The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyo's ultra high performance tires are known to have excellent wet traction, which tires were you running?:???:

When they are really new maybe , but they wear down very quickly. I think I had the top model Proxes they had at that time (2002). I remember they got good reviews but after 4-5 months they were useless in rain and I don`t think I pushed them really hard in that time.

Are you talking about the intro that comes on the disc of the BD version and is available as a separate download for the PSN version? Because if that's the case, then it's a 60 fps version of what the replay engine produces at 30 fps in-game I think, if I remember correctly.

It's typically the first thing I switch off, so I haven't seen it in a while. I now see that animation with the three new cars being off-loaded from trucks, that's been up since spec III was launched (and which is realtime)

You seem to be correct with your 60 fps statement:

http://www.taxigamer.com/PlayStatio...ue/25645/video/317/Eu_Introduction_Movie.html

There is a 720p60 version available for download (guess it's likely that it has been reencoded from 1080p60 for download though):

Eu Introduction Movie
http://www.taxigamer.com/video/hd/TXGM_gt5p_intro.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
When they are really new maybe , but they wear down very quickly. I think I had the top model Proxes they had at that time (2002). I remember they got good reviews but after 4-5 months they were useless in rain and I don`t think I pushed them really hard in that time.

I'm on the Proxes R888 (semi-slick) since the 3rd season now and very happy with the grip. I don't use the car in wet conditions much, but having had a few rare occasions, I can say that they hold up pretty well. You should try Yokohama A048 (Lotus compound) - despite being more expensive, they're a lot worse, both in dry and wet!

Did I mention that I wrecked the car in the crash ? :oops:
So now I just drive a Prelude , I don`t need ultra high performance tires anymore. Firestone TZs or Uniroyal Ralley 550s are good enough now.

Thats what they say, the first time you lose it, a Scooby will try and kill you.

I fractured my skull in 2 places and broke a few ribs when I crashed mine.

I have a picture if you want to see it (of the wreck not my skull)

I suggest a separate thread for comparing x-rays, scars, wrecked cars and so on. ;-)

On topic do anyone have any idea what the WRC logo in the GT5-trailer actually means?
They wouldn´t need that license for including some of the WRC rally cars without WRC stickers would they? I mean they had rally cars in GT3 and GT4 without the WRC license.

Does it mean they are including authentic WRC tracks? Could Evolution Studios have sent them all the raw material they collected while they were doing the WRC series for the PS2? I really hope they have. It would be totally awesome if they picked the tree best stages (or possibly the best leg) in each country where they raced the last few years. It would make up some really awesome driving. As there is only one car on screen in WRC they could possibly push the visuals some extra notches in those tracks. Let us pray it will happen.

Did Evolution have the proper stages? As I recall there was only 5 or 6 stages per rally so I doubt it.

Anyway, having the licence adds authentisity to what they are doing. Regardless of if the stages actually represent the real stages. I imagine they didn't have to pay much for the licence as I guess everyone wants in on the GT series now, it's just that big.

Also the trailer must have been in the works for a long time, since the WRC crash/damage sequence was with a Subaru and they pulled out of the WRC before this season.

Cool ! Miyamoto poked around Killzone 2 and PSP Go booths too. It's always fun to talk to people in the same business. I wonder what they learned in the exchange.

Well the Yamauchi quote says it all:

Yamauchi: Straight off the bat, I think that in terms of feature sets, Forza is ahead of us. They have more options, you can do basically anything. We take a different approach obviously - we try to concentrate on what are the core values for a racing game, and we try to elevate those standards up as high as we possibly can. I am having difficulty trying to explain the differences, but one way you can look at it is, you can buy a watch that is super multifunctional, but economical, or a watch that is reduced in functions, but premium - higher end.

To focus on the core values, you need a wide base to sort through first. Surveying the landscape (and keeping it updated) is part of the exercise. They have chosen their direction. Whatever helps them to get there is a plus. As I heard, GT5 is a huge game; PD will need all the input and data to distill and focus (Alternate approaches, what's more important and what's nice to have given the resource usage ?)

[size=-2]Don't be so sensitive ! .... unless the Japanese visitors are not from PD :LOL:[/size]

EDIT: I don't know anything about racing. But it seems from the above posts that PD is going to rope in more race types ? Are they very different from the current Gran Turismo racing ? If so, I wonder if it's a distraction or a value add (PD would have their own perspective on it).

Did Evolution have the proper stages? As I recall there was only 5 or 6 stages per rally so I doubt it.

Anyway, having the licence adds authentisity to what they are doing. Regardless of if the stages actually represent the real stages. I imagine they didn't have to pay much for the licence as I guess everyone wants in on the GT series now, it's just that big.

You are probably right I don´t have WRC4 at home at the moment so I could not check it. Anyway the internet tells me WRC4 is has over 100 stages which rymes pretty well with your estimate of 5-6 stages/rally. If they could bring two stages from each rally to GT5, PD would make me a very happy camper.

To be really honest, I'm not sure if I should be excited or not about GT5. Since I track my car regularly, the whole sim racers thing on a tv screen just leaves me cold.

On the other hand though, being able to 'virtually' race on the Nordschleife (which is over 600km away from me - but still a lot closer than most of you I could imagine :p) is a huge plus point I'm looking forward to. And of course not having to worry about making any futile mistakes.

I really do hope they include some form of damage though. I remember playing Need for Speed: High Stakes back on the PSone and despite the pace being a lot slower than NFS3, I loved the fact they included some form of damage. Having to spend cash to get the parts fixed again gave a lot new meaning to the game and I hope Polyphony can finally include something similar. I guess it wouldn't have to be full blown damage (that would probably be denied by car manufacturers), but at least some visible damage/scratching of the cars that will cost lots of money to repair. That would also force players to race more responsible to be more efficient.

Edit: Macabre - really sorry to hear about your car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do hope they include some form of damage though. I remember playing Need for Speed: High Stakes back on the PSone and despite the pace being a lot slower than NFS3, I loved the fact they included some form of damage. Having to spend cash to get the parts fixed again gave a lot new meaning to the game and I hope Polyphony can finally include something similar. I guess it wouldn't have to be full blown damage (that would probably be denied by car manufacturers), but at least some visible damage/scratching of the cars that will cost lots of money to repair. That would also force players to race more responsible to be more efficient.
I was playing NFS: Shift and one of the AI's nudged my back bumper and knocked me sideways in the middle of the track. Most of the AI's passed me, but the last one t-boned me and sent my car flying end over end in the air. The screen shake in Shift is so extreme (and often excessive) that I damn near shat myself! I really don't expect that kind of response from simmy console racers.

I think Iron Tiger specifically refers to the bit where he's t-boned. ;) The point where the AI nudged his back bumper probably less important - but yes, Forza 2 AI does that *a lot*, pushing you around.

It will be interesting though, what with cars now allowing to be flipped over, will PD have enough time to work that into GT5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back