PS4 Pro Official Specifications (Codename NEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious to see how silent it is when it's running non pro patched games. Assuming it has a beefier cooling system than the slim (which is really silent already) the Pro might be whisper quiet playing non pro games.

my view on the 8.4tf.
Sony has not and are not claiming the 4pro is 8.4tf.
he was doing a relatively technical interview with a relatively technical site, and during that he explained about some new aspects of the chip which wasn't in the old one, and parts of amd newer designs, and what it can do.
Which in this regards is 8.4tf @16f.
everyone else picks up on that and reports it, usually out of context.
if you want to claim they knew this would happen, fair enough I guess.
apart from that one technical breakdown, I've never seen them mention anything other than 4.2tf.

I'm curious to see how silent it is when it's running non pro patched games. Assuming it has a beefier cooling system than the slim (which is really silent already) the Pro might be whisper quiet playing non pro games.
Hopefully that means it should be silent during media playback too.

Agreed, MS needs to tread lightly here. People still quote and meme the shit out of their XBO launch.
All in all, they still need to focus on having games and building their library. That's a bigger priority in terms of marketing. It's also easier to communicate than 12TF @ 16FP.

edit: last but not least, occam's razor, they are still too far away to begin communicating on the technical details of their system.
Well, lets assume, AMD build in a 8bit FP with 4x the speed, would the marketing machine not communicate it is 24TF?
The problem here is cerny mentioned the 8.4 TF@16bit and that is as good as the marketing department. Now everyone is thinking... damn, that's a big number. Still problem is, everyone can do this, except MS.

btw, with the uncharted PS4Pro patch and the HDR for normal PS4s, is there any site that makes a review about the HDR-feature on normal PS4s?

Well, lets assume, AMD build in a 8bit FP with 4x the speed, would the marketing machine not communicate it is 24TF?
The problem here is cerny mentioned the 8.4 TF@16bit and that is as good as the marketing department. Now everyone is thinking... damn, that's a big number. Still problem is, everyone can do this, except MS.
That was a technical detail. Cerny specifically said 4.2 TF fp32 in the previous sentence. He made no claims about 8.4 TF in generic case. Technical people understand difference between fp16 and fp32. Developers have wanted double rate fp16 for some time already. Sony is the first to deliver and we developers are happy. Simple as that. They are marketing the hardware for both developers and consumers. This is an important feature for the developers. There was no chance that anybody misunderstood him.

Similarly. AMD gives technical details about their GPUs all the time. For example this article (http://gpuopen.com/amd-gcn-assembly-cross-lane-operations/) tells us that LDS memory bandwidth is 8.6 TB/s. I don't see anybody suddenly claiming that AMD has memory bandwidth of 8.6 TB/s. It is important that hardware manufacturers can openly discuss about their hardware. Sometimes press deliberately quotes things incorrectly to get big headlines. They seem to be desperate to get clicks.

It would be great to have a thread with people's views on newly patched HDR games. It seems that's a far bigger deal than increased resolutions, and there's not much on the interweb in terms of real, techie views.

It would be great to have a thread with people's views on newly patched HDR games. It seems that's a far bigger deal than increased resolutions, and there's not much on the interweb in terms of real, techie views.

Agreed, also still very curious on how they pulled it off on the OG.

Not many people with HDR TV's to even test it..

So I haven't heard much talk about it but I'm guessing PS4 Pro up-scales non-patched games to 4K unlike the PS4 Slim?

Similar to how Xbox One S does?

So I haven't heard much talk about it but I'm guessing PS4 Pro up-scales non-patched games to 4K unlike the PS4 Slim?

Similar to how Xbox One S does?
That would be my guess, because it looks as if you can set the PS4's output resolution to 4K in the actual PS4 display settings, which would make the PS4 scale all non-4K content to 4K if the resolution doesn't change when launching non-patched games (which could also be true).

Last edited:
My take is PS4 Pro is the ultimate 1080p machine. Will run most games from last 3 years at 1080p and will run new games with increased image quality on 1080p displays...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back