The Tomorrow Children

I was squealing like a piglet when I saw this during the conference.

One of my most anticipated games on PS4 now.

Absolutely outstanding!

I really love what Sony is doing with all these pseudo-indie-but-with-AAA-production-value-games.

And Q games rock. They've never dissappointed yet.

Q Games is using realtime GI with 3 light bounces! :)
I6rxvAu.png

And the visual style of the game was incredible. Hopefully they will detail what they are using async compute for.

It looks incredible, but one has to imagine that the game itself isn't actually about 3 bounce voxel lighting. ;)

Yet another game from Sony's conference where it's borderline impossible to tell how the game will play but which looks utterly amazing and full of potential.

Yet another game from Sony's conference where it's borderline impossible to tell how the game will play but which looks utterly amazing and full of potential.

Utterly impossible? Trailer showed a lot of things, city building, digging, defense against robots... We got a lot of information in that trailer. Heck, we got more than No Man's Skies showed in first few media pieces.

Utterly impossible? Trailer showed a lot of things, city building, digging, defense against robots... We got a lot of information in that trailer. Heck, we got more than No Man's Skies showed in first few media pieces.
So do you control an individual being, a colony of individual beings by issuing specific orders (build this, attack this) or are you more an influential God-like being who merely influences the behaviour of your AI beings, e.g. Populous?

That's what I mean by not knowing what the gameplay is. BTW I didn't use the word "utterly", it's a loathsome word and people who use it should have cream pies thrown at them every Sunday :yep2:

Also, is there a risk of being a minion and having to hack away with pickaxes for hours on end 'for the greater good'? One of the problem with games that assign roles is if people don't want to do them. But that assumes each characters was a player. As DSoup says, we've no idea what the actual game is.

really love the lighting in this title. This is certainly a special one. Man lots of catch up on today.

Love the lighting, game looks strange though not sure what to make of it. One to watch.

Volumetric lighting that calculates three levels of recursion, so a point on a surface is lit by the sun, light bounces off it and illuminates another surface, and light bounces off that surface to light another or the first one. Could be similar to Epic's SVOGI tech that they dropped because it was too expensive.

Edit: Saying 'volumetric', I don't know if it's volumetric and provides and volumetric shadows. I'd guess not, and just takes the voxel aspect to be the way the scene illumination is represented.

IGN have an decent length interview with Q-Games, which reveals quite a few snippets about the 'Karl Marx Simulator'.

Q Games said:
“At the base level, I suppose it’s what you want in a game,” says Cuthbert. “It’s a sandbox. You can be all gung-ho, so you can be fighting all the time in the game if you want to. Or you can be quietly adventuring into the islands, finding treasure and exploring and digging out tunnels, helping other players. It really is up to you what you make of it.”

I finish by asking Cuthbert what he most enjoys doing in the world he’s created. He tells me his likes to head for the horizon, for the distant islands slowly rising from the good of humanity’s shared consciousness and dig. He likes to build tunnels in this stone, elaborate staircases that stretch to the very top, and from time to time he hears the sirens back in the town, as the latest wave of monsters try to destroy what everyone is building, but he stays put, unconcerned, and continues to build. “I sometimes think ‘Should I go back?’ Nah, I’ll just carry on here. It’s great in that sense. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

Lot's of information about the scope of the game and some of the mechanics. Sounds very cool, and I really liked the soviet vibe of the trailer :yes:

This game is STUNNING. I literally felt like I was watching a claymation Childs film. Next Gen keeps getting better and better.

Back