All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you only count Nintendo "high performance consoles" they haven't even released any consoles in the last 20 years.

Yup, we all know that Sony foreclosed Nintendo's ability to compete in the "high performance console" market when they "incentivized" Square-Enix to not release Final Fantasy games on Nintendo consoles starting with the N64. :p I mean it wasn't like the IP got it's start on Nintendo consoles and was a staple of Nintendo consoles until the N64.

The loss of that IP and a few others to Nintendo's home consoles obviously meant that Nintendo could no longer compete in the "high performance console" market and thus Nintendo are now irrelevant to console gaming. :p

Please note that this is all a bit tongue in cheek before someone gets offended. :)

Regards,
SB

Look at the sales trends.
Numbers, yes. I read them on the Wikipedia article. My question stands, are you the arbiter of what is a sales bomb?

If you only count Nintendo "high performance consoles" they haven't even released any consoles in the last 20 years.

This is an emerging theme of ignoring one of the consoles depending on the argument you are truing to present. I've seen Nintendo consoles dismissed in other discussions because of this same reason, i.e. it's not 'high performance'. Today in a discussion about home consoles in Japan where it's stated the Wii did not sell well, the Xbox has been dismissed because it sells even worse. :???:

If in a discussion about consoles, you have to remove one of three console manufacturers to make a point, that point is on shaky ground.

This is an emerging theme of ignoring one of the consoles depending on the argument you are truing to present. I've seen Nintendo consoles dismissed in other discussions because of this same reason, i.e. it's not 'high performance'. Today in a discussion about home consoles in Japan where it's stated the Wii did not sell well, the Xbox has been dismissed because it sells even worse. :???:

If in a discussion about consoles, you have to remove one of three console manufacturers to make a point, that point is on shaky ground.

Yup. In this case it's better to frame it in the context of both historical sales of X companies consoles or general trends in the market. For Japan in particular non-portable consoles have been on a declining sales trend for a while now.

We can first start with a console that has seen relatively stable performance except the blip that was the PS3.
  • PS1 - 21.59 million units
  • PS2 - 23.18 million units
  • PS3 - 10.47 million units
  • PS4 - 9.59 million units
Here we can see the PS3 take a much more drastic dip than say going from the PS3 to the PS4. IMO, had Sony executed well on the PS3, then I'd estimate sales for it in Japan likely would have been in the 14-18 million unit range. But regardless a declining trend since the PS2. Another thing to note is that the PS2 didn't see as much of a jump from the PS1 in Japan as it did in the rest of the world.
  • PS1 to PS2 in Japan: ~7.4% increase
  • PS1 to PS2 WW: ~54.8% increase
And it's the only region where PS4 didn't increase sales compared to PS3, despite PS3's rather anomalous decline compared to past PlayStation consoles.

However if we look at Nintendo home consoles.
  • NES - 19.35 million units
  • SNES - 17.17 million units - the last Nintendo Home Console to get a Final Fantasy release.
  • N64 - 5.54 million units
  • GC - 4.04 million units
  • Wii - 12.77 million units
  • Wii U - 3.33 million units
Ouch that drop at N64! For Nintendo, the Wii was a success in Japan despite a general trend downwards for home consoles in that country. And more importantly it was a huge success for Nintendo when looking at the trend of past Nintendo home console sales.

And if people were to dig further into the numbers, and the environment within which they were happening, it wasn't that Japan was growing tired of console gaming, but that it was suffering from a worsening economy combined with one of the highest costs of living in the world. Getting a portable console is generally cheaper than getting a home console. That immediately tilts things in favor of portable consoles in Japan. It also doesn't hurt that it's not as at much of a disadvantage versus mobile gaming on phones as it can still be brought with you on the long commutes to work and/or school.

Of course, here comes Nintendo to confuse things as the NSW is both a Home Console as well as a Portable Console. So, going forward would it even make sense to continue to think of them as separate markets? Yes and no. They are still 2 quite distinct markets, but you can't attribute sales of NSW to either portable or home console ... it's just a console that straddles both markets and in a way homogenizes them in a way that no other console can. Thus the NSW, unlike their competition from Sony and Microsoft can flourish in both portable console markets (Japan, for example) and non-portable console markets.

Regards,
SB

From a quick gander, they're still more expensive than a Series S. That's my main complaint about it.
Whilst it doesn't matter to the paying customer, we that this is case only because Microsoft are making a $100 or $200 loss on each hardware unit sold.

Whilst it doesn't matter to the paying customer, we that this is case only because Microsoft are making a $100 or $200 loss on each hardware unit sold.
We've talked about this before, but we don't know if that statement was actually about current hardware or about prior business approaches.

We've talked about this before, but we don't know if that statement was actually about current hardware or about prior business approaches.
I don't remember talking about this before, so that might have be a dream. Phil Spencer used current tense language, so why do we think he was talking about things in the past? Are you doubting his grasp of English?

Phil Spencer said:
"When somebody goes and they buy an Xbox at their local retailer, we're subsidizing that purchase somewhere between 100 and 200 dollars with the expectation that we will recoup that investment over time through accessory sales and storefront"

He spoke about things in the past including GamePass, and GamePass in the present and probable price hikes in the future but holding price for the holidays. He uses the appropriate tenses as you would expect from somebody with his education - he holds a bachelor's degree in technical and scientific communication from the University of Washington. Even if he had misspoke, GameSpot sought clarification and the response provided by Microsoft was in the current tense.

When Jim Ryan supposedly said the following
t “When we consider Game Pass, it seems to be getting lower [Game Pass numbers]. When we consider Game Pass, we’ve sold more PS5’s in two years than they have gathered subscribers and they’ve been doing that for 6-7 years.”
I thought he made news because GamePass was said at the time to be 29 Million subscribers.
Then he went on to say
“We’re just shy of 50 million subscribers and they are in the low 20s, but there’s more work to do to grow that number”.
figured that he just was using old numbers. It might be that was really news an no one caught it.

Verge article

If it is, I expect to see the gap between PS5 and XBS consoles start to widen rather than narrow (as it has over the past year).

Good timing for Sony as the effects shouldn't be really noticeable until after the EU and CMA make their decision on the ABK acquisition. I'm sure XBS consoles narrowing the gap with PS5 didn't hurt Sony's case that they would no longer be able to compete if MS acquires ABK.

Regards,
SB

PS5 at 30 Million
It feels like Sony were stockpiling for xmas in some regions because it was only 1 November when Sony announced 25m sold. 5m in two months is quite a jump. The UK has been awash with PS5 stock for months now but this still feels like an outlier.

I don't know about that. Shortage is not over in France (available consoles do not last long online) and some others European continental countries. They are still favoring US and UK markets.
I believe this is due to the fact that all the consumers that would have bought a PS5 throughout the course of its life to date and dont have one, are rushing to buy whatever stock is available right now.
There are order queues that have not been met for more than a year.

If PS5 stock is improving I'd assume Xbox stock will also improve? Their chips come from the same place after all

If PS5 stock is improving I'd assume Xbox stock will also improve? Their chips come from the same place after all
There may not be a correlation, it depends on the cause of the increased production. This boost may be from 6nm line capacity Sony bought for the newer PS5 design that appeared around September. Did Xbox Series migrate to 6nm as well?, did Microsoft buy line space? Maybe if Sony no longer need 7nm line space and Microsoft took it, but maybe somebody else took it.

There are unknowns, but it should be clear by the end of January or February at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back