AMD's FSR 3 upscaling and frame interpolation *spawn

According to HUB, FSR 3 now works with VRR.

FSR 3.0 Frame Generation now supports VRR displays, and it does not suffer from frame pacing issues. You also won’t have to force V-Sync. This is amazing news. And yes, the FSR 3.0 implementation is better than the one in Forspoken or Immortals of Aveum. However, most of you will still notice numerous tearing issues.

HardwareUnboxed has explained this issue. Apparently, FSR 3.0 Frame Generation is disabled for the game’s HUD elements. As a result of that, the game can feel stutter-y while moving the mouse. I was able to immediately notice this. So, for me, FSR 3.0 FG is a big no-no. Yes, it doesn’t have the previous frame pacing issues. However, I can’t stand tearing now that I’ve enjoyed the smoothness of G-Sync/FreeSync.

What does this mean?! When it tears then VRR is not working.

Yeah this makes 0 sense. A. Of course the frame generation is disabled for the HUD, what on earth would there be to update.B. Tearing is the opposite of stuttering, if it tears it doesn't stutter because it's refreshing as fast as possible even if that means the rest of the previous frame isn't out yet.

You can't move the mouse around an inventory at 120fps with frame generation unless you want mouse smoothing on and so your cursor feels like its drifting out of your control in a Fast and Furious movie. Better to have it disabled, besides how much time are 99% of people spending mousing over there inventory in 99% of games?

Yeah this makes 0 sense. A. Of course the frame generation is disabled for the HUD, what on earth would there be to update.B. Tearing is the opposite of stuttering, if it tears it doesn't stutter because it's refreshing as fast as possible even if that means the rest of the previous frame isn't out yet.

You can't move the mouse around an inventory at 120fps with frame generation unless you want mouse smoothing on and so your cursor feels like its drifting out of your control in a Fast and Furious movie. Better to have it disabled, besides how much time are 99% of people spending mousing over there inventory in 99% of games?

It looks like screen tearing because the HUD is one frame behind when the generated frame renders. The issue is instead of masking the HUD, it's a huge block around the HUD elements that's ignored, so it's super obvious.

Edit: I'll add that from the video the hud elements are very small, so I'm not really sure how noticeable it would be during actual gameplay.

Last edited:
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Librarie.../techniques/super-resolution-interpolation.md
FSR3 is finally open sourced on github! And yes all the optical flow pipeline are open-sourced as well.
This confirms why FSR3 cannot be added to DLSS2 (easily without extra modification), since it requires the luminance pyrimaid output from FSR2 passes. Although I think there is the possibility if the devs are willing put a lot more work (generating required infos by themselves in the DLSS pipeline).

I have taken a quick look on how OF1.0 work. There's no machine learning involved, and mainly relies on luminance differences to compute motion vectors. Personally I can think of many cases where luminance metrics could fail when reprojection, but I guess this is how far we can go with purely hand-tuned heuristics.
They also seem to pay extra attention on UI interpolation, offering developers the ability to either render the UI as the frame interporlation happens or draw the UI after the frame interporlation (full rate vs. internal rate). This is something I would imagine DLSS3 can improve as well, since it feels more like a framework change (or maybe dlss3 already support it but devs don't have much efforts for it).

I don't get Microsoft. They specifically requested DP4a for Series consoles, they've been working on machine learning upscaling for years, and yet they're still rocking nothing better than FSR2.

And on consoles, FSR is often run at 'balanced' or 'performance' equivalent scaling levels which can look pretty poor. Something better is definitely possible, but doesn't seem to be a priority.

I don't get Microsoft. They specifically requested DP4a for Series consoles, they've been working on machine learning upscaling for years, and yet they're still rocking nothing better than FSR2.

And on consoles, FSR is often run at 'balanced' or 'performance' equivalent scaling levels which can look pretty poor. Something better is definitely possible, but doesn't seem to be a priority.

Microsoft in an unbelievably massive company, places like these don't generally have some sort of coherent "master plan".

Stumbled upon this mod : https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3

It works surprisingly well (when it works). I've tried Alan Wake 2 and Lords of the Fallen and it has really impressed me. Returnal isn't working, and I am in the process of goinf through my library to see what more DLSS 3 enabled games I have to continue testing.

For RTX20 and RTX30 cards.

Oh and you get DLSS upscaling with FS3 frame gen.

Last edited:
Stumbled upon this mod : https://github.com/Nukem9/dlssg-to-fsr3

It works surprisingly well (when it works). I've tried Alan Wake 2 and Lords of the Fallen and it has really impressed me. Returnal isn't working, and I am in the process of goinf through my library to see what more DLSS 3 enabled games I have to continue testing.

For RTX20 and RTX30 cards.

Oh and you get DLSS upscaling with FS3 frame gen.

I need to try that out. I haven't had a chance to try FSR3 yet and my gpu doesn't support dlss frame gen.

Edit: There's a plugin version for special k, but doesn't seem to work for me. Might try the original, but not sure about disabling the nvidia signature checks. Not sure what the repercussions of that are.

