Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2023] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which game on PC looks better than this trailer? Maybe it's only me, but GTA6 looks miles above anything else I've played on PC, especially if you factor in city size, NPC density and all those tiny details like hair simulation. Hard to believe that this can run on a PS5.
Probably 1080p at a maximum before reconstruction. A wobbly 30 fps is also almost a certainty. I just hope they use their own tech and don't rely on FSR.

I'm saying that if we're 3 years in and you're still constantly saying nothing on consoles is 'truly next gen', and even massive studios with nearly unlimited budgets can't deliver that - then it may finally be time to recognize your definition of next-gen is arbitrary, and/or irrational.
Nah, this generation is far different from the previous generations. Everything was pushed back due to the pandemic so it's rather unsurprising that things are releasing later or in a worse state than expected. I still hold out hope that towards the end of the gen, we'll see more impressive offerings.
If you want to critique the marketing of Sony/Xbox in trying to set unrealistic expectations, fine. They always do that every gen, and it's always fair to critique advertising. I don't think it should be surprising though to anyone who regularly posts on a forum like this. We've had enough time where anyone who follows this industry to even a small degree should be able to set their expectations accordingly wrt what is actually achievable given the power on tap.
It's fair to criticize them for sure. As I said though, this generation is different. At least for me, there's no title that clearly separates last gen from current gen in the way that Killzone shadow fall/'BF4/Ryse did for the PS4/xb1. This gen so far has felt rather iterative especially when you account for mid-gen refreshes. I'm sure for many, GTA VI will be that title and for some, that title has already arrived. For me, I'm still waiting.

Nah, this generation is far different from the previous generations. Everything was pushed back due to the pandemic so it's rather unsurprising that things are releasing later or in a worse state than expected. I still hold out hope that towards the end of the gen, we'll see more impressive offerings.

It's fair to criticize them for sure. As I said though, this generation is different. At least for me, there's no title that clearly separates last gen from current gen in the way that Killzone shadow fall/'BF4/Ryse did for the PS4/xb1. This gen so far has felt rather iterative especially when you account for mid-gen refreshes. I'm sure for many, GTA VI will be that title and for some, that title has already arrived. For me, I'm still waiting.
Did you see this?

It's hard for me to understand how someone wouldn't view that as a huge jump.

Did you see this?

It's hard for me to understand how someone wouldn't view that as a huge jump.
Yes I did. It's a comparison of 2 unlike things with 2 entirely different design goals. Its hard to glean a lot from that type of comparison. Comparing 1800s western plains to 2023 Miami. Not a very useful comparison at all. That being said, you can see some improvements in cloud rendering and water rendering. Although the clouds still look low res. Also better textures but, that's a given. That's pretty much it. The comparison with GTA5 was much better. That being said, GTA5 is a ps3 game. Also, as to whether that GTA footage is in game or in engine remains to be seen. It's a very curated trailer cut with what looks like a lot of cinematics.

Last edited:
Yes I did. It's a comparison of 2 unlike things with 2 entirely different design goals. Its hard to glean a lot from that type of comparison. Comparing 1800s western plains to 2023 Miami. Not a very useful comparison at all. That being said, you can see some improvements in cloud rendering and water rendering. Although the clouds still look low res. Also better textures but, that's a given. That's pretty much it. The comparison with GTA5 was much better. That being said, GTA5 is a ps3 game. Also, as to whether that GTA footage is in game or in engine remains to be seen. It's a very curated trailer cut with what looks like a lot of cinematics.
Even with the differing design goals, the jump in geometry, shadows, lighting and overall fidelity is quite large.

Maybe someone will do a Spiderman 2 comparison. That would be interesting to see.

Maybe someone will do a Spiderman 2 comparison. That would be interesting to see.
Why would that concern me? I don't think Spiderman 2 is a great looking game. It's very average and for that reason I didn't buy it. It's not surprising though as it's Insominiac's 3rd game since the generation started? I remember when Rockstar used to release multiple games a generation.

What would be the comparable title to GTA 6 on PS4/Xbox One?

It doesn't exist. Only Rockstar makes this type of game and they skipped the PS4/Xbox One generation as it relates to GTA.
So then whatever improvements they make you can always say, "yes but the last GTA title was two generations ago, so you can expect a big improvement". And there's no way of determining what actual level of improvement you would expect comparing to a hypothetical GTA title that never arrived.

So Rockstar better make a military shooter or something if they need a "true" next-gen title.

What would be an interesting comparison would be doing a GTA 5 PC with graphics mods comparison with the GTA 6 trailer. I've tried searching but doesn't look like it's been done yet.

So then whatever improvements they make you can always say, "yes but the last GTA title was two generations ago, so you can expect a big improvement". And there's no way of determining what actual level of improvement you would expect comparing to a hypothetical GTA title that never arrived.

So Rockstar better make a military shooter or something if they need a "true" next-gen title.
Boy that's one slippery slope. It's hard to know what to expect but what I saw didn't wow. What I do know is that it looks cross gen to me. The technology appears to be very rooted in the ps4/xb1 era and be of that time period. Nothing wrong with that as long as the game is enjoyable. it just doesn't wow me visually. I mean, this hardly surprising. I wasn't wowed by Alan Wake and if I wasn't wowed by that, there was a sub-zero chance that I'd be wowed by GTA.

What would be an interesting comparison would be doing a GTA 5 PC with graphics mods comparison with the GTA 6 trailer. I've tried searching but doesn't look like it's been done yet.
GTAV for PC never got the "Next Gen" update that PS5/Series did, though. None of the advanced rendering features like RT reflections are available there. Even so, GTAV is always going to be held back by it's PS3/360 roots, just like Skyrim is.

