Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad trailer at all, but a 2025 release? Yikes! Rockstar have not hit a release year announcement since GTA San Andreas. If this ships in 2026, I would be amazed. At least this lets me mentally put this on the back burner for a couple of years.

GTA IV was announced for 2007 and released in 2008, GTA V was announced for 2012 and arrived in 2013 Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced for 2017 and slipped to 2018.
but it's been in developpement for a longer time than the previous games, so maybe this time they'll stick to their initial release schedule.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is released, the game uses only software Ray Tracing. Despite this, the 4080 is 15% faster than 7900XTX, while the 4090 is 50% to 70% faster.

It is hardly an unsafe assumption that GTAVI will be an incredibly lively game in terms of physical interactions man. With that in mind, how did your response really make any sense? It's like suggesting we cant say the next Forza Horizon game will be a racing game simply because it isn't out yet.
My response makes sense because I'm not taking into account what is assumed to be true about an unreleased game based only on a trailer that doesn't specify that it's rendered in real time, in game, gameplay, or cinematics, or what hardware it's being displayed on, only what has been delivered in a released game. In it's current released state, CP2077 is an interactive experience. In it's current unreleased state, GTAVI is only a non-interactive trailer. And it's far enough away that anything we've already seen in the trailer could change.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is released, the game uses only software Ray Tracing. Despite this, the 4080 is 15% faster than 7900XTX, while the 4090 is 50% to 70% faster.

The press are wrong here.

It uses HWRT for diffuse GI, reflections, shadows and even audio.

They Just have software fallbacks If your hw does not support HWRT.

I was going to put this initially in the ue5 thread but figured it might be better here.

The performance metrics at the end claim 90fps with enlighten vs 30fps with lumen in their demo using a 3070. I suspect something like gta6 has rolled their own so it could be even more performant and/or less visual compromises than a middleware solution like this. 60fps gta6 and other future games might not be as far fetched as some of us think.

The press are wrong here.

It uses HWRT for diffuse GI, reflections, shadows and even audio.

They Just have software fallbacks If your hw does not support HWRT.
Do they use a special approach to Software RT, like signed distance fields or is it BVH in software?

I wonder if there are performance and/or visual differences between RT and non-RT cards.

Avatar looks quite good. I’m pleasantly surprised by how good it looks visually. There are a couple of things minor issues with some areas having lower quality textures but other than that, massive props to the team.

I was going to put this initially in the ue5 thread but figured it might be better here.

The performance metrics at the end claim 90fps with enlighten vs 30fps with lumen in their demo using a 3070. I suspect something like gta6 has rolled their own so it could be even more performant and/or less visual compromises than a middleware solution like this. 60fps gta6 and other future games might not be as far fetched as some of us think.

I've seen this company around for over a decade, off the top of my head I can't name a single game that's ever actually shipped with them. I don't know how they're still in business.

I've seen this company around for over a decade, off the top of my head I can't name a single game that's ever actually shipped with them. I don't know how they're still in business.

Well there we are, problem is close to none of these games actually use realtime GI, and that's what this middleware has been advertising forever (there's what, 2 with Mafia 3?). Looking at the posted video, this is just a middling GI solution that requires a lot of work from devs thanks to relying on cubemaps and probes that assumedly need dev markup, I.E. it offers neither the quality nor ease of use of Lumen.

More interesting is the upcoming GDC talk for Snowdrop (New Avatar game) RTGI: https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...timized-lighting-pipeline-for-consoles/900545

Sparse octree probe system for caching GI spatially is similar to Lumen's, but seems to be implied to be worldspace instead of being rebuilt into the view frustrum frame by frame like UE5 currently does. Which is a good use case, you'd be able to accelerate updating cached GI by ending rays early in worlspace once they're within a probes view frustrum (diffuse only but whatever that's how that works). More importantly, it could allow for cached diffuse sampling volumetric fog/clouds independently, which would be great for unified lighting.

Also mentions two new denoisers, which is always neat to see as denoising is a major visual quality component in RT right now.

Last edited:
For years Unity licensed Enlighten as their dynamic GI solution. This must have been a great deal for Enlighten as Unity decided to remove it that before even they rolled out any replacement.

Enlighten isn't so much a company but a set of GI tools that is owned by ARM (of mobile fame). the tools are licensed to Silicon Studios in Japan, who make games and offer tool services (building engines etc)

At the max settings "Unobtanium", Avatar Pandora runs at 31fps on a 4090 at native 4K, the 7900XTX runs at 18fps, making the 4090 72% faster.

At the max settings "Unobtanium", Avatar Pandora runs at 31fps on a 4090 at native 4K, the 7900XTX runs at 18fps, making the 4090 72% faster.

Averages 31fps? What are the percentile numbers here? Who would want to play at those framerates? I'd prefer playing on consoles at 60fps.

My point is: is that really a meaningful benchmark?

For those who missed it, the italicised shows the poster is being sarcastic - 'Cost per frame' is silly. Not to mention Sterling, Euro and Dollar is nonsensical as they are fluctuating reference points.

When someone misses your joke -humour is subjective, culturally influenced, and easily lost on the internet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Point out you were kidding gracefully and everyone can move on.
but how many Stanely nickels per frame is my question ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back