Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

the PC version could probably potentially look better than the PS3 version, but reports thus far say both versions look identical.

Tim Sweeney said:
We’re going to significant lengths to take advantage of 512MB video cards and PCs with lots of memory. On PC, we’re shipping lots of 2048x2048 textures, a higher resolution than we can support pervasively on console platforms.

Link

Namely the subject of UT3's exclusivity?

- limited to console spectrum (PC version will be released at same time as PS3)
- time limited (minimum till 1 january 2008, after that depends on when Microsoft and Epic get the mod thing sorted out)

So, what's left to discuss? ;)

Thus UE3 runs significantly faster on CPUs which support two or more high-performance threads. This includes dual-core Intel and AMD PC CPUs, the Xbox 360 (which sports 3 CPU cores and 2 hardware threads per core), and PlayStation 3 (with 1 CPU core running 2 high-performance hardware threads per core.)

Such quotes always get me wondering ... no wonder Sony sent a team of SPU programmers in his direction. ;)

I've gone obver this in subsequent posts and therefore i'm not going to re-iterate..

If you want to ignore them and refocus on the initial one then thats your problem..

:LOL:
Why do I need to prove anything to you? Like I said if you don't want to take my word for it then thats your own problem.. Your entitled to your own oppinion and frankly I don't care what you believe..
I don't frequent B3D to prove points that I make to people who question them..
If you don't like what i'm saying and you don't want to accept it then thats fine by me..

But don't for a second try to claim that I'm somehow talking shit/my points are any less valid than your own on the subject matter since I could just as well ask you to prove the opposite (which you sure as hell wouldn't be able to..)
Geez I don't get why some people get so arsey when you contend with their oppinion on a subject (regardless of whose the more informed, if at all..)

And for the record i'm not about to break NDA and lose my job just for the sake of an internet arguement.. It's CLEARLY not worth it..

Now maybe we can get back on topic please?

Namely the subject of UT3's exclusivity?

That's the funny thing about some of the people who come in here with so called special privileges... Come in talking all big shot clearly hinting you're in the know, except when called out says its clearly not worth proving since it's not worth losing your job. Great... then perhaps you should change the way you state things if you aren't going to ever go deeper than the surface.

Since you have no intention to prove or care to prove... yet you talk as if you're the one with the higher knowledge... there's no point for me to read any of your "shit" as anything other than that. Yes that is my opinion and as you so eloquently put it, I'm entitled to it... so we'll just keep it at that. Now, exclusivity..

That's the funny thing about some of the people who come in here with so called special privileges... Come in talking all big shot clearly hinting you're in the know, except when called out says its clearly not worth proving since it's not worth losing your job. Great... then perhaps you should change the way you state things if you aren't going to ever go deeper than the surface.

Since you have no intention to prove or care to prove... yet you talk as if you're the one with the higher knowledge... there's no point for me to read any of your "shit" as anything other than that. Yes that is my opinion and as you so eloquently put it, I'm entitled to it... so we'll just keep it at that. Now, exclusivity..
:oops:

Fair enuff..

:D

Q. Does Unreal Tournament 3 support HDR rendering with Anti-aliasing?

A. Yes, on Windows Vista. On all PC platforms, we support running with 16-bit-per-component frame buffer (64 bits total). MSAA anti-aliasing support is only enabled on DirectX 10, because the deferred rendering techniques used by the engine require some capabilities not included in DirectX 9.

Tell that to the Killzone Dev's :rolleyes:

If you'd read the comment I quoted, I think that would have been apparent.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if so just correct me... but almighty is mentioning that killzone seems to be using deferred and AA "on a console", which the dev's stated as impossible because of directx10.

The kicker is that UT3 is obviously not using DX anything on the PS3, so really, bringing DX into the reason why consoles can't have deferred and AA is just misleading. The article almost reads: "only DX10 can do deferred rendering and AA, nothing else". We all know deferred rendering and AA is not specific to DX10. I wonder why dev's speak this way... it only fuels some of the ignorance on the gaming boards and makes most of them just impossible to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if so just correct me...

The kicker is that UT3 is obviously not using DX anything on the PS3, so really, bringing DX into the reason why consoles can't have deferred and AA is just misleading.

Bingo. Sorry, it seems I should've been more explicit, I forgot what forum I was in. :p

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but if so just correct me... but almighty is mentioning that killzone seems to be using deferred and AA "on a console", which the dev's stated as impossible because of directx10.

The kicker is that UT3 is obviously not using DX anything on the PS3, so really, bringing DX into the reason why consoles can't have deferred and AA is just misleading. The article almost reads: "only DX10 can do deferred rendering and AA, nothing else". We all know deferred rendering and AA is not specific to DX10. I wonder why dev's speak this way... it only fuels some of the ignorance on the gaming boards and makes most of them just impossible to read.

I think for all intents and purposes the quote was directed at those with a PC as opposed to anyone else. MSAA and deferred rendering on PC for those with DirectX 10 cards and windows vista. It seemed clear to me that they were NOT referencing consoles whatsoever in the context of the question.

Yes, they weren't but Almighty was. I don't think Dabomb was alluding to that either, though his sentence structure made that a little grey when taken out of the context of the discussion.

Are you guys even sure that Killzone 2 uses DR + MSAA? Or could they simply be using some kind of edge smoothing like Gears on the 360?

Can any devs comment on whether DR + MSAA is possible/practical on either of the consoles due to the closed box environment?

Are you guys even sure that Killzone 2 uses DR + MSAA? Or could they simply be using some kind of edge smoothing like Gears on the 360?

Can any devs comment on whether DR + MSAA is possible/practical on either of the consoles due to the closed box environment?

Check the Tech forum..

There's a long thread on this which answers all your questions..

Back