The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A IBM take over makes sence though. Got to give it some credit.

Yeah, today I realized it. I came across an information that IBM also has a similar kind of cross patent licensing as AMD. Because of that, AMD is the only one that can buy it.

Some counter argue on the basis that IBM is only providing soft business "solutions". Nonsense. Look at the modern consoles. Something they lack, though, is expertise with PC GPUs. AMD is the best option for them. AMD has CPU expertise (Nvidia don't) and GPU top market expertise ( Intel doesnt have).

If the future is GPCPU, IBM might benefit heavily from this.

Source: No Truth To IBM-AMD Acquisition Rumors

Widespread talk of an IBM-Advanced Micro Devices merger, credited for giving AMD (NYSE:AMD)'s share price an upward kick of nearly 11 percent for a few hours Wednesday, is nothing but speculation run amok, a source close to AMD said Thursday.

"A deal could see IBM (NYSE:IBM)'s microelectronics division merge with AMD at some point, possibly in the near term," reported Mergemarket's David Zielenziger in the online version of the Financial Times Wednesday.

But the M&A rumor mill often churns out scenarios involving Sunnyvale, Calif.-based AMD, many citing Armonk, N.Y.-based IBM as a possible buyer, the source said. In this case, the source wondered whether published speculation by a financial analyst might have been misinterpreted and then passed on as fact by the "industry sources" cited by Zielenziger.

Interestingly, though in no way confirmed as relevant to the AMD-IBM rumors, in 2004 the chipmaker and the computing giant extended a resource-sharing contract to jointly develop 65nm and 45nm process technologies, among other R&D arrangements. That contract extension called for AMD to pay IBM between $250 million and $280 million, and it's up at the end of this year.

http://www.crn.com/hardware/205918278?cid=topicalFeed

It seems AMD really torned badly its image in Korea, and maybe in other Asian coutries. Look at this:

The original AMD-based spec that Sun Microsystems won the deal with some 9 months ago, revolved around many 2.5+ GHz Barcelona quad core CPUs. As you know, a 2.5 GHz Barcelona would, with 10 GFLOPs peak per core, provide 40 GFLOPs peak per chip, or some 4,000 chips (over 500 eight-socket systems) to come close to the performance goal.

We all know what happened next, both with the performance and the deliveries. And, the inevitable followed - the last I heard recently was Sun staff were busily replacing AMD with new 45 nm Intel specs, and the Koreans will, now, have Intel "eight-brain chips" - to use BBC Teletubby-IQ wonderspeak, "thinking" inside their, and probably Asian, largest supercomputer in these few months.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/29/amd-loses-largest-asia

Ouch :s

While this is surely disappointing to AMD it seems sensationalist to say this single lost sale shows AMD's image is torn in Korea. Heck, AMD's image has likely taken a blow everywhere. I don't see what makes Asian countries any different.

AMD's purchase of ATI is coming to fruition. They can no longer ship anything but big ideas and flawed products. They bought the whole sale of goods, and until they get rid of the troublemakers in the company, namely the ones who still buy into poor development and errant engineering as a product, they aren't going to ship anything worth a damn. Hate anyone who says so, but it is still the truth - look at their financials for the evidence. ATI mindset FTL.

Intels Penryns are delayed till the end of Q1 so it's not that bad to release a few months behind with a better product. Now hopefully we can get at least decent performance out of it. I might even get one haha and go for an all AMD system.

Hitting the mid range is all they need to do to win OEM designs etc. Thats where most the money is made. Prestige is upmarket, but the money is mainstream.

Edit: Not better, I mean they have fixed it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Intels Penryns are delayed till the end of Q1 so it's not that bad to release a few months behind with a better product. Now hopefully we can get at least decent performance out of it. I might even get one haha and go for an all AMD system.

How is Phenom a better product? Even with the TLB fixed, performance still isn't up to par with current Intel offerings in many areas.

AMD's purchase of ATI is coming to fruition. They can no longer ship anything but big ideas and flawed products. They bought the whole sale of goods, and until they get rid of the troublemakers in the company, namely the ones who still buy into poor development and errant engineering as a product, they aren't going to ship anything worth a damn. Hate anyone who says so, but it is still the truth - look at their financials for the evidence. ATI mindset FTL.

What exactly did ATI have to do with the problems of Phenom, or the follow-up products to Athlon as a whole? Those were issues in place long, long before ATI was in in the picture.

In fact, if you look at AMD's business in GPUs, chipsets and CPUs, the CPU part is problematic, whereas the ex-ATI parts doing GPUs and chipsets are actually doing very well in comparison.

Hitting the mid range is all they need to do to win OEM designs etc. That's where most the money is made. Prestige is upmarket, but the money is mainstream.
It's strange how this myth stays alive.

The mainstream is where you're priced more or less at the same level as your competitor. You'll make money to recoup costs and a bit of profit. The high-end margins are so much higher that they make the difference between a decent and incredibly profitable product.

When you're in a situation where you can't compete in the high-end, your mainstream margins are significantly lower than your competitor, and you're not in a price war, you're going to stay alive, but you most certainly won't be the darling of Wall Street.

To quote Arun quoting somebody else: profitless prosperity... Which is basically where AMD has been for the last 15 years. (Even during the recent outlier, their revenue was still on the order of the profit of Intel.)

I wonder how much different the volume is for high-end and mid-range in the 3D card industry. When you look at the OEM PC makers, you see that they mostly sell the low-end cards. So the huge volume is probably down with the HD2400/8500 cards. When you look at the higher cards I'd think that most sales go to enthusiasts/gamers and that probably means volume is much lower from there on up....

Mind share is critical though and not being at or near the top in performance with some ridiculously expensive card is just going to hurt a company.

I guess the high end is useful for the Halo effect on the Trademarks of a company, not that it's profitable for it self. The volumes sales are so small anyway.

Phenom schedule pushed back again

"HKEPC's roadmap also includes details about 65nm chips. Supposedly, we'll have to wait until the third quarter before AMD releases a 2.6GHz Phenom. Folks waiting for the 2.4GHz part will be forced to bide their time until May or June, as will those expecting triple-core Phenoms based on the TLB erratum-free B3 stepping. Even triple-core Phenoms based on the B2 stepping have been pushed back, HKEPC says, adding that they're now due in March."

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/14049

PHENOM 9700 9900 canceled

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=17950&catid=2
http://www.hkepc.com/?id=755&fs=news

IMHO, I give up on AMD. I just hope some other company can bring competition to Intel.

Phenom schedule pushed back again

"HKEPC's roadmap also includes details about 65nm chips. Supposedly, we'll have to wait until the third quarter before AMD releases a 2.6GHz Phenom. Folks waiting for the 2.4GHz part will be forced to bide their time until May or June, as will those expecting triple-core Phenoms based on the TLB erratum-free B3 stepping. Even triple-core Phenoms based on the B2 stepping have been pushed back, HKEPC says, adding that they're now due in March."

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/14049

PHENOM 9700 9900 canceled

http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=17950&catid=2
http://www.hkepc.com/?id=755&fs=news

IMHO, I give up on AMD. I just hope some other company can bring competition to Intel.

Read that last part more cafefully. The 9900 SKU has been cancelled, but a 2.6GHz quad core Phenom has not. They're simply going to release a B3-rev part as the 9950 instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back