Beyond3D Dogs

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
I've meant to post a thread about having dogs as pets here for ages, since I've had dogs for nearly three years now. Not quite sure how I got through adult life without them before, given the benefits in companionship, exercise, fun, happiness and general wellbeing that they add to life.

I've got a pair of chiweenies (chihuahua and miniature dachshund crossbreed, think the name has its origins in the States), Teddy (2.5yo) and Rosie (just turned 3yo). They're brother and sister from the same parents, but different litters. Here's Ted:

11195620_888475531210426_775985396_n.jpg

And the pair of them:

11203440_569033003237893_271118114_n.jpg

Less than 10kg (5.5kg for Rosie!), about the same physical dimensions as a cat, although obviously quite a bit more dense, and full of can't-leave-their-humans-alone companionship, laughs and fun. Christine and I got Ted because we wanted a dog that wasn't destructive to the house when left to its own devices while we're both out, and that kind of behaviour isn't in their breed (they'll destroy toys, but not much else, which is fantastic), and then we got Rosie a little later when we'd house trained Ted and figured out that he'd love a friend. Rosie used to belong to Christine's mum, but we took her on when her mum needed to downsize their zoo a bit.

They're both super friendly to Molly, the cat, and that's worked out great because we've had Molly for nearly 5 years now and she was here first, so she's the boss. Ted has only known Molly since he was a tiny pup, and Rosie took his lead with her when we added her to the family. The three of them sometimes play together, which is epic to watch.

I can't stress how much of an uplift they bring to my life. Bad days happen, but only until I get home and they say hi. I'm type 2 bipolar, and they've really helped manage that a bit better in the last few years. They're so much fun and have their own definite personalities; while typing this, I've watched Ted pop downstairs a small handful of times to get his toys, because if he wants to settle into a room in the house and play, usually the room that has the most sun throughout the day, he takes all of his toys with him. So cute watching him trot around enjoying the day, bringing Mr. Bear and Mr. Turkey and all of his other shredded and stuffing-liberated toys to play. Helps me enjoy my day. Rosie's more of a daddy's girl and is currently sleeping on my feet, because they're in a patch of sun in my office that she wants to sleep on.

They post pictures by themselves to Instagram (not a single word is written by me, I swear) if you need a dose of cute: https://instagram.com/teddyandrosie/

There must be more Beyond3D dogs? :D

No pictures to share, by our family has always been surrounded by dogs. Usually not less than 4 at any given time. The past few years, however, has seen one of my aunts go on a dog (and cat) adoption spree. So there's now 12 dogs permanently at the family ranch, along with 4 others that come when my other aunt visits, and another 2 that come when my aunts best friend visits. Along with 4 ranch cats. :)

Dogs are the best things ever.

Regards,
SB

The only thing I don't like about small dogs (or rat-dogs as I call them, sorry @Rys :) ) is their yapping. I can't stand when I go to friends places and their little dogs just constantly yap in that loud high pitch way. My wife and I both agreed early on we wanted large dogs, though we're paying for it now for bed real estate :devilish:

The only thing I don't like about small dogs (or rat-dogs as I call them, sorry @Rys :) ) is their yapping. I can't stand when I go to friends places and their little dogs just constantly yap in that loud high pitch way. My wife and I both agreed early on we wanted large dogs, though we're paying for it now for bed real estate :devilish:
Mine don't yap, which is great. Ted will manbark at strangers sometimes, otherwise they're low volume :D

This is my loveable rogue. 25 kilos of undetermined heritage that is sometimes referred to as the 'Singapore Special' breed.

IMG_20150326_210633lo.jpg

Shelter volunteers rescued him and his sister from the truck parking in an industrial area where he was born and likely bred. Sadly, their three other siblings didn't make it out of there.
He was given the name Laifu which is supposedly Chinese for something like 'let good things come' and we like that so we stuck with it.

IMG_20150326_210337lo.jpg

He's been with us for about 2 years now and has shown real initiative in taking on responsibilities like guarding the fridge and air-conditioners closely. These are important assets for a doggie and his family in the tropics and you can never be sure that someone won't just come by to carry them away so he is taking care to stay on top of that situation.

-edit- raw pictures were too big

Last edited:
Back