Robert Jordan has passed away

Bludd

Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
Veteran
My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace. :(

All his fans will surely miss his writings.

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90#comments

The blog may be hard to reach at the moment so here is the post.

The disease mentioned is some form of heart disorder.

Sometimes even when you’ve fought your best….
Posted by Wilson on September 16th, 2007 in the Robert Jordan's Blog category
spacer.gif

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain. In the years he had fought this, he taught me much about living and about facing death. He never waivered in his faith, nor questioned our God’s timing. I could not possibly be more proud of anyone. I am eternally grateful for the time that I had with him on this earth and look forward to our reunion, though as I told him this afternoon, not yet. I love you bubba.
Our beloved Harriet was at his side through the entire fight and to the end. The last words from his mouth were to tell her that he loved her.
Thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and support through this ordeal. He knew you were there. Harriet reminded him today that she was very proud of the many lives he had touched through his work. We’ve all felt the love that you’ve been sending my brother/cousin. Please keep it coming as our Harriet could use the support.
Jason will be posting funeral arrangements.
My sincerest thanks.
Peace and Light be with each of you,
Wilson
Brother/Cousin
4th of 3
To Catalyst: Never, never loose faith. RJ did not. Harriet hasn’t. I haven’t. Going through what we have, our faith is only strengthened. Besides, if God didn’t exist, we would have never had Jim. We did. God does. Remember my Brother/Cousin, my friend, think of him fondly and glorify God’s name.
Editor’s Note:
The entire staff of Dragonmount.com would like to extend its most deepest sympathies to Robert Jordan’s family. He touched all of our lives in some way and we wish him the rest and peace he deserves. We will be posting information in the near future about where you can send condolences. Please check the News Section for these updates.

Quite sad. He'll be missed. Of course there are those that won't believe this, especially since it had been a running joke in the community of WoT fans that he would fake his own death. I hope people can appreciate RJ and pray for his family rather than focus on any possible conspiracy theory.

How can you be someone's brother *and* cousin?

His series was utter shit after the first 3 or 4 books, but after reading hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of essentially nothing, I'd hoped to see some conclusion to the entire mess. I've heard he left detailed notes so the publisher could get another writer to finish the last book.

Anyways, RIP.

RIP. Im sure he will be missed by many people.

epic

he might have meant, my brother, his cousin?
His series was utter shit after the first 3 or 4 books, but after reading hundreds, if not thousands, of pages of essentially nothing, I'd hoped to see some conclusion to the entire mess. I've heard he left detailed notes so the publisher could get another writer to finish the last book.
I stopped reading his series because it was getting extremely tedious to read. I was hoping to get to the series again once he had finished it. Hope they get someone decent to get it done.
Anyways, RIP.
agreed.

The last book was very good IMO, the second to last was not at all.

Overall I loved his series, although I feel he stretched it for far too long, and trivialized a lot of things that started out as unique and special in the books, thus making the last installments feel cheapish. That being said, who the heck is going to finish it now?I want closure, damn it!

Only if your uncle is your father I suppose! :LOL:

His series was utter shit after the first 3 or 4 books
I perservered until the seventh I believe and gave up. There was a lot of DAMN interesting stuff he could have written about, story threads he could have followed etc. He simply chose not to and I don't understand why. It's not even a case of drawing things out to leech more money out of the IP - he could have written just as much, but about INTERESTING things insrtead!

Instead we got lengthy and boring discussions between characters bickering, conversations he'd already described like a hundred times over and lots of filler crap. Oh, and an endless procession of new characters and names I had Serious Trouble telling apart after say, the fifth book or so.

In all, the WoT series ranks as pretty much the story with the highest ever unfulfilled potential methinks. It COULD have been so damn good. With RJ held in a tighter leash and his editor shaving off a couple hundred pages per volume tghe books would have been much better.

Anyways, RIP.
Yeah.

Actually I'm shocked he's dead. I didn't even know he was sick TBH.

And regardless of everything I feel about the later volumes in his series, just imagining the very ffirst sections of the eye of the world as a movie simply gives me goosebumps all over.

