Xbox Showcase 2023 (June 11th)

Why ? Even sony had a prerendered trailer with marathon

I was being a bit silly, clearly, but they're so desperately dull. I'd honestly prefer a demo through a whiteboxed level with some half finish character assets.

I would say, the Marathon trailer almost gets away with it just by the virtue of being so damned stylish. Would have been great as a realtime trailer.

Last edited:
I think it's fair to say, we all think MS should aim for a higher bar than what Sony accomplished.
I mean they already have a 30 minute or so game play showcase of their major fall release right after the show. I think that is already a higher bar.
I was been a bit silly, clearly, but they're so desperately dull. I'd honestly prefer a demo through a whiteboxed level with some half finish character assets.

I would say, the Marathon trailer almost gets away with it just by the virtue of being so damned stylish. Would have been great as a realtime trailer.
While it would have been interesting to see in today's world fanboys would have bashed the game to no end. They are already bashing spiderman on both sides of the fanboy spectrum.

Sometimes a simple cgi trailer giving a glimpse at what the game style will be is good enough

I mean they already have a 30 minute or so game play showcase of their major fall release right after the show. I think that is already a higher bar.
I agree, it's just us being silly. The reality is, they have a chance to convert here, and they really need it for this generation to finally 'get' going. The message I'm looking for from Xbox is that, we're done with last gen. Because that's all people have been buying series consoles for since its release; cross gen, third party releases, and to upgrade older titles.
They need something fresh and exciting. It's their year to lose.

I agree, it's just us being silly. The reality is, they have a chance to convert here, and they really need it for this generation to finally 'get' going. The message I'm looking for from Xbox is that, we're done with last gen. Because that's all people have been buying series consoles for since its release; cross gen, third party releases, and to upgrade older titles.
They need something fresh and exciting. It's their year to lose.
I posted about it before but if you look at the developers MS bought in 2017-2019 they are all due for new releases. Even with the 2020 announcements a few should be ready to be shown off more publicly. So I think with that and a few new announcements they will be in great shape

I posted about it before but if you look at the developers MS bought in 2017-2019 they are all due for new releases. Even with the 2020 announcements a few should be ready to be shown off more publicly. So I think with that and a few new announcements they will be in great shape
Precisely. They should be all due to show something. And I think that is the underlying expectation.

I like these guys.
Even if not true, they are among the few white collars that look human.

D8lONYZU0AA0cJl

Please note the YouTube.com/Xbox and YouTube.com/Bethesda streams will be in 4K at 60fps, while all other channels will be 1080p / 60fps.
Really... I'm half expecting it's a typo and they mean will be that afterwards 😂

As for the no cgi, they should have enough games far enough into development not to have to do that. Let's just hope they are far enough to look good.
Development timeliness seems to have gone crazy long.

Updated first post to contain showcase information on where/when/how to watch.

Great news, I don't care so much on third party stuff but I really want to see what some of the games from ms look like
Good , Show off the next few years of games. I think MS is going to be juggling release dates anyway. After redfall I am sure they are checking every single game to see its state and what it has to have done to get it into the best possible postion for release.

I'm hearing price drops are on the board for xbox this year. not sure if it will be at the showcase, more likely in time for the holiday . Heard $70 on the series S and new sku for either this holiday or early next year for the series x with no optical drive at $400 with 1TB while the disc version goes to TB.

I'm hearing price drops are on the board for xbox this year. not sure if it will be at the showcase, more likely in time for the holiday . Heard $70 on the series S and new sku for either this holiday or early next year for the series x with no optical drive at $400 with 1TB while the disc version goes to TB.
Where are you 'hearing' that? :/

Series S is already supposed to basically be a large loss leader for Xbox, so dropping price another $70 seems pretty rough. A disc-less XSX could make some sense, but at $400 I think it really does require that Series S discount, or else the difference between a $300 Series S and $400 Series X makes the Series X a no-brainer choice.

I think it might make more sense for Series S to increase to 1TB storage as the new default spec at the same current price. Improves on a console that is still selling well, without having to take further drastic hits on margins for little benefit in sales. Storage is super cheap right now.

Series S is already supposed to basically be a large loss leader for Xbox, so dropping price another $70 seems pretty rough. A disc-less XSX could make some sense, but at $400 I think it really does require that Series S discount, or else the difference between a $300 Series S and $400 Series X makes the Series X a no-brainer choice.

I think it might make more sense for Series S to increase to 1TB storage as the new default spec at the same current price. Improves on a console that is still selling well, without having to take further drastic hits on margins for little benefit in sales. Storage is super cheap right now.
If I was guessing at ways to increase the popularity/value proposition of the Series S, I would increase the storage or an optical drive. Both Series consoles could also upgrade the USB speeds if they are doing a hardware revision.

If we're going purely by his rumor, then it's a 229 USD XBS-S versus a 399 USD discless XBS-X. If we're not going by his rumors then it's still a 299 USD XBS-S versus a 499 USD XBS-X. :p

No comment on whether his rumor will happen or not. I could certainly see them subsidizing further in order to try to expand the user base. 229 is starting to get close to impulse buy territory and/or almost no-brainer grandparents picking up something for the grandkids territory. Not sure it's worth it or not if they are choosing a large subsidy for it.

Regards,
SB

If we're going purely by his rumor, then it's a 229 USD XBS-S versus a 399 USD discless XBS-X. If we're not going by his rumors then it's still a 299 USD XBS-S versus a 499 USD XBS-X. :p

No comment on whether his rumor will happen or not. I could certainly see them subsidizing further in order to try to expand the user base. 229 is starting to get close to impulse buy territory and/or almost no-brainer grandparents picking up something for the grandkids territory. Not sure it's worth it or not if they are choosing a large subsidy for it.

Regards,
SB
$199 is the magic number. I think if they have a successful event in June to generate some demand, they don't need to go that low.

If it was slimmer I could really go for a diskless XSX. That doesn't seem to be how people roll with diskless skus though.

Back