Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS5 BC with internal SSD vs PS5 native with internal SSD (the latter are 10x faster).
yeah I thought that there was xsx tests but didn't know nioh2 is not on xbox platform, edit: now curious what are loading times on pc with ssd

Last edited:
So i just watched nx video and he is saying that the XSX has actually slight advantage during the gameplay? @12:15 Shame that is plagued by this cpu/io/bug drops. I am wondering in photomode is fps unlocked or capped at 60? Seems like in many cases xsx is flat 60 but never a single frame above?
It is unlocked but still tripple buffer VSYNCed to output at 60Hz. So It is capped @60fps.
Like with so many games, that reach 60. It could go higher, but above that, VRR would really be necessary.

Such a small difference of clocks (3.66ghz vs 3.5ghz) is negligible.
Well it's still an advantage to XSX so unsure why something affecting XSX due to CPU won't affect the PS5 which has essentially the same CPU...

Most importantly Sony have designed the PS5 with one focus in mind: low latencies for high framerates for notably VR gaming (60fps and 120fps). We'll know more about it when we'll have an API die shot but some have hypothetized the PS5 CPU has a unified L3 cache. We also have a former PS5 software engineer who was strongly implying the same thing.

Red gaming Tech claims he has sources who told him about the unified L3 cache. He previously leaked the Infinite cache on RDNA2 GPUs. A CPU with 1 CCX (PS5) vs 2CCX (on XSX) would easily explain the advantage on PS5 in some scenes (I/O streaming limited by CPU and 120hz modes). Finally PS5 uses different (and better) GDDR6 chips, maybe with lower latencies.
...ah ok, well there may be other surprises - but this is complete rumour at this stage

Edit - thought I'd also mention MS are talking about higher framerates more than Sony - more 120fps titles etc.

the blurry reflection looks bad, look at the top 3 lights reflected, you will see sharp edges! So one would assume the reflection of the face would also also be sharp
If you look at the ps5 image it has a sharp reflection of the persons face (plus theres an extra blurry face whatever thats meant to be?), the PC & xbox seem to only show the lit blurry face, so for some reason its missing the real sharl reflections.

One would assume the PC version was the most correct version, but it seems buggy, actually all 3 seem to display errors
The PC version does have the sharp reflection there - it is just that the transparent surface of the glass is but a few centimetres away from the surface of the bronze behind it. That makes it so the reflections are very close to eachother spatially from that degree angle of view. The playstation 5 version for some reason offsets the reflection there in a way that is rather physically implausible.

Well it's still an advantage to XSX so unsure why something affecting XSX due to CPU won't affect the PS5 which has essentially the same CPU...
in nxgamer video he suggests superior io design of ps5 making cpu less loaded in specific cases with streaming data

The PC version does have the sharp reflection there - it is just that the transparent surface of the glass is but a few centimetres away from the surface of the bronze behind it. That makes it so the reflections are very close to eachother spatially from that degree angle of view. The playstation 5 version for some reason offsets the reflection there in a way that is rather physically implausible.

I'm unsure how that can be - if RT is a system which does the calculations based on the objects, how can it be 'implausible' and how can 3 versions vary like this?

Genuine question - it's just my understanding of how RT works. I get bugs etc (like the XSX example) but not this...

in nxgamer video he suggests superior io design of ps5 making cpu less loaded in specific cases with streaming data
Yes (and I agree), but others are saying it's the CPU - not the IO...if the IO isn't helping the CPU your point doesn't work.

Edit - I re-read @Globalisateur comments, he's saying CPU because it's helped out by not have to do the IO tasks, therefore he's saying it's the IO on PS5 which is making it run better in gameplay.

The main question is this, does the CPU have anything else that's helping it outperform the XSX CPU or is the IO helping 'lower the load' on CPU which is in turn helping the CPU out perform the XSX CPU.

Last edited:

Can you point me when in the video he mentions "superior io design"? And also "superior" to what? Pc ssd setup or xsx direct storage?

