All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I wonder what MS are thinking for long-term now? Are they just accepting the status quo and will maximise XB1 based on services and exclusives, or do they want to make it bigger and are willing to throw cash at it? I think the former. I think the focus around Windows 10 shows they want to reposition themselves, and personally I think that's smart because they're making noises that I'm liking. I've also spoken with friends who have similar interest. Windows devices and Windows PCs and XBox beng a service across them has a lot of appeal if it plays out how we hope. The lack of PC quality software on iOS and Android greatly hampers them. So I reckon XB1 sales will just settle down with a few big games causing some spikes, and MS will look to its first parties to start releasing on console and PC's Xbox service to get customers. ie. Halo and Gears and Quantum Break and everything else on Windows Store, not Steam. I think XB1 has enough presence now to remain relevant to developers long enough to become encompassed into the Win 10 future.

MS certainly has their work cut out for them. They've promised a lot and they just need to deliver.

Focus on game library for the rest of the generation and improve services and multimedia features. Focus in growth areas that they are naturally strong at like services, OS changes, vertical integration etc.

As for the performance of the Xbox it's likely a wait and see approach. DX12 should land and provide some much needed stability to the platform (at last) with the Windows 10 kernel at the same time; developers will no longer to need to operate within a volatile environment. Additionally when we examine Phil's address, *quote* We knew what DX12 was doing when we made Xbox *quote*, the numbers coming out of Xbox One after DX12 should begin to align with what they thought their hardware was capable of if that quote isn't hyperbole. It's certainly a show and tell time if they had enough foresight to put Feature Set 12_0 into Xbox One and had enough muscle to force all their partners to accept this feature set.

I feel that things should settle down by 2017 and they can probably start accurately looking at how the console is performing compared to their expectations, it's clear that they had some numbers to back up their design so I imagine they will be looking to see games hit around the benchmarks.

I see MS continuing their role this generation providing assistance to developers in optimizing for their console. They still need to deliver on that very vague cloud strategy, and that's a whole other section that will require an equal amount of resources and R&D to make work.

Last edited:
Not updating as frequently on this as there's less interesting things happening, IE - we're back to how things "should" be or at least how most people think things should be. However, there is one notable change. Change in ranking is versus my previous post and not the previous Amazon monthly rankings.

So last rankings for January.

09 - PS4 (down 1)
20 - XBO: AC (down 2)
55 - WiiU: SM3D and Nintendo Land bundle (down 5)

So, everyone is down.

Another gift card in the top 20 now. Including membership cards, 9 of the top 20 products for video games is digital online related. Yay! And in the next 21-40, another 3 gift cards are waiting in the wings to potentially go into the top 20. Yay, again!

For Feb. I'm not expecting any surprise, so probably won't be updating again unless something unexpected happens.

Regards,
SB

Reactions: Jwm
I think Sony's ship numbers come in Wednesday night (USA time).
I am expecting sold-through numbers, as is the norm with Sony this generation. Their 2014 Q3 financials (and the associated data) was bumped a week and is now due tomorrow. This is because of the need to properly asses the 'damage' (in financial terms) to Sony Movies after the cyber attack by Kim Jong-un's homies.

I am expecting sold-through numbers, as is the norm with Sony this generation. Their 2014 Q3 financials (and the associated data) was bumped a week and is now due tomorrow. This is because of the need to properly asses the 'damage' (in financial terms) to Sony Movies after the cyber attack by Kim Jong-un's homies.

Last time they give shipped number.

They give the number of 13,5 millions shipped for quarter finishing 30th of September.
Ah yes that infographic thing. That's not a financial report where, thus far, they've only reported sold-through sales.

Between AMD almost 30 million shipped figure (between XB1/PS4), Sony's reported 18.5 million sold through number (as of January 4th), and the soon to be released Sony PS4 shipped numbers... this would be a great indicator on how many XB1 units actually shipped - given MS remarks back in November of 10 million XB1s approaching shipped.

If, and I mean IF, Sony shipped around 19.5-20 million some PS4s... then one can assume XB1 userbase (during that period) is under 10 million, knowing there wasn't any supply constraints on MS side.

The last number I saw was 18.5m which was sold through (to consumers)? :-?

People assume it is sold through. But all the translations of the press release are sales of the console. Which could just as well mean sales into the channel (which Microsoft call shipped). Which is the only thing Sony can track with any confidence. Especially as not all sales regions have somewhat robust sales estimate tracking services such as NPD or Mediacreate.

At no point have Sony or any of the news translators (Reuters is often the one quoted) claimed that the number is sold through to consumers.

Regards,
SB

Between AMD almost 30 million shipped figure (between XB1/PS4), Sony's reported 18.5 million sold through number (as of January 4th), and the soon to be released Sony PS4 shipped numbers... this would be a great indicator on how many XB1 units actually shipped - given MS remarks back in November of 10 million XB1s approaching shipped.

If, and I mean IF, Sony shipped around 19.5-20 million some PS4s... then one can assume XB1 userbase (during that period) is under 10 million, knowing there wasn't any supply constraints on MS side.

we can safely infer from recent AMD info, the Shawn Leydan interview last fall and MS statement about 10 million shipped last fall that the ratio is somewhere close to 2:1, it could very well be 1.7 or 2.2 to 1 but its pretty close to 2:1 which isn't bad for either company and more importantly the industry.

Except that Sony confirmed that the 18.5 was sold through to consumers, not retailers. This was reported everywhere. Modern retail allows very accurate real time sales data.
Yes, it seems entirely plausible that the first time a new system is updated/connected to PSN or Live both platform holders should know and be able to compare that number to third parties to come up with a fairly reliable estimate of sold through versus shipped.

And in some ways this analysis is pretty important BC both platform holders know that the box is just a gateway to their services so getting someone connected and spending money is imperative.

Yes, it seems entirely plausible that the first time a new system is updated/connected to PSN or Live both platform holders should know and be able to compare that number to third parties to come up with a fairly reliable estimate of sold through versus shipped.
I hadn't thought of this. I'm guessing that they are primarily using realtime sales data from the big retailers, where the vast volume of sales will originate. But yes, using connection data from when a console is first used and connects to the servers would be pretty reliable - probably a slight low-ball even because not everybody will connect to the internet and those that do, perhaps not right away. E.g. presents waiting to be opened.

I hadn't thought of this. I'm guessing that they are primarily using realtime sales data from the big retailers, where the vast volume of sales will originate. But yes, using connection data from when a console is first used and connects to the servers would be pretty reliable - probably a slight low-ball even because not everybody will connect to the internet and those that do, perhaps not right away. E.g. presents waiting to be opened.

The number doesn't need to be exact but it can be close and they will care to know bc they both need get consumers up and connected and spending money. As was already noted some markets have less reliable data but in some cases they may more inclined to go online and in others perhaps not. In either case, they can figure these numbers out and determine if they need a marketing gimmick to drive up connections like Live/PSN cards with nominal amounts of money or give aways or more cynically day one patches to the OS so services and games will work...

Except that Sony confirmed that the 18.5 was sold through to consumers, not retailers. This was reported everywhere. Modern retail allows very accurate real time sales data.

Your link confirms nothing. It's still the same report from the Reuter's translation. At no point has any reputable source that is linked to Sony claimed that it is sold through to consumers.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back