The movie would start pretty much as the prologue does, with LTT walking through his ruined house, oblivious to the destruction he's caused. Then the scene with the Betrayer would follow, with LTT realizing what he's done, followed by his suicide and the creation of the Dragonmount in a brilliant exampe of special effects. The new volcano would spew smoke and lava, and as the camera moves in, the vision is obscured by steam and smoke...during which a cut is made that spans three millennia and when we can see the ground clearly again we cue title and hollywood score as hordes of pissed-off Aiel warriors stampede across the rocky mountain and Rand's busy being born. :cool:

Can't get a movie to start off much better than that hehe. It's LATER that problems would arise...

Peace.

My biggest problem with WoT was the sheer amount of "untouchable" characters. This is what made the 3 first books in George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire saga so good, the way he killed off main characters. It made the story much more alive.

Also, Robert Jordan had a weird fascination with describing all the Aes Sedai in the room down to the tiniest detail, page up and page down.

Anyway, the last book really invigorated the series for me and I really hope we can see the last book come out in the future, and with the ending Robert Jordan envisioned.

My biggest problem with WoT was the sheer amount of "untouchable" characters. This is what made the 3 first books in George R.R. Martin's Ice and Fire saga so good, the way he killed off main characters. It made the story much more alive.
\
What I don't like is that he kills off ALL the main characters.

Surely, not all. Many are still alive, though Catelyn's situation is debatable. :D

Ok, not ALL, but nearly all.

I'm reading the first book, and one of the primary protagonists and points of view: WHACK.

The next book. WHACK WHACK WHACK.

The next? WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK.

But it'll all be forgiven if he finishes the series in another book or two, and does it before he dies. If he catches chronic-Jordanism, I swear I'll swear off of high fantasy forever, particularly series.

If you want someone concise but awesome, I would recommend Robin Hobb's fantasy trilogies (by concise I mean that she actually finishes story lines inside 3 books :D):

The Farseer Trilogy
Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
Royal Assassin (1996)
Assassin's Quest (1997)
The Liveship Traders Trilogy
Ship of Magic (1998)
The Mad Ship (1999)
Ship of Destiny (2000)
The Tawny Man
Fool's Errand (2002)
Golden Fool (2003)
Fool's Fate (2003)
Soldier Son Trilogy
Shaman's Crossing (2005)
Forest Mage (2006)
Renegade's Magic (2007)​

If you want someone concise but awesome, I would recommend Robin Hobb's fantasy trilogies (by concise I mean that she actually finishes story lines inside 3 books :D):

The Farseer Trilogy
Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
Royal Assassin (1996)
Assassin's Quest (1997)
The Liveship Traders Trilogy
Ship of Magic (1998)
The Mad Ship (1999)
Ship of Destiny (2000)
The Tawny Man
Fool's Errand (2002)
Golden Fool (2003)
Fool's Fate (2003)
Soldier Son Trilogy
Shaman's Crossing (2005)
Forest Mage (2006)
Renegade's Magic (2007)​

I'll second those recommendations, at least the two "Assassin" series (Farseer & Tawny Man) as I can't speak for the other two. Hobb is an excelent writer. Doesn't write on the epic scale that Jordan or Martin do (did), but still very imaginative and descriptive worlds she creates.

You may also want to try Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy (in hardback. Four volumes in paperback IIRC)

You may also want to try Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy (in hardback. Four volumes in paperback IIRC)

You are correct. The first two books are separate volumes but the last one was divided into two volumes because of its length. I only read to the end of the 2nd volume, but what I read was pretty good. Not as good as Hobb, Jordan, or Martin, but still worth the read. Another series from Williams that's definitely worth reading is Otherland. More sci-fi than fantasy, but I highly recommend it even if you're a strict fantasy reader and don't venture into sci-fi land. It's very well-written and quite an original theme. Very relevant to our time as well, especially to netizens, particularly MMO players.

The DeathGate Cycle by Weis and Hickman is actually pretty good. Nice setting and the characters really draw you in.

epic

Back