Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2024]

Unfortunately PS Plus Premium is locked to PS5. So it’s very much just try or download type functionality. Once you know you like the game, there is virtually no reason to not download it. So it really saves you the download time. And when you’re done the first time, you download overnight.

Xcloud supports all devices, mobile, PC, Xbox consoles, and tablets. So you have to worry about the concurrency on subscribers. It has high availability across larger geographical regions. I have serious doubts that PS Plus Premium can support 1000s of concurrent streaming per region. And they don’t have to feel bad about not offering it. If you cannoy stream it, then you just download it and play it on ps5. A bit different if you’re a mobile or PC only player that doesn’t have a console to download that game to.

I don’t see MS improving the service to become more premium until they have a cloud strategy that will net them real customers that are outside the Xbox console ecosystem.
It kind of defeats the purpose though for PS Plus Premium doesn't it?
It only functions as having the groundworks of the infrastructure for future business. Not much usefulness for enough people. I m trying to think of scenarios were it makes sense but it only covers a very tiny market as it is now that doesn't necessarily bring much value. PS Portal could have been a great candidate for PS Streaming without owning a console. But that only streams locally your actual PS.

It kind of defeats the purpose though for PS Plus Premium doesn't it?
It only functions as having the groundworks of the infrastructure for future business. Not much usefulness for enough people. I m trying to think of scenarios were it makes sense but it only covers a very tiny market as it is now that doesn't necessarily bring much value. PS Portal could have been a great candidate for PS Streaming without owning a console. But that only streams locally your actual PS.
It’s a decent dabble into the streaming space. From what I understand that is typically the largest use case for streaming on game pass; a try before you download type thing. Organically, it’s an interesting thing that happened on its own. But it can’t really be monetized, but useful as a test for future development.

Unfortunately it appears that everyone is struggling with generating demand for cloud gaming as a pure service on its own. While I get that platforms sees this as the future of gaming in over a decade from now, today, they just haven’t figured out how to make it work in the customers eyes just yet. The wrong type of games maybe
If you want to break into the mobile market.

PS Portal could have been a great candidate for PS Streaming without owning a console. But that only streams locally your actual PS.
Could that be updated? Were they waiting on PS5 game streaming before enabling it? That would finally justified PSPortal's existence to some degree where it really is the nichest of niches at the moment.

Could that be updated? Were they waiting on PS5 game streaming before enabling it? That would finally justified PSPortal's existence to some degree where it really is the nichest of niches at the moment.
No DLC on premium plus either, so it’s likely by design. It’s not currently setup to be a true cloud streaming service, availability would be their largest hurdle to overcome if they want to enter that space and that costs investment where there are not enough players willing to pay, yet.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:40 How PS+ Streaming Works
00:03:17 PS5 Install vs PS+ Cloud Image Quality Compared
00:06:32 PS+ vs xCloud Image Quality Compared
00:07:58 Frame-Rate Tested (A Plague Tale Requiem)
00:11:50 Frame-Rate Tested (Resident Evil 2 Remake)
00:14:47 Latency Tests
00:17:13 Round-up/Verdict

The video seems to be saying that the Series X units in MS's cloud gaming server blades can run two instances of Series S at once.

@Dictator is this true? It seems very plausible except for the CPU side of things.

Last edited:
Should hopefully improve on PC.. with the potential for hi res texture mods and potentially improved shadows.
UE4 can easily add RTAO and RT shadows, which should fix some of the glaring lack of shadows issues, but RTGI in UE4 is a bad implementation both quality and performance wise, though I it could alleviate some of the missing indirect lighting.

Digital Foundry was fortunate to receive access to a new Alan Wake 2 patch, landing on March 6th 2024 - and it's exceptionally good news for owners of GTX 10-series Nvidia graphics cards based on the Pascal architecture, with substantial performance boosts that make the game viable for play on millions of older systems. Alex takes a more holistic look at how the game has improved since launch, checking out general performance and UI enhancements, before delivering the good news for owners of older Nvidia hardware.

