The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's pretty impressive! 3 million polys for the car data. I wonder how they manage that? Are the full models loaded in game, or are the models stored in pieces that are loaded separately as needed?

I think what Polyphony need to do now is elevate the scenery. 1080p60 and high-res cars is impressive, but a lot of gamers would be happy to have 720p if it meant the scenery was raised to the quality of other racers.

I saw the long trailer. I like exotic cars but belong to the camp who whined about GT's difficult play mechanics (Skiding !). Am glad that they have a separate physics just for people like me.

Can you turn your head and look around the car interior ? Or is it only the panel ?

Yes, that's pretty impressive! 3 million polys for the car data. I wonder how they manage that? Are the full models loaded in game, or are the models stored in pieces that are loaded separately as needed?

Well, if you look at the rest of the scenery i think its pretty easy to understand how they manage this right now.

I'm sure however they have some sort of scaling method with different LOD models (distant cars are less detailed)

Yes, that's pretty impressive! 3 million polys for the car data. I wonder how they manage that?
It sounds like a huge number but you'd probably need between 50-100 Mbytes to store the all the models + lod (not including textures).
I roughly computed that assuming 20 bytes per vertex to store compressed position,tangent space and couple of uv coords, between 1 and 1.5 verts per triangle, plus 33% more data to store LODs.

I think what Polyphony need to do now is elevate the scenery. 1080p60 and high-res cars is impressive, but a lot of gamers would be happy to have 720p if it meant the scenery was raised to the quality of other racers.
With the tracks we have seen so far you can only do so much with the scenery..

Well, if you look at the rest of the scenery i think its pretty easy to understand how they manage this right now.

I'm sure however they have some sort of scaling method with different LOD models (distant cars are less detailed)

Probably. I thought GT uses EDGE for triangle culling also ?

Any words on the "ray traced" pitstop ? What exactly does it use ?

Last edited by a moderator:
With racing games is also relatively easy to get occlusion culling right without a zprepass.
For example you draw the cockpit first cause it's very close to the camera and fills a lot of pixels, then each car gets rendered front to back so that they can occlude the road and other cars as well.
In the end you add the scenery (front to back again) and transparent stuff (back to front).
I wish we could do that on any game :)

That's what the London City track should show, seeing the glimpse of it in the E3 trailer.

With racing games is also relatively easy to get occlusion culling right without a zprepass.
For example you draw the cockpit first cause it's very close to the camera and fills a lot of pixels, then each car gets rendered front to back so that they can occlude the road and other cars as well.
In the end you add the scenery (front to back again) and transparent stuff (back to front).
I wish we could do that on any game :)

So in your opinion should it be so surprising that they're able to get the performance they currently have at the moment? It sounds as though there's less overhead to be dealt with for racing games particularly.

So in your opinion should it be so surprising that they're able to get the performance they currently have at the moment?.
Of course it's suprising! other devs developing (or that have deveoped) racing games have the same advantages compared to other games (
from a rendering standpoint) but how come often their games run at half the frame rate while rendering half the pixels ..and don't look (at least cars wise) as good as this one..

Cool. :cool:

I wonder what their approach is, because that's a really good point (Polyphony managing 60p while similar games are achieving half that).

Having never played a console game at 60fps before...

... would GT5 need motion blur... or since its 60fps it should be fine without it?

Of course it's suprising! other devs developing (or that have deveoped) racing games have the same advantages compared to other games (
from a rendering standpoint) but how come often their games run at half the frame rate while rendering half the pixels ..and don't look (at least cars wise) as good as this one..

Seriously, GT5 is delivering 4x the pixels as everyone else? I thought games like Forza 2 were running at ~720p, 60fps. Or was he talking about other PS3 racers? I mean, I'm suspicious of a 2x improvement for the same gen, but 4x sounds too good to be true. As talented and financially secure as Polyphony is, surely there's not that much room for improvement right now? Maybe Cell is that amenable to racing games.

Anyway, the in-car view looks fantastic.

That's what the London City track should show, seeing the glimpse of it in the E3 trailer.

I haven't watched all the trailers as quite often I download a huge file and can't find the codec to the play the damb thing :(

OT: can anyone recommend a good codec pack? /OT

Do you think the London City track is actually an urban track?

I thought it was Brands Hatch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back