early 2010s they should have went to a 6 day show , 3 days for industry and press and 3 days (fri-sun) for fans.

That way the publishers/devs could swap out any games under nda or too early for the public to play with recent releases or upcoming releases.

I remember in the 80s when the wizard came out and Nintendo had shows all over the country. I went to the one in Rutherford NJ since I lived really close to that. It was a lot of fun getting to play games that wouldn't be out for months or years. I also thought it would be great to have an e3 that was a traveling road show that would set up at different arena's or malls for a few days and move on.

I also remember going to epcot and playing the dreamcast early as sega had a deal to have a bunch of kiosks in the innovations pavilion.

Back