Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It maybe for personal or artistic reasons, but this particular set of photos is what I see if you hold an object at an angle in glass, you get a reflection that isn't aligned with the image that's being reflected. The PS5 alignment (at least in these set of photos) are quite accurate from a real-world perspective.
The PS5 image is shifted to the left, way to the left or rather, it's reflecting from within the glass. It's incorrect.

Are we talking specifically about the firearm? If so, then the reflection is quite right of real-world angle.
Look carefully at the wrist, the wrist and knuckles are well 'through' the glass on PS5.
If you compare them to PC and XSX, you and see the fingers grasping the trigger and the reflection from the gun tip all originating from the same point.

Look carefully at the wrist, the wrist and knuckles are well 'through' the glass on PS5.
If you compare them to PC and XSX, you and see the fingers grasping the trigger and the reflection from the gun tip all originating from the same point.

I see what you are saying, but I'm telling you it's not accurate from a real-world perspective. I'm holding a certain item at that perceived angle in the photo, and the reflection is closer to PS5 image.

Also, I don't want to turn this into a PS5 vs. XBSX battle or something looking like fanboy-ism. So, I will end it at... if the XBSX has the correct reflection in those particular shots, then it's correct.

Reactions: snc
technically I feel like they sort of feel all wrong if you are using your own eyes. It really comes down to where that camera is being traced from. You can't use your own eyes really as a measurement tool for where the rays are being traced back into the camera. The camera sits way far behind you and to the right.

Your eyes will always line up with the gun at an arms distance, you'll never be able to actually get this reflection using your own eyes.

@iroboto @cwjs I will add that the performance hit was not as bad in all scenes. In most areas of the game I was well over 110 fps with a 3080 and everything max out at 1080p. There were just certain areas where my frame times would drop dramatically and gpu utilization would be very low. I'd guess it has something to do with scene complexity in building the bvh. CPU performance can tank because of memory accesses, but if someone wants to investigate the difference between RAM timings in similar scene they can do that. Way too much work for me. I tried to use nsight, but control is using some kind of weird d3d11on12 api layer and it doesn't work with nsight. It's not really a native dx12 title.

Here we go:
reflectionsdifference8jkzv.png

Looks like PS5's transparent reflections have some sort of perspective shift on them which causes them to misalign.
Thanks, that's brilliant - and I hope you didn't my comment the wrong way!

What's interesting here is that (whilst the PS5 version you are standing just a little closer than the others) they all look a little off (PS5 most definitely moreso) - but also the PS5 glass seems less transparent...compare the desk and wall you're aiming at - the PS5 seems washed out and lacks detail (but I'm sure it due to the glass effect)

technically I feel like they sort of feel all wrong if you are using your own eyes. It really comes down to where that camera is being traced from. You can't use your own eyes really as a measurement tool for where the rays are being traced back into the camera. The camera sits way far behind you and to the right.

Your eyes will always line up with the gun at an arms distance, you'll never be able to actually get this reflection using your own eyes.

Indeed, you need to stand behind someone at a similar angle to the game...I just tried holding a cup to glass and it's definitely close to the PC/XSX reflections and PS5 is wrong...or should I say implausible ;)

Indeed, you need to stand behind someone at a similar angle to the game...I just tried holding a cup to glass and it's definitely close to the PC/XSX reflections and PS5 is wrong...or should I say implausible ;)
hold on on that. Shortbread could be right.

Let me actually work it out on paper. This doesn't look right etiher.. for all of them.
the plane of reflection looks wrong, I gotta bring out my textbooks, I can work this out.

Btw, with Control on PS5 and Gears 5 on XsX we can really see what a difference packaging can make, if you can expect a SSD in the system.
Control on PS5s native port has around half the footprint on the SSD vs the PS4/xbox/PC version.
Gears 5 is also only half the size of the PC/xbox one version on XsX/S. So it seems those are the first 2 games (at least as far as I know) where you can clearly see a difference how much impact an SSD can make just for packaging the files.

