Mirror's Edge video (looks hot)

I really liked this demo and the graphics were sharp and original,but I wonder if seeing this very limited colour range will get repetitive over the course of a full game.

perhaps, although i think variety in the environments will offset the limited colour palette. that said, however, i do like the clean aesthetics.

I could get through the tutorial with ease. On second playthrough, I get stucked in the kick-jump (L1-R1-L1 ?). I really like the feel of the game but to someone watching me play, they can get motion sickness easily :)

Like Arwin, I was hoping this game will add motion sensing to the gameplay. I wondered if DDR Mat is applicable here. SIXAXIS "jerks" may be good for the jump, and the kick jump situation above too -- if they can capture the jerk direction accurate and fast enough.

EDIT: About Mirror's Edge's lighting solution...

According to Pana, it's something else: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13454456&postcount=1407

Its the same as Killzone 2. Interesting to see how different art creates completely different look with the same lighting tech being used. personally, I felt the Sunlight to be much better than KZ2, but it turns out the tools are the same.

Their Clientelle is pretty varied from awesome graphics to pretty average
WET
Tomb Raider Underworld
Mirror's Edge
Gran Turismo
Killzone 2
Killzone: Liberation
Mass Effect
Folklore
Genji: Days of the Blade
Heavenly Sword
Haze

Their clientèle has Insomniac games in it too ! Looks like the reason for improvement in R2 lighting ;) ! They haven't mentioned the game there though. It could be any project.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic game!
For me it's the best game of the last 2years.

Although still undecided which one to get (x360 or ps3)

Everyone is talking about graphics, AA or no AA, but none are talking about the sound.

The PS3 version sounded for me superior to the Xbox360 version(xbox360 has less cleaner sound and overpowerd bass)
And the PS3 version has 7.1sound??? well the back speakers were playing different things then the side speakers, so i gues it has 7.1 sound?

Played the demo and it seemed pretty cool. It's a very unique looking game. I think the game play would be better suited to a 3rd person view, but first person is a little more exhilarating in a way. The controls do handle pretty well, with a few tries under your belt, but I do find it hard to judge distance. It's hard to tell if you're at the end of a ledge or not. I tend to jump too early.

just played the demo, I am very impressed. I Love the music and I love the environment. Defiantly picking this one up.

It only took 10 minutes for me to download the demo and I've just finished it.

Wow.

The game does look photorealistic at times and the obvious reasons are the cleanliness of the area. The more technically inclined could further elaborate, but the world is just clean and as far as I know there isn't too much interactivity (picking up) with objects other than the cops. I tried to punch satellite dishes and some ominous looking boxes (they looked at me the wrong way) but nothing happened. Also, the blond looked very (uh) flickery at times. The movement felt wonderful and at times felt like being in a first person version of the 3d mario games (the wall to wall to wall jumps). I will await the reviews, but I'm definitely tempted to get this thing.

Yeah, the graphics are wonderful except on her hand and that blonds face. It's a bit harsh looking compared to the softness of the environment.

From Gameplayer review ;
That said we would have liked to have seen this game play out in DICE’s Frostbite Engine rather than tired old version 1 of Unreal Engine 3 (we did ask DICE why this was the case: apparently Mirror’s Edge was in development for three years, well before Frostbite was complete).
What are your thoughts on this ?..

ME has serious aliasing problem , at least on PS3 ... Would it be less if they use Frostbite Engine ?..

I guess I have to download the 360 demo as well. Just to compare the graphics. This is a day one buy for me. I've played the demo more times than I can count!

From Gametrailer's review: 'The value you get out of Mirror's Edge will be directly proportional to how much you enjoy the core gameplay.'

Gee, thanks.

From here.

It looks cool to watch, but I don't find it all that fun to play. Maybe a rental in six months when the backlog is clear.

I guess I have to download the 360 demo as well. Just to compare the graphics. This is a day one buy for me. I've played the demo more times than I can count!

I tried the 360 demo for this reason. It did look cleaner due to the AA, and if that was the only major difference I would buy the 360 game. But this is one of the few games that I find plays far far worse on the 360 controller. The bumpers are some of the worst buttons ever :(. So for this game the graphics whore in me has to suffer (only a little as the PS3 version is still gorgeous).

I tried the 360 demo for this reason. It did look cleaner due to the AA, and if that was the only major difference I would buy the 360 game. But this is one of the few games that I find plays far far worse on the 360 controller. The bumpers are some of the worst buttons ever :(. So for this game the graphics whore in me has to suffer (only a little as the PS3 version is still gorgeous).

Yeah, I have to agree on that. The difference is minimal when it comes to graphics. But the controls are more suited to the sixaxis imo.

Yeah, I have to agree on that. The difference is minimal when it comes to graphics. But the controls are more suited to the sixaxis imo.

I also agree - as I said before on the occasions where you need to use a face button (e.g. disarming), doing a flick of the sixaxis allows you to keep your thumb on the right stick instead, making it easier to line yourself up on the approach and keep momentum afterwards.

One of the few times I've found the motion controls a real benefit in a non-racing game.

Back