Mirror's Edge video (looks hot)

Just checked out the Tutorial. Incredible ! Just as I expected, it's a very unique (and trilling) game.

Have they said anything about the PS3 DLC yet ?

EDIT: About the jaggies, thank goodness it's *much* better than GTA4

interesting game... gonna have to try a few more play through's to decide if it's more than a rental.

360 version does not scream jaggies on my 50" Samsung. in fact in close up views (hands and arms) it appears to have at least 2xAA

Played through the demo a number of times, can't get enough.

Found it a bit frustrating when making some of the jumps and pole walking as I tended to screw up a lot and have to constantly repeat watching celeste repeat the action.
Found the combat a bit overwhelming, but it's sunk in well enough now, thankfully it's quite

The aliasing on buildings and such in the distance is a bit annoying, but nothing remotely off-putting.

Is there a way to unlock the time trial without the code? eg played x number of times or after a certain date? I would pre-order but it seems only Play.com has the code and they are more expensive than where i'll get it from.

I will definately be picking this up when it hits - unless reviews are bad then it can wait for bargain bin;).

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=276251&page=3

Eurogamer Expo goers voted Mirror's Edge to be the top game in the show after playing all the games on display.

We're surprised. Not because Mirror's Edge is a dull game - it's a fascinating attempt to repurpose mechanics in a way that nobody else has dared. Not because Mirror's Edge is a risky proposition - after all, last year's biggest games included Portal, BioShock, Crackdown and Mass Effect, and this year looks to be ruled by the likes of LittleBigPlanet, so new IP is definitely hitting home. But we are surprised, because Mirror's Edge is the sort of game that you have to really work with to get. No doubt you'll be filling in more of your impressions now that the demo's available on PlayStation Network and Xbox Live, but if the game's reception at the Expo is anything to go by, the new-look EA is not just delivering on John Riccitiello's aim to produce new games in addition to the usual rush of sequels, but capable of turning out original ideas in the process. Whether or not the finished game stands up to extended inspection, we want more of this please, EA. Thanks.

And thanks to all of you who voted.

Congrats EA.

Hopefully the entire game is as good. I heard besides the PS3 DLC, a sequel is already planned.

The 360 version seems to have a bit more AA but it's still noticeable. The most annoying thing (on both versions) are the lines on the objects moving back n' forth, up and down. Is this is a result of aliasing? The game PQ is all about being clean and defined and the lack of AA really hurts that. Overall, the gameplay doesn't do anything for me.

It's the HDR - it makes any aliasing stand out much more. This is a fairly well known problem by now as mentioned also by nAo a while ago.

I'm guessing that the 360 version is 2xAA but looks like it has no AA because of HDR, and the PS3 version has no AA altogether (but it still obviously has the AA).

I can't say I like the gameplay one bit yet. It feels like a somewhat limited prince of persia game that has put the camera in first person. "Steering" feels very awkward, and I wish they'd put that on the motion controls instead of what they have done now. It is smart that they always offer both a regular button and a motion control option at the same time, and I like what they did with the motion controls where they do use them.

The aesthetics are good (Wipeout comes to mind for some reason) but I got bored a little having seen them so much in the previews, and the world is incredibly empty.

All in all, laudible attempt, and I'm happy for DICE it's turning out so well. But it's not for me, I think.

As for me, the graphics are the most photorealistic uptill now, the indoors are completely adorably real looking.
I liked the gameplay coz it requires skill to pull off stuff correctly. I'll wait for the reviews only to make sure the game doesn't get repetitive, otherwise the art style and the aesthetics of the graphics has won my heart. I just love their take on Future !

This is the best demo I've played this year. I'm playing it again and again. I can only imagine what the full game will be like! Love it!

I could get through the tutorial with ease. On second playthrough, I get stucked in the kick-jump (L1-R1-L1 ?). I really like the feel of the game but to someone watching me play, they can get motion sickness easily :)

Like Arwin, I was hoping this game will add motion sensing to the gameplay. I wondered if DDR Mat is applicable here. SIXAXIS "jerks" may be good for the jump, and the kick jump situation above too -- if they can capture the jerk direction accurate and fast enough.