Last edited:
I need to try that out. I haven't had a chance to try FSR3 yet and my gpu doesn't support dlss frame gen.

Edit: There's a plugin version for special k, but doesn't seem to work for me. Might try the original, but not sure about disabling the nvidia signature checks. Not sure what the repercussions of that are.
I cannot get it working as a Special K plugin either, or with it running. The nvidia signature check just enables the modified nvidia files to load. You can enable the signature checks again anytime you want.

I cannot get it working as a Special K plugin either, or with it running. The nvidia signature check just enables the modified nvidia files to load. You can enable the signature checks again anytime you want.

Can't get it to work with special k. Was able to get it running on its own, but for Alan Wake 2 I had to disable the Epic Games Store overlay, which requires moving files. Honestly, I'm kind of stunned at how good it is. The settings I'm using in Alan Wake 2 are 1440p DLSS quality with settings just a tad higher than the PS5 performance setting. I think I bumped up some reflections, fog, textures, clutter and maybe something else. Anyway, the scene I was in was about 103 fps. Turning on frame gen bumped it to 168 fps and input lag felt about the same as 103. So way smoother looking, and no noticeable impact to input. It's not the best area to test visuals, so I'd have to get further, but my initial impression is I would 100% use this if it was enabled in the game natively. Looking forward to more games adding FSR3 support, though I wish I could use DLSS upscale with FSR frame gen (I have an rtx3080).

Can't get it to work with special k. Was able to get it running on its own, but for Alan Wake 2 I had to disable the Epic Games Store overlay, which requires moving files. Honestly, I'm kind of stunned at how good it is. The settings I'm using in Alan Wake 2 are 1440p DLSS quality with settings just a tad higher than the PS5 performance setting. I think I bumped up some reflections, fog, textures, clutter and maybe something else. Anyway, the scene I was in was about 103 fps. Turning on frame gen bumped it to 168 fps and input lag felt about the same as 103. So way smoother looking, and no noticeable impact to input. It's not the best area to test visuals, so I'd have to get further, but my initial impression is I would 100% use this if it was enabled in the game natively. Looking forward to more games adding FSR3 support, though I wish I could use DLSS upscale with FSR frame gen (I have an rtx3080).
I got it working with Special K by installing it locally (renaming specialk64.dll to dxgi.dll and putting it in the .exe folder). If I inject it globally it does not work.

It's a game changer for me. I've noticed few artifacts but the smoothness is worth it IMO. Best thing about the mod is being able to use DLSS with FSR3 FG, I've read that most FSR3 complaints are because you have to use FSR upscaling with it thus image quality is not that great.

I got it working with Special K by installing it locally (renaming specialk64.dll to dxgi.dll and putting it in the .exe folder). If I inject it globally it does not work.

It's a game changer for me. I've noticed few artifacts but the smoothness is worth it IMO. Best thing about the mod is being able to use DLSS with FSR3 FG, I've read that most FSR3 complaints are because you have to use FSR upscaling with it thus image quality is not that great.

Did you get it working with Alan Wake 2? It's the only game I've tried. I also did a local install. Special K worked, but the dlssg to fsr3 mod did not. I set the mod as a plugin with early load and restarted. Frame gen was always greyed out. Tried it with the Epic overlay disabled and the nvidia signatures disabled and no luck. Using the nukem9 mod directly worked, but only with the ESG overlay disabled.

I have a 240Hz display, and if I'm playing single player games it's nice to be able to keep graphics up to something reasonable. Frame gen is a really nice option. I'd still want my native framerate to be 90+ and ideally 120+, and just let frame gen push me closer to 240.

Did you get it working with Alan Wake 2? It's the only game I've tried. I also did a local install. Special K worked, but the dlssg to fsr3 mod did not. I set the mod as a plugin with early load and restarted. Frame gen was always greyed out. Tried it with the Epic overlay disabled and the nvidia signatures disabled and no luck. Using the nukem9 mod directly worked, but only with the ESG overlay disabled.

I have a 240Hz display, and if I'm playing single player games it's nice to be able to keep graphics up to something reasonable. Frame gen is a really nice option. I'd still want my native framerate to be 90+ and ideally 120+, and just let frame gen push me closer to 240.
Yes, I got it working with local Special K install and the FSR mod installed directly, never got it working via SK's plugin system. Games I've tried and worked correctly: Alan Wake 2, Lords of the Fallen, the Witcher 3, Elden Ring with the DLSS 3 mod. Only with Returnal the mod hasn't worked.

Yes, I got it working with local Special K install and the FSR mod installed directly, never got it working via SK's plugin system. Games I've tried and worked correctly: Alan Wake 2, Lords of the Fallen, the Witcher 3, Elden Ring with the DLSS 3 mod. Only with Returnal the mod hasn't worked.

Did you have to disable the EGS overlay? I saw that as a tip in a comment on this video. Up to that point I hadn't been able to get it to work.

Back