I really don't think it is about compression, because the old consoles had quite good compression techs, just in software. Hardware compression is normally more inefficient than software compression, so I don't think the compression algorithm will change much about the size (vs last gen console games).

Here we go:
reflectionsdifference8jkzv.png

Looks like PS5's transparent reflections have some sort of perspective shift on them which causes them to misalign.
And you did it again :) . You proved that the engine has a small texture streaming issue. This time in the PS5 picture (the "wall" in the background)

Last edited:

I was going to post my image... but then I said to myself, I'm entering into the realm of internet nonsense. So, I'm signing off on this particular conversation on reducing the noise in this topic.

Beyond the gun barrel not lining up with the point of intersection, you can see the butt of the gun (red arrow) being the closest reflection to the point of intersection which shows that the entire reflection plane here on Playstation 5 is shifted and we are seeing the "right-hand" or "end" side of the reflection. Other effects you can see from that is that the reflection of the separating steel between glass planes which is as thick as the Green lines show, has a reflection which is only as thick as the blue lines. The reflection of that is also pushed off and we are seeing the "end" or "right-hand" side of the reflection.
fullpsss53gkcv.png

On XSX the butt of the gun is far away from the point of the intersection, and the point of intersection instead has the barrel there. The Green Lines showing the width of the steel separating the glass planes correspond properly to the width of the reflection of that separating steel (blue lines).
fullxsxwdkzd.png

I see what you are saying, but I'm telling you it's not accurate from a real-world perspective. I'm holding a certain item at that perceived angle in the photo, and the reflection is closer to PS5 image.

Also, I don't want to turn this into a PS5 vs. XBSX battle or something looking like fanboy-ism. So, I will end it at... if the XBSX has the correct reflection in those particular shots, then it's correct.
I don't know, I just did the same thing with my TV remote and a glossy screen. It didn't look just like the PC/Xbox version, but at the angle these shots are at, the glass should be reflecting back at an equal but opposite perspective. The playstation reflection looks lite it's reflecting from the front instead of angled from the side, like maybe they are calculating the reflection angle from the camera instead of the surface. It's a bit tough to say, though, because the angle a a little different in the PS5 screenshot, but it should still be reflecting onto the glass the is on the right side of the camera, but it's only reflecting in the front.

So that we can get the topic back on track, since the XBSX/PC have the same alignment and PS5 is the odd-man out, then XBSX/PC image is correct. No need to drag this out.

Split the difference and call it a day (adjust one -10 and other +10). :LOL:
Might gut instinct right now is that the PC and XSX reflections cannot exist without a second pane, so it's wrong, there is no camera angle that can obtain that reflection without a second reflection. I think Controls RT reflections are pretty bugged.

I can't replicated PS5s reflections either, they look like incorrect angles as PC, but shifted to the left.
This is what I think is happening.
Remedy gotta resolve. I think the PS5 one is same, but shifted left and way deep
rc3QSCP.png

I think the reflection could be correct, but when they rendered out to the texture, they flipped it on the vertical axis or something. Whatever it is, Remedy should address.

Last edited:
Might gut instinct right now is that the PC and XSX reflections cannot exist without a second pane, so it's wrong, there is no camera angle that can obtain that reflection without a second reflection. I think Controls RT reflections are pretty bugged.

I can't replicated PS5s reflections either, they look like incorrect angles as PC, but shifted to the left.
This is what I think is happening.
Remedy gotta resolve. I think the PS5 one is same, but shifted left and way deep
rc3QSCP.png

I think the reflection could be correct, but when they rendered out to the texture, they flipped/mirrored it wrong.

Bugged, yes! Also, your RT reflections shouldn't be showing up (or not showing up at all) seconds later as if they were taking a lunch break.

Great work on the plane.

The pc/xsx reflections are very close to the right angle -- the window is at a fairly steep angle, not straight ahead, you'd expect to see a mirror reflection of whatever is directly away from the window's normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back