I mean opinions man, that's kinda of how they work 🤷‍♂️.

Yea, this gen has been very dead although there have been some good games. I'm still waiting for my wow moment on the consoles though. Path tracing has been good on pc but on consoles, it's been kinda whatever for me.

Couldn't care less about Path tracing. Cyberpunk 2077 is full of it, but it still feels like a fancy, static film set in comparison. GTA VI actually uses the computing performance to create a lively world. That's Next gen to me.

Couldn't care less about Path tracing. Cyberpunk 2077 is full of it, but it still feels like a fancy, static film set in comparison. GTA VI actually uses the computing performance to create a lively world. That's Next gen to me.
GTA creates the illusion of a lively world but, it’s not really alive. It scripts events around the player to make the world seem real yet the general interaction is very lacklustre. The only real interaction in the world outside the scripted events is the interaction with their police system. Getting you wanted level up and what not. As GTA has progressed, the design has become more rigid and less flexible with GTA 5 being by far the worst. If you even step out of their prescribed path for any mission, it automatically fails you. It actively punishes creativity.

The game mechanics are not great with one of the worst combat systems in a triple a game. You can do a lot of things in GTA but it does none of them exceptionally. You can drive a car but the driving model isn’t great. You engage in fist fights but the hand to hand combat system isn’t great. I could go on and on. The best thing about Rockstar is that they create large worlds with great attention to detail. The worst thing about Rockstar games is that the gameplay is usually a slog and the story has to carry hard. It’s been over a decade since max Payne 3, the last rockstar game with good gameplay. GTA 5, rdr2, etc, just mediocre gameplay. I played a lot of gta 5 offline and own it on pc & ps5. I just hope rockstar steps their game up in the gameplay department because their last 2 games were serious misses as it relates to gameplay. It took me 3 tries just to beat rdr 2 because of their boring whack-a-mole combat and sluggish character movement.

Boy that's one slippery slope. It's hard to know what to expect but what I saw didn't wow. What I do know is that it looks cross gen to me. The technology appears to be very rooted in the ps4/xb1 era and be of that time period. Nothing wrong with that as long as the game is enjoyable. it just doesn't wow me visually. I mean, this hardly surprising. I wasn't wowed by Alan Wake and if I wasn't wowed by that, there was a sub-zero chance that I'd be wowed by GTA.
And as the progression of graphics tech is incremental, nothing is likely to wow you because it's just one small step ahead of the previous thing. Huge, generational wow moments will probably not happen again. Of the things I've seen that have been that far ahead, the sort of night-and-day difference between a PS3 exclusive and a PS2*, they've only been shown WIP and haven't launched yet and will likely need way more power than a console to pull off.

One thing I've personally noticed is whenever I feel a game is not much different from the previous generations, I fire up a video of previous generations and see just how much simpler games were! This is fairly typical of the "it looks like a PS2 game" comments. But 10x the geometry just means a few less angles on the models.

As this is a technical discussion, unless someone can bring in actual technical arguments about what a 'next-gen' game needs, we should end this discussion with "I feel this..." and leave it at that, as the ongoing discussion is not in any way relevant to this thread.

* Edit - I'll add that I thought the Matrix UE5 demo clearly next-gen.

Last edited:
That's a funny statement given that, currently, CP2077 is a fully interactive game while GTAVI is just a 90 second movie. A movie full of cinematics, at that.
his is fairly typical of the "it looks like a PS2 game" comments. But 10x the geometry just means a few less angles on the models.
10x the geometry, but the difference between 480i and 1080p is 12x the pixels per frame. The lower pixel counts allow people to imagine additional detail.

That's a funny statement given that, currently, CP2077 is a fully interactive game while GTAVI is just a 90 second movie. A movie full of cinematics, at that.

10x the geometry, but the difference between 480i and 1080p is 12x the pixels per frame. The lower pixel counts allow people to imagine additional detail.
It is hardly an unsafe assumption that GTAVI will be an incredibly lively game in terms of physical interactions man. With that in mind, how did your response really make any sense? It's like suggesting we cant say the next Forza Horizon game will be a racing game simply because it isn't out yet.

And I seriously cannot grasp the people here saying they aren't impressed with this trailer. I just really, god honest, cant understand it. It's so bewildering to me I cant accept any explanation that isn't just, "They're not being honest". Maybe it's contrarianism, maybe it's people who dont like the idea of CP2077 getting outclassed, I dont know, but nobody who says they are tech/graphics enthusiasts can say that trailer wasn't a wow moment. That is one thoroughly next gen looking next gen title. It's just so bizarre to see on a forum like this of all places.

It is hardly an unsafe assumption that GTAVI will be an incredibly lively game in terms of physical interactions man. With that in mind, how did your response really make any sense? It's like suggesting we cant say the next Forza Horizon game will be a racing game simply because it isn't out yet.

And I seriously cannot grasp the people here saying they aren't impressed with this trailer. I just really, god honest, cant understand it. It's so bewildering to me I cant accept any explanation that isn't just, "They're not being honest". Maybe it's contrarianism, maybe it's people who dont like the idea of CP2077 getting outclassed, I dont know, but nobody who says they are tech/graphics enthusiasts can say that trailer wasn't a wow moment. That is one thoroughly next gen looking next gen title. It's just so bizarre to see on a forum like this of all places.

I agree 100%.

Not a bad trailer at all, but a 2025 release? Yikes! Rockstar have not hit a release year announcement since GTA San Andreas. If this ships in 2026, I would be amazed. At least this lets me mentally put this on the back burner for a couple of years.

GTA IV was announced for 2007 and released in 2008, GTA V was announced for 2012 and arrived in 2013 Red Dead Redemption 2 was announced for 2017 and slipped to 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back