Console Exclusives: Significance and Impact *spinoff*

What if you want to see Pacific Rim, but the only way to see it is if you have a 300 USD membership to X theater chain because they have exclusive rights to it? However, you've already paid a 350 USD membership to Y theater chain?

I agree, once you already got your console, exclusive titles from the other platform are far less attractive unless they're able to produce many truly exceptional games .

I could recommend you quite a few on playstation.
giphy.gif

I'm no stranger to PlayStation games, I may not have one but I know a lot of people that do.

I can't stand Uncharted's gameplay and story. TLOU had great story, but IMO, weak gameplay. GoW (not the new one obviously) had great gameplay but a shite story. HZD had good gameplay and story (huge Kudos). David Cage games have interesting stories, but I hate the QTE based gameplay. Etc. etc.

I also dislike open world games in general, so that's already a difficult hill for Sony Studio games to overcome as it seems they are increasingly focusing on open world (not all games, but a lot of them it feels like).

I actually find the non-Sony studios exclusives to be more compelling (Persona 5, Bloodborne).

I understand why people like most of the Sony Studio games a lot more than I do, however. Most of them just aren't for me though.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I'm no stranger to PlayStation games, I may not have one but I know a lot of people that do.

I can't stand Uncharted's gameplay and story. TLOU had great story, but IMO, weak gameplay. GoW (not the new one obviously) had great gameplay but a shite story. HZD had good gameplay and story (huge Kudos). David Cage games have interesting stories, but I hate the QTE based gameplay. Etc. etc.

I also dislike open world games in general, so that's already a difficult hill for Sony Studio games to overcome as it seems they are increasingly focusing on open world (not all games, but a lot of them it feels like).

I actually find the non-Sony studios exclusives to be more compelling (Persona 5, Bloodborne).

Regards,
SB
I am not sure if I get you. Do you own a PS3 and a PS4? Or do you mean you didnt own the previous Playstation consoles?

I am not sure if I get you. Do you own a PS3 and a PS4? Or do you mean you didnt own the previous Playstation consoles?

I owned the PS1 and PS2. Do not own a PS3 or PS4. But I have lots of friends with PS3 and PS4 so I've gotten to play to various extents the exclusives on the platform.

This generation would have been the first generation I did not own a console (until Switch game out) if XBO hadn't launched with Kinect and TV integration. If not for those things I wouldn't have gotten one.

In other words I didn't get a PS3 because I didn't like it. I have nothing against the PS4, other than I just don't like console versions of games in general anymore due to not all of them or even the majority of them supporting 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB

I owned the PS1 and PS2. Do not own a PS3 or PS4. But I have lots of friends with PS3 and PS4 so I've gotten to play to various extents the exclusives on the platform.

This generation would have been the first generation I did not own a console (until Switch game out) if XBO hadn't launched with Kinect and TV integration. If not for those things I wouldn't have gotten one.

In other words I didn't get a PS3 because I didn't like it. I have nothing against the PS4, other than I just don't like console versions of games in general anymore due to not all of them or even the majority of them supporting 60 FPS.

Regards,
SB
Hmm....I wouldnt say that "playing" titles for some "extends" at someone's house can give a proper experience or form a proper opinion about a game. Especially if you are prejudiced
GoW, Uncharted and TLOU were those games that kept the PS3 owners glued to their screen and when they finished they left a unique mark in memory.
A friend of mine who missed those games because he owned a 360, now got a PS4 and their remasters and he said they are some of the best games he ever played ever even though they are previous gen games. He admited he didnt know what he was missing.

Hmm....I wouldnt say that "playing" titles for some "extends" at someone's house can give a proper experience or form a proper opinion about a game. Especially if you are prejudiced
GoW, Uncharted and TLOU were those games that kept the PS3 owners glued to their screen and when they finished they left a unique mark in memory.
A friend of mine who missed those games because he owned a 360, now got a PS4 and their remasters and he said they are some of the best games he ever played ever even though they are previous gen games. He admited he didnt know what he was missing.

I watched TLOU from beginning to end 3 times. I like the story, I hate the main character (because he lies to her at the end). The gameplay is mediocre, IMO. I played various parts of the game to see if at any point the gameplay felt different or changed, it didn't. Hence I had no desire to play through it, but did enjoy watching it for the story.

Uncharted I can't stand the main protagonist. I do not like the story. And I don't like the gameplay. I'm not going to force myself to play though the game if I don't like the game.

GOW3, the gameplay is great, but I thought the story sucked and I hate the main character. I did play though almost the entire game. I didn't finish it though, but have watched someone else finish it.

Just because I don't like a game doesn't mean other people can't like it. Just because other people like a game doesn't mean I have to like it.

Regards,
SB

This is hilarious. WTF.

I'm genuinely curious what you find funny? I understand being amused by my response to your intentional goof before, but this appears to be in response to my response to Nesh.

It's funny that someone doesn't want to play a game that they do not enjoy?

Regards,
SB

This is hilarious. WTF.

I know. Why would anyone argue with someone else that says they dont like something, especially with some statement of you didnt experience it properly. The next statement I expect to see will sound like a parent scolding their kids, "you will eat it [play the game] and like it".

What is so hard for people to understand that others like different things and for different reasons and their tastes can be different from yours.

You are spinning. I said everybody will enjoy whatever they want. They play games they think they'll enjoy, skip the ones they don't think they'll enjoy. Otherwise everybody would have the same library.

