The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be in their best interest to end the stagnant Intel monopoly in the laptop market, IMO.
Intel has not been milking laptop market as much as datacenter.
As of now OEMs give ~0 shit about APUs.
Maybe something interesting will pop up on CES.
AMD needs something like XPS with RR to really hit the market.
Besides, reeducating your average consumer to buy AMD laptops will more than difficult, heck, borderline impossible.

The three models that were announced were:
I know what was announced. I'm more interested in what will actually be sold and when it will be available.

To be perfectly clear, AMD IMHO has to get out of the cheapo-alternative corner and establish a brand for themselves.

The three models that were announced were:

- 15" 2Kg laptop from HP with dual-channel @2400MHz but only with the lower-end Ryzen 5 2500U available.
This is kinda curious case, I'm pretty sure the slides had some benches done on exactly that HP laptop - except that it was R7 not R5

edit: yep, checked the slides, the game performance slides were using "HP Omen X360" with Ryzen 7 2700U even though they announced it's coming only with Ryzen 5 2500U

They do?
Why are they launching new models with APUs with close to half a year cadence, then?

This is kinda curious case, I'm pretty sure the slides had some benches done on exactly that HP laptop - except that it was R7 not R5

edit: yep, checked the slides, the game performance slides were using "HP Omen X360" with Ryzen 7 2700U even though they announced it's coming only with Ryzen 5 2500U
They're different models. What was announced was the Envy 360. Omen is HP's brand for gaming-oriented PCs, which would explain why it's equipped with the higher-end APU.

A quick trip to HP's website tells me there's no such thing as a Omen X360 yet. The 360 suffix suggests a foldable keyboard for tablet&tent modes, so it could be an upcoming new product.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do?
Why are they launching new models with APUs with close to half a year cadence, then?

They're different models. What was announced was the Envy 360. Omen is HP's brand for gaming-oriented PCs, which would explain why it's equipped with the higher-end APU.

A quick trip to HP's website tells me there's no such thing as a Omen X360 yet. The 360 suffix suggests a foldable keyboard for tablet&tent modes, so it could be an upcoming new product.
My bad, I blame the alcohol. what I meant to say was "it's Envy x360 R7 2700U" while Envy X360 was only announced with R5 2500U, there's no Omen mentioned in the slides

Eh, what? Lots of laptops with Intel integrated graphics CPUs out there, even high-end ones (Apple MBPs for $3000+ etc.)

No reason why AMD would not be able to make an impact here as well, just as they have done with desktop chips.

Eh, what? Lots of laptops with Intel integrated graphics CPUs out there, even high-end ones (Apple MBPs for $3000+ etc.)

No reason why AMD would not be able to make an impact here as well, just as they have done with desktop chips.

Well you can buy Ryzen Desk chips and build your own desktop PC. The same thing is not true with mobile hardware, hence they really need OEMs collaboration.

A quote from that article:

This new semi-custom GPU puts the performance and capabilities of Radeon graphics into the hands of an expanded set of enthusiasts who want the best visual experience possible.”

Is this our semi-custom solution that "goes beyond gaming"?

Wild!

From reading the press release, its seems that Intel straight up commissioned a semi-custom graphics part from AMD ala Sony and Microsoft, which would also explain Lisa Su's categorical denial of IP licensing. I wounder who makes the chip: AMD via GloFo/TSMC or Intel themselves. Can't wait to see the specification, performance, etc.

I was thinking back to the Q3 earnings conference call and decided to dig up the transcripts:

Dr. Lisa T. Su - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

.... So, look, the semi-custom business continues to be a business that's performing well for us. So we are – as we go into 2018, we are expanding the customer set beyond our traditional Sony and Microsoft game consoles. Actually, this past quarter, we announced that Atari will be adopting a customized processor for their next-generation. We also have a number of new opportunities that we continue to work. And they are in markets outside of game console, including some of the markets that you mentioned. So overall, we do expect there will be some puts and takes in the semi-custom business as we go into 2018 and there will be some new product revenue that will ramp particularly in the second half of 2018.

In hindsight, it seems pretty clear what she is talking about.

Here's one bit I found interesting.

Similarly, the power sharing framework is a new connection tailor-made by Intel among the processor, discrete graphics chip and dedicated graphics memory.

So it looks like systems equipped with an integrated AMD graphics solution will or could also feature dedicated GPU VRAM.

It's going to be interesting to see how the chip looks and performs.

Regards,
SB

What remains to be seen is if the design can substitute video for system memory. Perhaps not this chip, but the next. Getting rid of DIMMs would really shrink the footprint, board complexity, and reduce power a bit more.

That and I really want to see a CPU with so much memory bandwidth it can forego speculative execution in favor of brute forcing the fetches.

That and I really want to see a CPU with so much memory bandwidth it can forego speculative execution in favor of brute forcing the fetches.
Speculative and out-of-order execution is targeted at complex serial code with long dependencies, where data access latency has a significant impact. Getting wider memory interfaces with more bandwidth doesn't necessarily mitigate access latency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back