PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask, but is the super sample a feature we can natively enable on PC? So. Go from 1440p and have it downscale to 1080? It would appear that the results are better than native, If this thread anything to go off.
Edit: nvm. I'm looking for the original super sampling anti aliasing.

Last edited:
I have to ask, but is the super sample a feature we can natively enable on PC? So. Go from 1440p and have it downscale to 1080? It would appear that the results are better than native, If this thread anything to go off.

GCN1/2 GPUs can do 1440->1080 or 1600->1200 scaling. GCN3/4 can do 4K->1080p scaling.
I think all Maxwells can do 4K->1080p, most probably Pascals do it too. I'm not sure about Kepler.

GCN1/2 GPUs can do 1440->1080 or 1600->1200 scaling. GCN3/4 can do 4K->1080p scaling.
I think all Maxwells can do 4K->1080p, most probably Pascals do it too. I'm not sure about Kepler.

Thanks! The feature I'm looking for is called DSR. Not OGSSAA. Good info post.

Thanks! The feature I'm looking for is called DSR. Not OGSSAA. Good info post.

We've been able to force supersampling through third party tools like Nvidia Inspector for a long time. DSR just brought that capability into the main driver control panel making it a hell of a lot more convenient. The functionality has been available since at least Kepler. I'd be surprised if all GCN GPU's don't have the same capability. DSR's a great feature, I use it a lot with my GTX 1070 and 1080p monitor. I was testing ROTTR the other day and can render at 4k on the highest graphics preset at a solid 30fps. Downscaling that back to 1080p looks pretty sweet.

We've been able to force supersampling through third party tools like Nvidia Inspector for a long time. DSR just brought that capability into the main driver control panel making it a hell of a lot more convenient. The functionality has been available since at least Kepler. I'd be surprised if all GCN GPU's don't have the same capability. DSR's a great feature, I use it a lot with my GTX 1070 and 1080p monitor. I was testing ROTTR the other day and can render at 4k on the highest graphics preset at a solid 30fps. Downscaling that back to 1080p looks pretty sweet.

It's a. Great way to leverage excess power. I wish I was paying more attention, been a while since I took back interest in PC gaming.

Someone tested HDD vs SDD performance:

IMG_1036.JPG

When you see this:

http://www.roadtovr.com/the-biggest-gain-for-psvr-playstation-vr-on-ps4-pro-so-far-is-loading-times/

It looks like either the stock HDD is considerably faster in the Pro or the system benefits from a faster CPU with a faster memory system. Think it's the last thing specially if you take the way Sony connected the HDD in the vanilla PS4, so via an USB to SATA2 bridge. I suspect it's still like that, only the bridge does SATA3 and e.g. supports NCQ with slightly better performance ? Other option is that there is a native SATA i/f this time, but performance is limited, like limited access to the internal bus and memory system (GPU and CPUs have simply a higher portion of the BW).

On the other hand, can imagine with a smaller SoC and already multiple GDDR and DRAM interfaces, HDMI etc. they are pin limited, they went for USB for the SATA port just to save I/O and not needing the full 3 Gbps. For a 5400 RPM drive ~1 Gbps (120 MB/s) is enough, perfect for USB 3.0.

In any ways, SSD gives you 20-50% better performance.

When my Pro arrives, I'm going for a 2TB Firecuda SSHD.

Uhm, PCs already exist and are already on the shelves that are more "the ultimate 1080p machine" than 4Pro.

It is kind of funny things like the Alienware Alpha Wal Mart still has a big display for (lol outdated Wal Mart). They basically bill it as a 399 steam machine, more powerful than console, has a video playing with a developer talking about how it can render true 1080P, etc.

All such PC/console hybrids are rendered increasingly pointless if we're doing iterative consoles. I am sure PS4 Pro let alone scorpio has much more powerful GPU than that Alienware Alpha.

On the flip side Ben Heck laptop/console creations become a lot more meaningful (as they will actually be notably more powerful than almost any laptop again). Although at this point, if you spend enough you can still probably get a more powerful laptop GPU from Nvidia.

Well here's the beginning of a tear down...
RF has 3 separate antennas, it's the J20H091 which went through the FCC earlier.
Memory on the south bridge is a 512MB, DDR3-1600, and it's super narrow 8bits wide. There must be another one on the other side, dual ranking. So it's probably 1GB.

Not sure how to get to the other side. the top cover have no screws, so it must be plastic tabs which I don't want to break. I'm out of thermal paste so I won't remove the board from this side until this weekend.
IMG_20161110_182023.jpg IMG_20161110_182417.jpg IMG_20161110_181028.jpg IMG_20161110_182548.jpg

Memory on the south bridge is a 512MB, DDR3-1600, and it's super narrow 8bits wide. There must be another one on the other side, dual ranking. So it's probably 1GB.
Apparently the original PS4 also had DDR3, but it was only 256MB.

I'm guessing this is the "extra 1GB for apps" that Cerny mentioned, which is also responsible for the extra 512MB of GDDR5 that the GPU can access. So it's not an extra 1GB, but rather 768MB.

Why do you assume it's using an 8bit bus?

Apparently the original PS4 also had DDR3, but it was only 256MB.

I'm guessing this is the "extra 1GB for apps" that Cerny mentioned, which is also responsible for the extra 512MB of GDDR5 that the GPU can access. So it's not an extra 1GB, but rather 768MB.

Why do you assume it's using an 8bit bus?
I meant just the chip we see on that side. That chip is an 8 bit packaging (78 balls). The south bridge of the original PS4 was 16 bits of DDR3-1600, I am assuming it still is, so there would need to be another 8bits 4Gbits mirrored on the other side. So why didn't they use a single 16bits/8Gbits? Probably less expensive to use 4Gbits capacity because of yield and availability, and 8bits packaging is what Dimms are using, so huge volume.

It's not like there is any need for anything faster than 16 bits ddr3, it's mostly an app swapping memory. it's only a fraction of a second to swap. Any I/O buffer there can't be a bottleneck either, it's many many times faster than any drives or networks.

Last edited:
Diffused in Taiwan which means TSMC 16nm ff+ (Ps4 slim/X1S) instead of GloFo 14nm (Polaris). Huge increase in psu size in comparison to the original Ps4 and better heatsink/mounting + backplate + thermal pads for the memory modules, not bad :)

Now someone measure the die please :yep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back