What's so difficult in saying "I'm not interested in this game so I can't really comment or compare"?

Making claims of equivalencies is the ridiculous part, it's not even a personal experience. It's dishonest. Nobody would look at a game ending on youtube, or at someone's house, and act as if they played the game. If there was any interest they wouldn't have spoiled it.

Making claims of equivalencies is the ridiculous part, it's not even a personal experience. It's dishonest. Nobody would look at a game ending on youtube, or at someone's house, and act as if they played the game. If there was any interest they wouldn't have spoiled it.

There are some things one doesn't need to experience directly to know they won't like it or it's not for them.

There are some things one doesn't need to experience directly to know they won't like it or it's not for them.
I fully agree. We decide what we buy based on knowing our own tastes. It's a superficial decision we have to make otherwise we would buy everything, it's based on past experiences and trailers, and reviews. But it's not an opinion about the game it's just an interest, an educated guess we hope is correct as often as possible.

Here we have a weird argument about first parties having an impact or not on sales.

Those who are not interested in any first parties they never played are statistically neutral (other factors impact their decision), they don't create some black hole on the console they didn't buy. The whole comparisions of games is a diversion. Whatever their reasons, they are not interested in current and future first parties. Fine! More power to them!

The ones who loved 1P games have an opinion which isn't just an interest based on publicity, or reviews, or prexisting bias, it's a fully reflected opinion about their experience. It impacts sales in the long run, not immediately. The next game from that studio will be a sure day one purchase. And when it's been successes for 10 years, it becomes a massive factor. They can talk about the games because they played them.

No games were exactly what I expected them to be, some sucked, some were better than I imagined, many had surprises, the interractivity is about the decision process and empathic connection, not just the gameplay mechanics or the story treated individually. So I stay clear of commenting about games I haven't played. Because I am not 100% a dick.

No games were exactly what I expected them to be, some sucked, some were better than I imagined, many had surprises, the interractivity is about the decision process and empathic connection, not just the gameplay mechanics or the story treated individually. So I stay clear of commenting about games I haven't played. Because I am not 100% a dick.

I would say that our feelings are often true even if we can have some suprises.

Most of the time, when we think that we won't like something, it is true and inversely.

Obviously, our brain is not perfect, so we can sometimes be wrong.

I appreciate Sony's 1st party efforts and is a substantial reason it is my primary console. They provide high production value and offer gameplay that I find enjoyable. They are the closest to the Sega of yesteryear that we've got, if that makes any sense. It's about releasing consistently good quality games even if they aren't all selling gangbusters. Sony tends to take great care of their games.

Though to be honest after having played all the Uncharted games I can't stand them. I'd rather do without.

Does anyone really believe exclusives matter nearly as much as they have in prior generations in terms of console sales? I just don't see it and I suspect the data would end up supporting this if we saw total sales. 3rd party exclusives have all but dried up and multi-platform is king. 1st party games can only add so much to a console''s library. Without 3rd party exclusives then exclusives themselves become less significant a factor in terms of purchasing decisions. When 3rd party games are mostly multi-platform it makes the decision a hell of a lot easier.

I appreciate Sony's 1st party efforts and is a substantial reason it is my primary console. They provide high production value and offer gameplay that I find enjoyable. They are the closest to the Sega of yesteryear that we've got, if that makes any sense. It's about releasing consistently good quality games even if they aren't all selling gangbusters. Sony tends to take great care of their games.

Though to be honest after having played all the Uncharted games I can't stand them. I'd rather do without.

Does anyone really believe exclusives matter nearly as much as they have in prior generations in terms of console sales? I just don't see it and I suspect the data would end up supporting this if we saw total sales. 3rd party exclusives have all but dried up and multi-platform is king. 1st party games can only add so much to a console''s library. Without 3rd party exclusives then exclusives themselves become less significant a factor in terms of purchasing decisions. When 3rd party games are mostly multi-platform it makes the decision a hell of a lot easier.

8,7 millions of Uncharted 4 sold the 22th december 2016 is very good. The number of PS4 sold through end of 2016 is 53,4 millions. And maybe some people buying gift at last moment 23rd December and 24th December made the number grow significantly. It is 1/6 of the number of PS4 user at least end of 2016... And like I said in some European country UC4 was in the top 15/20 for 2017 sales.

And comparing this to the number of multiplatform game sold on PS4 I think it is ok. Some sold more only on PS4(GTA V, Minecraft, COD...) but it is a good number and I am sure the game is now 10+ millions easily...

7,6 millions after one year is cool too for a new IP. Very funny but God of War is out is is stock in Amazon UK qnd multiple first party games are too out of stock maybe some people buy a PS4 with multiple first party games as secondary console. ;)

Edit: Horizon Zero Dawn sold more than FF 15 and is on the same path than The Witcher 3 counting all platform... Or I think it reach this number faster than The Witcher 3..

Edit2: no after 10 months TW3 shipped 10 millions copies. It is probably just behind The Witcher 3 not bad for a new exclusive IP...

Last edited:
You are spinning.
It's not spinning when your remarks consisted of a one-line offensive response with zero explanation and any number of interpretations. This is a discussion forum - sometimes things are misunderstood, in which case explain them, or give up. Dumb one liners that you expect everyone to interpret correctly (from a fine-weave context of multiple threads) is very stupid.

Last edited:
Back