Mirror's Edge video (looks hot)

It's either love it or hate it, and right now I'm loving it! I find the controls very responsive, but it's trial and error all right. It's like Sigfried said. The exact opposite of Assassins Creed. It kind of reminds me of the first Tomb Raider. I couldn't even count how many times I sent Lara to her death!
The game really rewards skill, and sometimes, when you get it right, it feels sooo good!
The reason I really hated AC, was the fact that it didn't require skill. Just press a button and run...
I even like the fighting...! It's bad, like most people said. But when you manage to pull off a few moves in succession and take three enemies in a row, well, you really feel rewarded for the 20 times you died trying!!!
The game is not for everyone, that's for sure. If you like an easy game to pass the time, and be impressed with flashy graphics and cool animation, it is definitely not for you. But if you like your challenges to come with a bit of frustration, and the feeling that those button presses mater, you just might have a blast!

I played through it this past weekend in a 10 hour marathon. It is very difficult -especially because I decided to never use a gun- but I obviously enjoyed it thoroughly.

The game has a lot of flaws. I'd put the weak story at the top of that list. It's one part Demolition Man (without the humor) and one part bland, generic cop drama. The rest I am willing to forgive. For example, given that they have several reasonable, in-engine, 3D cutscenes, my guess about the cheezy flash animations is that EA probably didn't want to risk the full amount of money this game really required. Therefore, the team had to cut corners in several places.

The game is hard. Controlling parkour with buttons and nubby sticks is hard. Solo, unarmed combat against squads of heavily armed soldiers is hard. I'm glad it's only mildly open-ended because that makes split-second navigation hard enough. You must have a high tolerance for frustration before you get to the gratification.

There were several instances where I was stumped for a while because I knew where to go immediately next, but I didn't think you could actually pull of that move. There were also several combat situations that I thought were set up exactly against the gameplay mechanics (you can only take on one opponent at a time and even then only if you can close on him very quickly), but eventually I found that you actually could pull them off within the mechanics or you could completely avoid the actually impossible situations.

Now that I've played through the entire game, I feel that I'm only starting to get good at it. I've finally got a handle on all of the moves. As I get more familiar with the maps in the time trials, I'm getting some awesome payoffs in the form of surprisingly high and sustained momentum. It's very similar to a racing game in that respect. I haven't downloaded any leaderboard playbacks yet, but I expect they are already full of inhuman feats.

I'm a big fan of over-the-top motion mechanics in FPS games (HL1's jump boost and gauss gun recoil, UT's teleporter and strafe-doublejump). I've been waiting for a game like Mirror's Edge for a long time. Now that it's here, I'm very happy with it -warts and all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be because I suck at most games, but I just can't get a flow going, I die and have to retry to often on certain sections that it ends up feeling like a grind. And I am only on the 3rd or 4th chapter, I'll get back to it when I've finished R2, hopefully it won't disapoint me :)

Finished it tonight. Didn't take me too long. I got the hang of the controls really quickly. Melee was a bit awkward at times. It could have used some kind of target locking, I think.

Overall, I thought it was really satisfying if you could manage to get into a good rhythm and complete a number of acrobatic moves in succession. There were a couple jumps that seemed outrageously more annoying than the rest that hung me up.

Not a bad new IP with some refreshing elements for a first person game. Nice look and style, with some genre bending game play elements. Worth playing, but probably not at full price for most people. Definitely not a game that I'd feel ripped off had I bought it (was a gift), but I'd prefer to buy in the half price range.

I finally have one game in my ever growing library completed.

Ive got the game but I was wondering, the latest cat drivers also support the physx path right? The game by default enabled it on my system (HD4870) but when I first came into some action FPS went from 60 to 4. Seems like my gpu is not used. Anybody knows whats up with this?

Well played the game for some time now and I think it sucks. They managed to make a game that should be all about flow in such a way that it has no flow at all. All the time you have to watch where you need to go, its impossible just to keep running. Everytime you have to stop, watch go again. Want to make a big jump? you have to look, walk back and than jump. Sometimes your path isnt even clear and you'll die 10 times before you finally understand what you need to do to get somewhere. Than there also is that chopper than ruins the game by shooting you. Its very frustrating.

The sound is also horrible. Instead of having some proper music like in the commercial all I get to listen to is damn chopper and air vent noises.

Its too bad because the game has a really nice look and the idea is very good I think.

Well played the game for some time now and I think it sucks. They managed to make a game that should be all about flow in such a way that it has no flow at all. All the time you have to watch where you need to go, its impossible just to keep running. Everytime you have to stop, watch go again. Want to make a big jump? you have to look, walk back and than jump. Sometimes your path isnt even clear and you'll die 10 times before you finally understand what you need to do to get somewhere. Than there also is that chopper than ruins the game by shooting you. Its very frustrating.
The sound is also horrible. Instead of having some proper music like in the commercial all I get to listen to is damn chopper and air vent noises.
Its too bad because the game has a really nice look and the idea is very good I think.
It sounds like you aren't used to the gameplay yet. You're supposed to learn the areas and use the visual cues so that even on your first playthrough, you can string lots of jumps and wall runs together. It's a very technical game so once you do "get it", you REALLY go faster. Especially if you want to do speed runs of the levels where you have to know exactly where to be and who to disarm.

I'd suggest looking at youtube speed runs of some levels that you've already gone thorugh so you can get an idea of how experienced players actually play it.

Maybe then this just isnt a game for me. I dont want to play every level a dozen of times just to go fast, I want to be able to do that in 1 or 2 times or atleast somewhat manage on a first run as I generally only play SP once and I dont care about getting back to improve. I dont have the time and I dont want to put in 20 hours of practise just to get a decent run. I'm enjoying PoP alot more, you might say that is over simplified compared to ME but I can do the aerobatics right away which is tons more fun.

Maybe then this just isnt a game for me. I dont want to play every level a dozen of times just to go fast, I want to be able to do that in 1 or 2 times or atleast somewhat manage on a first run as I generally only play SP once and I dont care about getting back to improve. I dont have the time and I dont want to put in 20 hours of practise just to get a decent run. I'm enjoying PoP alot more, you might say that is over simplified compared to ME but I can do the aerobatics right away which is tons more fun.

I didn't have much difficulty getting through a lot of the sequences on the first try with a good amount of flow. I mostly found the game to be very easy with the exception of three or four spots where I died hundreds of times ;)

Back