00:00 Introduction
00:58 Game Menu Improvements
02:01 Perf Improvements on Modern GPUs
03:05 Perf Improvements on GTX 10-Series Pascal GPUs
04:07 GTX 1060 Legacy Perf Problems
04:50 GTX 1060 Perf Improvements
06:13 GTX 1070 Perf Improvements
06:35 GTX 1080 Perf Improvements
07:04 GTX 1080 Ti Perf Improvements
07:43 Baseline GPU Recommendations For Alan Wake 2
09:32 GTX 1080 Ti vs... PlayStation 5?
10:23 GTX 1080 Ti vs RTX 2070 Super/RTX 3060/RTX 4060
11:00 Other Non-Mesh Shading GPUs Tested
13:00 Suggested Improvements
15:12 Conclusions

Label error
So the fps is fine but the card is actually a 4090? because that performance seems very low. It's 61fps whereas the 4070 is 43fps. That's only a 42% performance advantage for the 4090 when it should be more like 90%.

Edit: No, never mind. They're both 4070s but the first one is at max settings with PT and the second one is with PS5 performance mode settings.

Another big DF Direct Weekly sees John, Rich and Alex tackle the massive issue of lay-offs in the industry along with the welcome response from some developers in taking back control of their own destinies. Meanwhile, the team reacts to THAT Kingmakers trailer, while assessing Nintendo's legal action against the Yuzu Switch emulator. Finally, what is DirectSR?

0:00:00 Introduction
0:01:42 News 01: Massive gaming layoffs at Sony and EA
0:28:39 News 02: Studios take back control
0:39:37 John’s game buying interlude
0:41:59 News 03: Kingmakers trailer impresses
0:49:03 News 04: Nintendo seeking Yuzu emulator shutdown
0:57:12 News 05: Pentiment PS5 doubles Xbox version FPS target
1:07:38 News 06: DirectSR streamlines PC upsampling
1:16:08 Supporter Q1: Is the 5700X3D a good upgrade over a 2700X on an older system?
1:21:04 Supporter Q2: What kind of performance do you expect from a PS5 Pro?
1:26:35 Supporter Q3: When games are fully path traced, what options do you expect to see in their graphics menus?
1:30:27 Supporter Q4: How do you think the recent rounds of layoffs will impact QA?
1:33:45 Supporter Q5: Could a next-gen Xbox be much more powerful than its PlayStation counterpart?
1:41:03 Supporter Q6: Why don’t we see more physics-oriented features like PhysX today?
1:50:48 John’s next DF Retro!

1:41:03 Supporter Q6: Why don’t we see more physics-oriented features like PhysX today?
I guess it's another classic example of things not progressing because the proprietary solution stopped making progress while the open source solution never made any progress to begin with.

I remember the battle between PhysX vs Bullet vs Havok in the old days of GPU PhysX widespread, but neither Bullet or Havok managed to reproduce what PhysX did to this day, and independent developers also seem not interested, and in the end without NVIDIA backing the endeavor, the hope of advanced phsyics in games kinda died out.

By the way, NVIDIA got rid of the reliance on CUDA in the latest versions of GPU PhysX, FleX runs on DirectCompute and so it can run on any GPU.

The discussion around industry layoffs is a bit weird to me. People are mad at Sony for cutting spending because it cost people their livelihoods. I fully understand that. At the same time, the criticism of Xbox was always that they didn't have the same big AAA quality that Sony had. The majority of praise for Sony for the past 10 years has been regarding Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla, the studios that have been driving the huge narrative AAA games that's pushing the industry standards for production quality. It's what drives a forum like this and a channel like Digital Foundry (I know DF doesn't only praise big AAA titles). We all knew pre-PS5/SeriesX gen that game development costs were sky rocketing and development cycles were lengthening. We all knew game prices were going up in response. Yet the main talking point this gen has been, "Where are the next-gen exclusives?" and "Cross generation games need to end." I'm pretty sure even DF has brought up these points while waiting for the true next-gen experiences. Well, it turns out they cost A LOT of money and take a long time to make, and if the market is not growing, and the price of games can only go so high, that means a big company like Sony ends up operating at a 3% margin, or whatever it was, which puts the whole business at risk. Not sure what else could have happened here besides ignoring gamers (maybe the best thing you can do 99% of the time.) They invested mostly in giving people what they wanted and it didn't work. And this isn't a games as a service problem. Spider-Man 2 cost two or three times as much to make as Spider-Man 1, but the price of games only went up $10 USD. The math doesn't work out unless the market is growing, which it apparently is not.

