The AMD Execution Thread [2007 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird happenings. I wonder if this is Tesla playing shenanigans to get a better deal from NVidia. Doubtful, but this story is very strange. The only other thing I can think of is that it would be targeted at market manipulation of some sort, seeing that AMD stock price reacted favourably, as expected.

Musk is 100% pro vertical integration, its make 100% sense based off everything else he has done. The rumor got traction because it makes a large amount of sense, AMD has said it wants to generate revenue direct from its IP stack. Developing car AI chips from scratch would both be an infringement nightmare and have a long time to rollout let alone ROI. A deal like that for tesla would allow for them to control there own development while reducing time to market and risk.

Well at least they're better efforts then intels look at how much better our process tech is then everyone else, quick looks at this graph but dont look at it to closely please........

I would be extremely apprehensive about drawing any sort of inferences regarding Navi or anything else from this rumor and the highlighted inference represents a tremendous leap of faith.
The only inference I was drawing was that Navi on roadmaps is a 7nm part and is extremely unlikely to be in production, beyond limited validation and development, at this time. Those future "AI specific circuits" wouldn't be a requirement either and as I mentioned above, not difficult to add. Nice to have, but not a game changer as AI has been running on GPUs for years already.

None of these reports clear up the situation though. Tesla is likely to integrate vertically given past choices by Musk. Vertical integration is unlikely to include Nvidia. Bringing up an in house design, which could be based around current Navi IP on 7nm, wouldn't exist in any official capacity. That product would be at least a year or two off just due to safety and certification. There wouldn't have to be commitments with any fabs for R&D.

They said it will be able to play with mid-range pc performance. Idk if they will have a game store or will be like a pc we will have to wait but I'm liking the console already.

FWIW, Wccftech is saying that will run some PC games as well. It uses Linux, so they can't be that many...

http://wccftech.com/ataribox-custom-amd-cpu

Well that makes it an almost immediate failure. The Linux versions of games are very paltry, and it seems like releases are less frequent now than they were 2 years ago, especially for AAA and big budget indie games. They still happen occasionally but it's very rare now.

They would have been better off including one of the free Windows manufacturer's distributions. Although that would limit the hardware they could include to an extent (max of 2 or 4 GB memory as well as 16, 32, or 64 GB SSD).

Then again at less than 300 USD, they aren't going to be able to include a lot of memory or storage space anyway. Lots of under 400 USD Windows Devices go with the Official free distribution of Windows. The BeeBox I got for my father recently came with it.

Regards,
SB

If you can buy a Linux PC instead of a Windows PC that has all the same functionality yet is cheaper, why wouldn't you? Of course, it's not as simple as that as the experiences are very different, but games is certainly a strong USP for Windows - there's no better platform out there for playing games.

Btw MS should just Open DirectX to Linux and Mac. There is not competition and it will never be.
They sort of already did when they opened the DirectX compiler. Part of that is tied to LLVM. Up to DX9 there was a native state tracker implemented with Wine for emulating Windows. When it works, Linux outperforms or is roughly equivalent to Windows. DX12 to Vulkan should be easier, and we've yet to see major releases designed around them. The recent linux issue is designing around display protocols as X and Wayland are exclusively coexisting. Nvidia support of the latter being problematic on top of everything else. The display stack is basically a mess. I've seen old apps and games that can't even figure out how to spawn a window. What development does exist, at least from Valve, is focused on a proprietary implementation around Radeon.

If you can buy a Linux PC instead of a Windows PC that has all the same functionality yet is cheaper, why wouldn't you? Of course, it's not as simple as that as the experiences are very different, but games is certainly a strong USP for Windows - there's no better platform out there for playing games.

Of the 'main' uses for pcs

1. Browser
2. Email
3. Media
4. Office programs
5. Games
6. Other software such as photoshop etc

1-3.5 (mostly) can be done on Linux about as well as a Windows PC.

Consider 'big' games such as League of legends that have dozens of millions of players, 60+ million active Steam accounts and others. If they could lose potentially anywhere from 10-100 million+ Windows users they would be foolish to consider it, especially given the fact it would give momentum to other types of software to be developed on alternative platforms too.

Good result from amd and interesting tidbits about future

Su told analysts on a conference call today that AMD would partially skip 12nm, rolling it out only for "subset of products" in the CPU and GPU space next year, while most of the company's resources would be going into developing parts using a 7nm process after 2018. AMD has no plans for 10nm, which is giving Intel a hard time lately.

Revenues of $1.64bn were up 26 per cent from $1.31bn in Q3 2016, and topped analyst estimates of $1.51bn.

Net income of $71m topped the admittedly low bar set by last year's $406m quarterly loss, in large part caused by a $340m payment to Global Foundries. For a different angle, non-GAAP operating income this year was $110m compared to $27m this time last year.

Earnings per share were $0.10 non-GAAP, topping analyst estimates of $0.08.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/25/amd_q3_fy2017_great_but_not_great/

Edit. Anandtech has a nice article on amd quarterly results: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11961/amd-announces-q3-earnings-71m-in-the-black

Last edited:
Looks like some embargo about Ryzen Mobile will lift today (and not November 2nd), and Videocardz seems to have seen the slides:

https://videocardz.com/73702/amd-launches-ryzen-mobile-7-2700u-5-2500u-with-vega-graphics

All that's missing is the TDP and RAM speeds of this Ryzen 7 2700U, but even if it's 25W these are excellent results.
Going Core i5/i7 U + MX150 will sound stupid for any reason other than Raven Ridge being supply limited.

This is gonna be fun. I'm just hoping, AMD can and will exert enough influence on the OEMs so that as many as possible configurations will utilized dual-channel memory.

This is gonna be fun. I'm just hoping, AMD can and will exert enough influence on the OEMs so that as many as possible configurations will utilized dual-channel memory.

The three models that were announced were:

- 15" 2Kg laptop from HP with dual-channel @2400MHz but only with the lower-end Ryzen 5 2500U available.
- 15" 2Kg laptop from Acer with dual-channel @2133MHz
- 13.3" 1,2Kg laptop from Lenovo with single-channel 2133MHz

These all seem like simple low-effort adaptations of existing low-cost-ish chassis with intel chips, probably selling for even lower.
AMD had claimed Raven Ridge would be present in at least one 2-in-1 design until the end of the year, and I immediately assumed this meant detachable 12" tablets. Turns out that 2Kg 15" HP is a 2-in-1 foldable, so I guess the joke's on me.

It really doesn't look like the OEMs are cooperating much with AMD here. It should be in their best interest to end the stagnant Intel monopoly in the laptop market, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back