GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

GTA V settings for HDR are wrong, so here's how to best set them.

I'm not sure GTA V is wrong. The guy stands in one spot in the city, which is full of light-coloured concrete, during what looks like the middle of the day (no shadows being casting) and is surprised that light-coloured concrete reflects a lot of light. Isn't that how light works?

This feels like going skiing and complaining you need sunglasses because the snow reflects a lot of light.

I'm not sure GTA V is wrong. The guy stands in one spot in the city, which is full of light-coloured concrete, during what looks like the middle of the day (no shadows being casting) and is surprised that light-coloured concrete reflects a lot of light. Isn't that how light works?

This feels like going skiing and complaining you need sunglasses because the snow reflects a lot of light.
For oled setting is not optimal.

Having near 200nits brightness on large areas when TV cannot sustain those brightness levels.
Sustained 50% screen is around 250 nits on new oleds.

Reducing paperwhite closer to LDR range, gives oled chance to actually display highlights at closer to proper range.

For snow scene oleds are just bad, as sustained brightness for 100% screen is around 150nits, so around where LDR is mastered to.

I get this. But redoing the dynamic range because there are some scenes which are incredibly bright is not really fixing the problem.
Moreso to the point, what we're actually calling out is OLEDs that can't actually keep up with a proper HDR scene.

If "max brightness" means the whole display has to go dim, the problem isn't with the app. I recognize the response will end up being "but there's so few OLEDs that can actually do what you're asking Alby, and those are super expensive!!" Yeah, that's because prior ones marketed as HDR weren't really, and ya got suckered into buying one because what you hoped was true wasn't really...

My statement will hurt feelings, it doesn't make my statement factually incorrect.

Moreso to the point, what we're actually calling out is OLEDs that can't actually keep up with a proper HDR scene.

If "max brightness" means the whole display has to go dim, the problem isn't with the app. I recognize the response will end up being "but there's so few OLEDs that can actually do what you're asking Alby, and those are super expensive!!" Yeah, that's because prior ones marketed as HDR weren't really, and ya got suckered into buying one because what you hoped was true wasn't really...

My statement will hurt feelings, it doesn't make my statement factually incorrect.
I read a shitload of reviews before I purchased my B9 and I have to say, I feel that the reviews were not covering at all some of the prominent disadvantages of my TV.
Not even sure if the HDR is working properly. And the perfect blacks are not perfect blacks when I follow the guidelines from different experts. For example when in HDR setting my PS5 to Full RGB range or Automatic and on TV I set Black Level to Low, I get black crashes. If I set black level to high to eliminate the black crashes, I get grey blacks. What gives?
Is there something I am missing?

I read a shitload of reviews before I purchased my B9 and I have to say, I feel that the reviews were not covering at all some of the prominent disadvantages of my TV.
Not even sure if the HDR is working properly. And the perfect blacks are not perfect blacks when I follow the guidelines from different experts. For example when in HDR setting my PS5 to Full RGB range or Automatic and on TV I set Black Level to Low, I get black crashes. If I set black level to high to eliminate the black crashes, I get grey blacks. What gives?
Is there something I am missing?
You should leave black levels on automatic on both console and tv and they should look as intended. Problem is, a lot of HDR implementations, specially on games, are lackluster.

You should leave black levels on automatic on both console and tv and they should look as intended. Problem is, a lot of HDR implementations, specially on games, are lackluster.
There is no automatic on the B9 model. It has only two options. Low and High.

There is no automatic on the B9 model. It has only two options. Low and High.
I have a B9, it does. I'm guessing you have the inputs set to Game instead of PC, that's why it doesn't show you the option. Maybe you didn't follow the "correct" experts, because I believe most if not all guidelines from gaming enthusiasts should have recommended setting the HDMI input to PC for better accuracy and minimal input latency.

Last edited:
I have a B9, it does. I'm guessing you have the inputs set to Game instead of PC, that's why it doesn't show you the option. Maybe you didn't follow the "correct" experts, because I believe most if not all guidelines from gaming enthusiasts should have recommended setting the HDMI input to PC for better accuracy and minimal input latency.
Yeah I have it on game not PC!! I never considered that one! Did you follow a specific tutorial for that?

Update: I now changed it to PC Mode and Auto for Black level is enabled. The darks look very dark but havent checked much so cant comment yet on the image quality. But one thing I noticed. I tried Tekken 7 just to check....the responsiveness increased immensely! I dont even understand the point of Game Mode when PC mode is super responsive. Its like playing on a PC monitor. The difference in responsiveness is just too much to not notice! Its a game changer

Last edited:
Calibration is a must for these OLEDs. I've owned 4 so far and all have had different out of the box performance. Most crushing midtones and lifting blacks slightly. One model crushed everything in the low end and over brightened the high end. Calibrating in HDR w these displays is also very challenging as the panel heats up while displaying test patterns.

Yeah I have it on game not PC!! I never considered that one! Did you follow a specific tutorial for that?

Update: I now changed it to PC Mode and Auto for Black level is enabled. The darks look very dark but havent checked much so cant comment yet on the image quality. But one thing I noticed. I tried Tekken 7 just to check....the responsiveness increased immensely! I dont even understand the point of Game Mode when PC mode is super responsive. Its like playing on a PC monitor. The difference in responsiveness is just too much to not notice! Its a game changer
As others have posted here, HDTV's Vincent Teoh is one of the best you can follow. He has specific settings for each console, you can use his guides for other LG Oleds as a reference. But really IMO you only need to sure that: Picture mode is on "Game", turn every dynamic setting to off (contrast, tonemapping, etc), Peak brightness on "High", max OLED light. People say that the correct white point is Warm 2 but I think its more up to the user. Personally I use Warm 1, but I used to have it on neutral.

Sometimes if the image is to contrasty and the darks look crushed, its best to use the game's brightness slider if available.

All of the above is of course, just my experience and opinion, your mileage may vary, etc etc.

Back