EDIT: About Mirror's Edge's lighting solution...

According to Pana, it's something else: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13454456&postcount=1407

Beast
Images
Beast is a game engine-independent content pipeline tool used for advanced global illumination and dynamic relighting of characters.
Why game developers love Beast:

* Enhances the visual quality of your game. Get the artistic results you want with advanced global illumination, giving your game more realistic lighting effects.

Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment Courtesy of EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment

Beast is used to bake light maps, shadow maps and point clouds with advanced global illumination.
o Color bounces and colored shadows from transparent objects.
o Natural looking shadows affected by light bounces.
o Soft shadows from point lights, directional lights and area lights.
o Create light from a HDR environment giving natural lighting in the entire scene without adding a single light source.
o Dynamically relight objects and characters using light probes precalculated by Beast. Lighting of characters and other dynamic objects is affected by emissive objects and light bouncing off other objects.
Read more
* Boosts productivity and reduces the effort needed to create stunning art. Let your artists concentrate on how they want the game to look rather than spending countless hours trying to achieve it. Beast gives your artists an easy workflow while still allowing them full control over the end result.

Colored shadows, color bounces and natural looking shadows Lighting from HDR environments creates natural lighting with little effort Emissive materials automatically contribute to the lighting

Moving light sources and objects around in a scene affects the lighting without any need to add or adjust bounce lights or other workarounds needed to "fake" global illumination. Emissive materials and transparent objects contribute to the lighting without any extra work. Get natural looking lighting using image based lighting from HDR environments.
* Reduces cost, risk and time-to-market. Beast is used in a number of different AAA titles to ensure that the visual quality bar is met on time every time. No matter what game engine you are using, Beast will help you get better results with less effort.

Illuminate Labs is a member of Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3 Integrated Partners program and Beast is fully integrated with the Unreal Editor. More information is available on our Unreal Engine integration page.

Beast has also been successfully integrated with Gamebryo as well as several in-house game engines.

Does anyone else feel like the game might have been influenced by the movie "Run, Lola, Run"?

Loved it... both the movie and this demo. Even the heroine, "Faith" has similar traits to Lola.

Like Arwin, I was hoping this game will add motion sensing to the gameplay. I wondered if DDR Mat is applicable here. SIXAXIS "jerks" may be good for the jump, and the kick jump situation above too -- if they can capture the jerk direction accurate and fast enough.

I found the motion controls as they are work best when running up to a guard to disarm them - the leap from right stick to triangle always left me not quite lined up in time, and consequently dead. Being able to keep my thumb on the stick while performing the disarm with a pad move made it a whole lot easier (should have paid attention to the SIXAXIS hints during the tutorial :D)

I ran through the tutorial very quickly, so I didn't get any SIXAXIS hints. Will have to try myself.

I like the "bullet time" feature too. It's very suitable for the game. The control scheme will definitely overwhelm my friends. That's why I was thinking if motion sensing can help.

I ran through the tutorial very quickly, so I didn't get any SIXAXIS hints. Will have to try myself.

You can run through the tutorial again. I think the motion is an upwards flick to disarm, it's shown at the same time as the triangle button.

I really liked this demo and the graphics were sharp and original,but I wonder if seeing this very limited colour range will get repetitive over the course of a full game.
Overall I found the controls really intuitve to pick up except for a few things like the reverse wall jump and the disarm moves. It was like that in Assasins Creed as well but once you got used to the timing and preses it added some more depth to the gameplay. The melee attacks were intuitve as they were just extensions of the regular movement controls.

The flow of this game is enough to keep me interested :D

There is indeed variety in the colors though. The trailers suggest this.

Yes, there is. There's some green toned interiors as well as orange judging just by the trailer footage.

This is a definite buy.

Back