Can you point me when in the video he mentions "superior io design"? And also "superior" to what? Pc ssd setup or xsx direct storage?
he doesn't use superior word, but you can heard his io advantage suggestions in 8:50 - 9:15 and 14:06-15:30

The playstation 5 version for some reason offsets the reflection there in a way that is rather physically implausible.
Yes thats true on the PS5 the 2nd reflective blurry surface looks a long way away, 20cm or so
but it doesnt explain why on the PC the lights reflections have super sharp edges (very defined) yet the person is super blurry.
Maybe they done DOF on the mirror! :)

OK found the video from where the images came from

xbox having major problems 3:48 to 4:00
yes it looks like the ps5 has the gold reflection at the wrong depth

Last edited:
he doesn't use superior word, but you can heard his io advantage suggestions in 8:50 - 9:15 and 14:06-15:30

yes he mentions that ps5 can shuffle stuff from ram without involving cpu and similar technology is available on xsx (and coming to pc as well) called direct storage. Xsx is most probably straight forward PC version without any direct storage implementation, he never mention once "superior io design"

I'm unsure how that can be - if RT is a system which does the calculations based on the objects, how can it be 'implausible' and how can 3 versions vary like this?

Genuine question - it's just my understanding of how RT works. I get bugs etc (like the XSX example) but not this...
This is sort of the issue explained:
DBvhXu6.png

The PC and XSX versions are the same. The black circle is where Jessie should be standing. The diffuse and mirror reflections are based off the black circle for PC and XSX. For PS5 the black circle is for the diffuse reflection, the red circle for the glass reflection. And I agree, it's physically implausible to have that level of separation of the glass and wall reflection unless they are _much_ further apart as per the diagram.

Not sure how PS5 got the red circle, except they may have messed up a calculation on limiting the angle allowed back to the camera. ie. it's a bug in their RT algorithm. They just need to go back and figure out where those rays are being traced to I think. Seems like they traced the angle to a camera that doesn't exist, and forced it back onto the actual player camera. I dunno, that's what it looks like to me.

yes he mentions that ps5 can shuffle stuff from ram without involving cpu and similar technology is available on xsx (and coming to pc as well) called direct storage. Xsx is most probably straight forward PC version without any direct storage implementation, he never mention once "superior io design"
"its great example how this two consoles actualy differ, (...) you can lose 16% maybe 20% in rt mode on ps5 but you can lose exactly the same 16-20% in this point where its loading data..." so clearly he suggests ps5 advatnage in io aspects and theory that xsx has as good called dirrect storage but simply not used as its only pc port is your theory (not saying its not true) not nxgamer ;)

Yes (and I agree), but others are saying it's the CPU - not the IO...if the IO isn't helping the CPU your point doesn't work.

Edit - I re-read @Globalisateur comments, he's saying CPU because it's helped out by not have to do the IO tasks, therefore he's saying it's the IO on PS5 which is making it run better in gameplay.

The main question is this, does the CPU have anything else that's helping it outperform the XSX CPU or is the IO helping 'lower the load' on CPU which is in turn helping the CPU out perform the XSX CPU.
They run completely different APIs' and different development kits.

If the XSX version is a complete port of PC, ie: very little done to change it; then back when PC was made they were only going to target a handful of CPU cores for multi-tasking/offloading cores to do work. Typically back then 4 cores with 4 threads was sufficient. (Corei5); and they likely developed the entire PC game around this number. So this is a consideration here. The Control CPU graphs don't look nearly as pretty as the Tomb Raider ones for instance.
with PS5 version, they could have fully stretched it's legs to utilize all 8 cores.
29190848323l.jpg

ie barely a difference on the 1% until it drops to the 2-Core, 4 Thread.
So what good will moving to 8 core 16 thread be if they didn't re-write it for XSX. And I do wonder if those 1% nose dives are I/O issues. I mean, we haven't even gotten to optimizing the IO to leverage the SSD instead of a typical hard drive which is a completely different factor and could save tons of memory footprint if they lowered the texture footprint on memory and relied on the SSD to stream in. But hard to tell from this graph, will need to find others. We don't know what they did and didn't do. There's so much conjecture anything can be the issue.

