All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take your pick, we know next to nothing. All the praise this game gets is really weird to me.

And what praise are you talking about? All that I've seen are a few of us saying it looks to be a good game. Meaning it could be a good game or has potential to be a good game, with none of us saying it is a good game.

I've said it before, but I suspect the forth Xbox will have insane specs and will most likely annihilate the next Playstation in terms of power. I guess it remains to be seen if that's enough bring its sales back up to par.

If these consoles continue to use commodity hardware I doubt it..... unless someone wants to either price themselves out of competition or take a hit. Power is not the reason why xbone is so far behind its competition anyway.

Uhm, lets not have the conversation why one console is behind the other console in this thread. We have a dozens upon dozens of other threads dedicated for those various topics. Thanks.

We haven't yet seen gameplay of ReCore to decide on how good of a game it is. With that said, i really like the concept, i really like the art direction and i also like when devs are trying new things with new IPs so i am really hoping it turns out a good game.

We haven't yet seen gameplay of ReCore to decide on how good of a game it is.

This seems to be a common trait of early game reveal trailers these days. Look at Sony's reveal of WiLD and The Tomorrow Children. You can't ascertain the game mechanics and the trailer is there is intrigue with you a theme and possible premise. Recore definitely intrigues me but I like the idea of being a 'lone wanderer' surviving out there.

Typically when people say "it looks like it could be a good game" to a CGI trailer of a game, they're really only commenting on the concept and setting. The trailer rightly doesn't give much away in terms of the type of game, but it does well in establishing a general direction, both in terms of setting and art direction for the game, that in some cases can also give clues to what kind of game players can expect to see when the thing is finally revealed. E.g. it's obvious that the game is unlikely to be a modern military FPS or multiplayer RTS for example.

No one is saying "Recore will be a good game" based only on a CGI trailer. Rather "Recore looks interesting"...

It does look interesting and should be legitimately praised for it. It could end up being something completely different, but for now people are only commenting on what they've seen.

What is Recore? I haven't seen or heard much about that game?

Produced by Keiji Inafune, (Onimusha, lost planet, dead rising). Looks very promising IMO:

Kyoto_GameInfoArt_688x387.jpg

US Amazon Best Sellers (hourly) as of 6am EST.

#1 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle
#5 XB1 Gears of War Bundle
#11 PS4 Nathan Drake Collection Bundle (again)
#21 XB1 Fallout Bundle
#25 PS4 Star Wars Battlefront Bundle
#26 XB1 Three Games Bundle
#35 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Bundle
#43 XB1 Legos Movie Bundle
#70 XB1 FIFA 16 Bundle

Solid start for Black Friday...

People who work in retail at GAF are saying it's neck and neck between PS4 and XB1 on BF, one saying XB1 is slightly ahead (dunno which store he works at). Sounds like it's gonna be another close month with XB1 possibly selling slightly better on BF, but with the PS4 most likely selling better outside of BF with all the pre-orders for the bundles they had.

MS doesn't quite have the price advantage as last year, but they still do have a considerable advantage with giftcard and/or free game offers. Plus they discounted all of their bundles while Sony only discounted the Uncharted bundle. I think Sony should have done the same as BF and CoD are the bigger titles. At least they were more aggressive than last year.

I think Sony should have done the same as BF and CoD are the bigger titles.
Discounting products that are already in demand just means losing revenue and profit. The only reason to discount if you're a sensible business is to make more money than if you don't by shifting more units. With PS4 demand where it is, further price reductions aren't necessary. Sony only need discount PS4 further if units sit on shelves.

BF sales will be close [I give a small lead to PS4], but the whole november looks like clear win for Sony.

I'm glad that Bloodborne got a decent push. It is currently at #9 spot on US Amazon. Also, PS4 camera is back in action at #21 [I'm interested in high sales of that because I want camera-less PSVR SKU :D]

Last edited:
Discounting products that are already in demand just means losing revenue and profit. The only reason to discount if you're a sensible business is to make more money than if you don't by shifting more units. With PS4 demand where it is, further price reductions aren't necessary. Sony only need discount PS4 further if units sit on shelves.
Yeah I guess I was just looking at it from a competition standpoint. Sony would have definitely secured November if they had discounted all of their bundles. But you're right, Sony probably doesn't care enough to lose out on profits when they could have easily been more aggressive.

"Winning November" or any other individual month matters absolutely nothing to Sony, seeing their position, if it meant that they profit any less for no reason whatsoever. I might be a big picture kind of guy even when I shouldn't, but really in this case the whole Winning X Month thing means absolutely nothing. But of course it means the world to some boys, on this forum too.

"Winning November" or any other individual month matters absolutely nothing to Sony, seeing their position, if it meant that they profit any less for no reason whatsoever. I might be a big picture kind of guy even when I shouldn't, but really in this case the whole Winning X Month thing means absolutely nothing. But of course it means the world to some boys, on this forum too.
I think the win is relative, Sony doesn't need it as much as MS. MS needs a win BC a disproportionate amount of sales have occurred over the holidays and MS have basically conceded most markets outside if North America so cutting into Sony's lead in North America again this year would help them. And I still think the online multiplier is a factor even if it should decrease as we get further into this generation of hardware.

I think the win is relative, Sony doesn't need it as much as MS. MS needs a win BC a disproportionate amount of sales have occurred over the holidays and MS have basically conceded most markets outside if North America so cutting into Sony's lead in North America again this year would help them. And I still think the online multiplier is a factor even if it should decrease as we get further into this generation of hardware.

MS doesn't "need" a win, it needs a level of sales that will justify the xbox business and desires a level of sales that will help drive big revenue and profits. Ultimately all MS needs to do is be relevant and profitable in the market and maintain a healthy business.

MS can accomplish all of that without ever selling more consoles than Sony over the rest of the gen.

Put it this way, MS would rather sell 10 million consoles over the holiday quarter with Sony selling 20 million units rather than them selling 300k with Sony selling only 150k over the same quarter.

MS doesn't "need" a win, it needs a level of sales that will justify the xbox business and desires a level of sales that will help drive big revenue and profits. Ultimately all MS needs to do is be relevant and profitable in the market and maintain a healthy business.

MS can accomplish all of that without ever selling more consoles than Sony over the rest of the gen.

Put it this way, MS would rather sell 10 million consoles over the holiday quarter with Sony selling 20 million units rather than them selling 300k with Sony selling only 150k over the same quarter.
Relevant and profitable are pushing MS in completely different directions, they haven't done these expensive holiday bundles each year for nothing. They've abandoned the profit at a higher unit price to gain market share for a reason.

Relevant and profitable are pushing MS in completely different directions, they haven't done these expensive holiday bundles each year for nothing. They've abandoned the profit at a higher unit price to gain market share for a reason.

They are not doing it to beat Sony. They are sacrificing short profits for long term health. They want marketshare because ultimately thats what dictates profitability, but its not "more sales than Sony or bust".

They want sales not a PR win.

Last edited:
They are not doing it to beat Sony. They are sacrificing short profits for long term health. They want marketshare because ultimately thats what dictates profitability, but its not "more sales than Sony or bust".

They want sales not a PR win.
Did you read my post? I didn't mention PR, I talked about their sales....

It's all about keeping a balance and making decisions to try to keep that balance. Clearly they need a market share big enough to actually make enough money to keep that part of the business going. And at the same time maintain profitability.
Agreed and sales lead to more sales due to the multiplier effect which in part is why they are so aggressive each holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back