Companies like Sony have to figure out how to manage layoffs. If you refrain from "punishing" Insomniac, that just hits another studio harder. Maybe that would be more fair, but they're likely trying to protect other studios from being shut down entirely. In situations like this companies will kind of spread the pain around and hope that none of their business units will fall below a threshold where they can't be productive anymore. Like you might have some idea that a studio could survive a 30% workforce reduction, so you shutter the whole thing and protect another business unit from layoffs. Or you predict another studio could handle 20%, but not 30%, so you cut the 10% headcount from somewhere else (Insomniac). None of it is fair, but it's better than the whole business crumbling. Slim margins are difficult. You make a few mistakes and your entire business goes under.

I work in an industry that's been through this cycle many times in the past 25 years. It's never nice. We're going through it again right now.

The discussion around industry layoffs is a bit weird to me. People are mad at Sony for cutting spending because it cost people their livelihoods. I fully understand that. At the same time, the criticism of Xbox was always that they didn't have the same big AAA quality that Sony had. The majority of praise for Sony for the past 10 years has been regarding Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla, the studios that have been driving the huge narrative AAA games that's pushing the industry standards for production quality.
Sony bought less than one studio every year up until 2019, and also trimmed them back down again on and off. Then they went on a spending spree buying more talent (IMO prompted by MS spending big) including six studios in 2021 and three in 2022, some of which had no prior releases and haven't released anything since acquisition. Now Sony are firing talent. How would you rate the business strategy of buying talent you can't afford to operate? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sony bought less than one studio every year up until 2019, and also trimmed them back down again on and off. Then they went on a spending spree buying more talent (IMO prompted by MS spending big) including six studios in 2021 and three in 2022, some of which had no prior releases and haven't released anything since acquisition. Now Sony are firing talent. How would you rate the business strategy of buying talent you can't afford to operate? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I imagine they predicted growth in the console space once supply limits ended. I would guess they expected to basically take a large chunk of Xbox's market share. Their prediction was wrong, unfortunately. In hindsight it's obviously a bad decision, but I don't really remember anyone sounding huge alarm bells for Sony. It could be out there, but I don't remember seeing it. Mostly there was just a lot of talk about how they were "winning" and how hot the PS5 was as a sales product. I'm not sure anyone expected the home console market to contract, which seems to be what's happening if I'm understanding correctly. Sony's raw unit sales will actually be lower than PS4 and Xbox's raw unit sales will be much lower than Xbox One.

I think Sony was basically trying to deliver exactly what their customers were asking for, but couldn't do it fast enough. Making these big games has become too difficult and too costly. I'd never claim they didn't make any mistakes, but I also don't have access to the information they do. The handling of things like the closing of that studio in the UK with Jim Ryan having his photo taken days before it was closed is absolutely atrocious and unkind, but looking at the business decisions in isolation is really hard to judge from the outside. Really can't say if they had better information to know they were heading down the wrong path, but I don't remember seeing concern from gamers or the gaming press.

Here's what Tim Sweeney had to say ...

Epic Games moved over to their own proprietary internal physics system because Nvidia didn't want to accept community contributions for PhysX. Their hope was that if PhysX became open source, there would be more games, engines, or other projects relying on the middleware but that never came to pass since the author didn't want to cooperate with the community's specific needs. Ultimately, their choice came down to either creating an incompatible fork of PhysX that likely wasn't going to see outside contribution or starting over with a simpler codebase that was going to better suit their own requirements ...

Back