Even then, assuming they tried to stretch their legs for PS5 and XSX, doesn't mean XSX kit handles multicore jobs very well yet.

There's a lot of issues at the software level I would look at for these types of IO/ CPU stutters. I don't think it's nearly as straightforward as not having enough power. Sure the issue can be brute forced to be solved, but there's not much of a discussion there to say XSX is bottlenecked if it's only been programmed to use less CPU cores that PS5 is using. That's just cutting corners to save time and money. They'll need to work it out. I think the issue is solvable provided it's not an API problem.

Last edited:
The game isnt particularly cpu limited on PC and the difference in photomode fps is big. I'll eat my hat if the xbox isnt running at least like ~5 fps better on average in game mode, the whole "with the very similar cpus out of the picture theres no conclusions we can draw from this test in a mostly gpu bound game" theory is incredibly silly.

That said, it's purely academic: remedy felt neither system performed well enough to warrant a 60fps cap, so they run at 30. For remedy's purposes and this game, the consoles are effectively the same in practice. (But the xbox has those hitches, which I'm sure would exist whether it was averaging 29fps or 45fps)

This is sort of the issue explained:
DBvhXu6.png

The PC and XSX versions are the same. The black circle is where Jessie should be standing. The diffuse and mirror reflections are based off the black circle for PC and XSX. For PS5 the black circle is for the diffuse reflection, the red circle for the glass reflection. And I agree, it's physically implausible to have that level of separation of the glass and wall reflection unless they are _much_ further apart as per the diagram.

Not sure how PS5 got the red circle, except they may have messed up a calculation on limiting the angle allowed back to the camera. ie. it's a bug in their RT algorithm. They just need to go back and figure out where those rays are being traced to I think. Seems like they traced the angle to a camera that doesn't exist, and forced it back onto the actual player camera. I dunno, that's what it looks like to me.

Yes, thanks - that was the point I was trying to make - more "how can it render it wrongly - because it supposed to be automated".

For example, in graphics mode we know why something might not look right because it's been manually created, but here we have algorithms that should do it all with extreme precision but it's actually 'accurately' out (if that makes sense)...it's like the PS5 RT 'thinks' the glass is closer than it actually is, but it's just for that one segment of glass - all the others reflect correctly...very odd!?

"its great example how this two consoles actualy differ, (...) you can lose 16% maybe 20% in rt mode on ps5 but you can lose exactly the same 16-20% in this point where its loading data..." so clearly he suggests ps5 advatnage in io aspects and theory that xsx has as good called dirrect storage but simply not used as its only pc port is your theory (not saying its not true) not nxgamer ;)

When i was i kid and lived in communist Poland there was a news radio program, one day news come that in Russia on red square they are giving away Mercedes cars for free. Few hours later there was correction to that news, that yes in fact in Russia on red square but not giving away but stealing and not mercedes but bikes. What i am trying to say is since we dont know what and how there is no need to call something superior at this stage.

There's a lot of issues at the software level I would look at for these types of IO/ CPU stutters. I don't think it's nearly as straightforward as not having enough power. Sure the issue can be brute forced to be solved, but there's not much of a discussion there to say XSX is bottlenecked if it's only been programmed to use less CPU cores that PS5 is using. That's just cutting corners to save time and money. They'll need to work it out. I think the issue is solvable provided it's not an API problem.

Yup! Any outright weird behavior is almost always going to be a software issue first, hardware issue second. Your game suddenly hitching and dropping several frames on a modern machine, even a low end one, isn't, usually, because its not powerful enough.

a lot of the posters on this page are console warriors so I want to mention the upside here for sony is huge: why have ps5 games consistently seemed to come out the door in better shape so far? Clearly Sony is doing something (very important!) right.

It's just probably not some super mega powerful hardware secret sauce that's just eating up a several frame hitch that would occur on another high end cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back