Robert Jordan has passed away

Death gate cycle is highly recommended, yes.

It's written in a somewhat less reverent style than traditional high fantasy - the subject matter is very bleak and there's lots of death and doom and despair, but there's also fair amounts of the weird Weiss/Hickman humor long-time followers of theirs enjoyed in their Dragonlance books.

I just loved those books and famishly devoured them all back in 1995.

Peace.

His series was utter shit after the first 3 or 4 books, but after reading hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of essentially nothing, I'd hoped to see some conclusion to the entire mess.

Ive been reading WoT for 11 years now (since I was 14) so Im still a bit in shock. Not that RJ is dead (don't get me wrong it IS sad) but that Ive potentially wasted a LOT of time on a story that will never be *really* finished.

Book 8 was where it started to go seriously wrong for me. The first 6 books cover between 6 months to a year each. I think book 8 covered a weekend. 800 pages on 2 days of storytime meant that EVERYTHING was told. "Matt picked his nails" "Rand snorted, that nasally sound that puts girls off their food" *boring*

With RJ held in a tighter leash and his editor shaving off a couple hundred pages per volume tghe books would have been much better.

Ive actually just finished my first book, and my editor is giving me grief atm. :p But it's good grief, though I get the feeling they are pressured somewhat by their bosses. As a newb writer, she tells me whats interesting, whats not, what to expand on, and what to rewrite. But after 7 books, and making the publisher so much money, I get the feeling that the author would have much more influence over what makes final cut than an editor. So book 7 onwards was *real* RJ, and tbh, that didn't cut the mustard. My novel, btw, is a work of art, and you had all better buy it when it hits the shops (circa Jan 2008 so far).

My biggest problem with WoT was the sheer amount of "untouchable" characters. This is what made the 3 first books in George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire saga so good, the way he killed off main characters. It made the story much more alive.

Yes and no. Was NOT impressed when XXX died in the first book. Even when XXX's head was stuck on a spike over the gate, I was still convinced that it was a ploy and they had XXX locked up and that XXX would break out and save the day. But then GRRM when and killed everyone else too. D'oh. I gave up after three books when we still didnt know what was behind the gerddamn wall!

You may also want to try Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy (in hardback. Four volumes in paperback IIRC)

Not an easy read. Not as verbose as WoT, but lacking in action for the main part, and when action does happen, its pretty difficult to follow. Also, the story overall left me feeling a bit "meh".

Another series from Williams that's definitely worth reading is Otherland. More sci-fi than fantasy, but I highly recommend it even if you're a strict fantasy reader and don't venture into sci-fi land. It's very well-written and quite an original theme. Very relevant to our time as well, especially to netizens, particularly MMO players.

Again, Otherland to me got boring very quickly. Basic premise: its based in a life like VR machine, and the characters are looking for something. So they go through different landscapes searching for it. It always feels like something COOL is gonna happen, but its usually very placid and reads like hes just reciting stuff off TV. The first book ends and left me going, "well that was a waste of 800 pages".

Now (holy crap this is a long post) my seriesies of recommendation are:

Fantasy: Riftwar and Serpent war sagas from Raymond E Fiest. Starting with Magician, which is one of my fave books off time, the story just keeps building, following a family of nobles through 3-4 generations, so you really feel connected to the whole character set, not just a single person. Gods and demons, swords and magic, action sorrow and joyfullness. Fantastic series.

Horror: While not particularly scary, the Necroscope series, and its follow on the Vampire World novels, are again some of the best easiest to read stories around. The storylines move on, and grow, with backstory too, so you get a decent account of the characters lives. You'll want to be able to teleport after reading these books.

Sci-Fi: Nightsdawn Trilogy, Peter F Hamilton. The first 100 pages are crap, and the last 20 pages are even worse. But the story that unfolds in these three books is outstanding and fairly unique. The characters are well defined and situations and action are pretty damn good. Beware: three books of 1200 pages each are not for the faint hearted.

Oddly enough, I just can't get interested in Fantasy any more. Probably 5 or so years since I really read any but I did used to enjoy the genre a great deal when I was younger.

I think for me, the straw that broke the Camel's back was Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I think I managed to get my way through the first 5 (or possibly 6) books but just couldn't be bothered to wade through any more. In fact I just had a quick look to see if he'd got around to finishing the series and see that he's up to volume 11! :oops:

Glad I gave up several books ago. For me, that series espouses everything bad about modern fantasy - incredibly verbose and seemingly never-ending with nothing much happening. I've never even looked at the Robert Jordan series of books so can't comment of those.

I suppose the only fantasy I read these days is Terry Pratchett, but his stuff is more of a Pratchett-style than fantasy per se and I must admit I've not enjoyed many of his more recent ones as much as the earlier stuff.

For me, three of the most entertaining (and humorous) fantasy books I have read were by an author named Barry Hughart. He wrote three books: Bridge of Birds, Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen set in a mythical China. I'd recommend all three of these books as they were very entertaining but, from what I've read, Hughart couldn't carry on writing as a living because the sales just weren't there. This seems a pity when so much other dross published gains a wide readership.

I'm currently reading Quicksilver, the first book in the Baroque Cycle from Neal Stephenson. Though in theory a historical novel, I've not read a more fantastical book than this for some time and look forward to wading my way through the 1,800 or so pages in the other two books in the cycle!

His series was utter shit after the first 3 or 4 books, but after reading hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of essentially nothing..

Sad but true. I seem to remember that one of the books advanced something like one week in time. One week in 600+ pages !!

Still very sad that he passed away. So RIP RJ..

Oh, and luckily , there's an author called George RR Martin if you're a fan of epic fantasy. I'll also add my recomendations for Peter F Hamilton for sci-fi readers. Nightdawn is great, so is Pandora's star & Judas Unchained.

But it'll all be forgiven if he finishes the series in another book or two, and does it before he dies. If he catches chronic-Jordanism, I swear I'll swear off of high fantasy forever, particularly series.

Haha, i'll join you in that statement. He's yet to write a book where essentially nothing happens though, like Jordan did. The last book was not really as good as the previous ones but that might perhaps be because it didn't include some of the characters that i (and probably most people) like the most.

Afa the killing of characters goes, imo, he kills of the characters that are a bit one-sided. The ones that are pure good or pure evil. I kinda like this, though there are characters that i miss also. Prince Oberyn f.e :)

Haha, i'll join you in that statement. He's yet to write a book where essentially nothing happens though, like Jordan did. The last book was not really as good as the previous ones but that might perhaps be because it didn't include some of the characters that i (and probably most people) like the most.

Afa the killing of characters goes, imo, he kills of the characters that are a bit one-sided. The ones that are pure good or pure evil. I kinda like this, though there are characters that i miss also. Prince Oberyn f.e

It's not ASoIaF without Tyrion. I'm going to be distraught when Tyrion dies (though, along the the lines of this thread, I'll be more distraught if GRRM dies without finishing the f'n series).

It's not ASoIaF without Tyrion. I'm going to be distraught when Tyrion dies (though, along the the lines of this thread, I'll be more distraught if GRRM dies without finishing the f'n series).

There's definitely some characters that he needs to keep. Tyrion definitely. Daenarys. Jon Snow. Aray too since i think that the best is yet to come from her storyline.

I perservered until the seventh I believe and gave up. There was a lot of DAMN interesting stuff he could have written about, story threads he could have followed etc. He simply chose not to and I don't understand why. It's not even a case of drawing things out to leech more money out of the IP - he could have written just as much, but about INTERESTING things insrtead!...

In all, the WoT series ranks as pretty much the story with the highest ever unfulfilled potential methinks. It COULD have been so damn good. With RJ held in a tighter leash and his editor shaving off a couple hundred pages per volume tghe books would have been much better.
And regardless of everything I feel about the later volumes in his series, just imagining the very ffirst sections of the eye of the world as a movie simply gives me goosebumps all over.

I have to agree with this. I know I am late to the thread, I knew when he died as my wife and I both read his stuff, but I quit being enamored with his writing when it started to dodder around. I remember reading the stuff with the village where the ghosts were coming back and such like and thinking, boy finally something is going to happen, nope nothing...

\
What I don't like is that he kills off ALL the main characters.

Me too, I don't mind one or two, but MArtin's work I found just as unrealistic as the untouchable bit. You have people going from intelligent, to stupid so quickly it makes your head spin. Yes smart people make dumb decisions sometimes, but he just did not justify the characters foolish choices often and I found it just as silly as many other failings.

I must recommend Carol Berg as well.

http://www.sff.net/people/carolberg/

The lighthouse one is very well done. I think she writes a very good story though the bridge series also faltered IMO near the end. Don't know if she counts as high fantasy I am not sure what makes it high fantasy anyway I just like reading books that I enjoy :)

I did not like Robin Hobbs soldier son series so far much myself, the tawny man stuff was pretty good though.

Edit: one thing.

Do youguys like, dislike, not care if a series is written out of order? I know Jordan tried some prequels as other authors have. Modesset did that and it worked ok, but it seems usually it is a flop. I was just wondering if it is b/c the tension disappears, or b/c people just get annoyed by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly find prequels annoying when they are done before the damn series is complete. Particularly when you die before completeing the main story. A la Jordan (not that I was reading his drivel by then).

I read the first 9 books of WoT then gave up.

RIP

edit: I have to say that Robert Jordan had a nack for writing female characters that are almost impossible to not hate.

Glad to hear it's being worked on. I need to get some closure.

Glad to hear it's being worked on. I need to get some closure.

Indeed.

Also, I wasn't aware that this book would be the last. Every time I checked on the status of the series the running joke was "3 more books". Also, last I'd heard book 13 was rumored as most likely to be the last, yet this is book 12.

Crazy conspiracy theory:
Brandon Sanderson is as much of a real name as Robert Jordan. Therefore, Brandon Sanderson is RJ's new alter-ego, and he's not dead afterall. :oops:

I remember RJ announcing after book 11 had come out that the next one would be the last, even if it ended up being 1500 pages in a hardcover.

Yeah but there was really no movement toward closure. The only thing that happened on that front was Nynavae riding around the north country getting an army together. Otherwise everything was worthless as far as actually moving toward closure. I have no idea how he could have tied it up in one book without it feeling horribly rushed to be honest.

Yeah but there was really no movement toward closure. The only thing that happened on that front was Nynavae riding around the north country getting an army together. Otherwise everything was worthless as far as actually moving toward closure. I have no idea how he could have tied it up in one book without it feeling horribly rushed to be honest.

Exactly. And he even talked about the last book needing to be a multi-thousand page behemoth that might require new binding techniques to be created for its publication. I can't recall what, if anything, happened in book 7-10, aside from RJ and his publisher milking the series like gold flowing through a cow's teat.

Rushed or not, it will be an end and at this point, it is pretty much all I want.

Rushed or not, it will be an end and at this point, it is pretty much all I want.

Umm, I used to say something similar about the Dune series. Herbert senior died without actually bringing closure to his grand saga. The butchering of it by his kid and Kevin J. Anderson made me regret ever wishing for closure...they were that bad and somehow tainted the series as a whole. Overall, I've loved WOT, so if this prick comes off and makes a mess of things I'll be quite unhappy.

Back