All purpose sales and sales rumors/anecdotes thread next gen+

Status
Not open for further replies.
People assume it is sold through. But all the translations of the press release are sales of the console. Which could just as well mean sales into the channel (which Microsoft call shipped). Which is the only thing Sony can track with any confidence. Especially as not all sales regions have somewhat robust sales estimate tracking services such as NPD or Mediacreate.

At no point have Sony or any of the news translators (Reuters is often the one quoted) claimed that the number is sold through to consumers.

Regards,
SB

GfK is very solid for Europe but they don't give public number. You can have the number but you need to pay.

I think Sony pretty clearly confirmed that the 18.5M is sold through to consumers, but these are separate optional announcements from the actual financial reports, where I'm sure they are using shipped figures as those are the actual sold by Sony figures and Financial reports have to use accurate numbers.

I think this is the 18.5M annoucement. Translated...

https://translate.google.com/transl...ase/20150106_ps4_global_sales.html&edit-text=

Wow, this is being questioned (18.5 million)? After Kaz announced the numbers during CES and Shu tweeted about it... lol

Pretty sure Yoshida or someone at Sony confirmed it via twitter too.
I recall Sony did tweet to confirm the figure was sold through to consumers, but can't remember who and they all tweet so much. This is why the early media reports early on the 5th January carry just the reference to sales from the translated press statement but latter media reports all include the clarification of sold through to consumers. I didn't feel clarification was required as the Japanese statement (when it was translated by a proper translator) was shown to refer to "actual sales volume" which in reporting terms means sold through [to consumer] sales.

You mean no reputable source apart from Kaz Hirai stating this during his CES Keynote?

Yes, just like that same author reported that the 13.5 million were sold in the previous report, when in actually it was shipped numbers. There are plenty of references to Sony selling 18.5 million. But no official statement that I've seen where that is confirmed as sold through to consumers and not just sold into the channel. I'm glad to be proven wrong however.

And to other's trying to twist this into saying Sony lied, huh? Sold is sold. But sold doesn't necessarily mean sold through to consumers.

Edit - now that I look at more and more reports from that CES. Those are Sony estimates. They estimate that they had sold through 18.5 million by that point. So I stand corrected. That number is how much Sony are guessing they sold through. Which is about as good as they can do, as many regions won't have as robust sales tracking services as the US, Japan, and parts of Europe.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Yes, just like that same author reported that the 13.5 million were sold in the previous report, when in actually it was shipped numbers. There are plenty of references to Sony selling 18.5 million. But no official statement that I've seen where that is confirmed as sold through to consumers and not just sold into the channel. I'm glad to be proven wrong however.

And to other's trying to twist this into saying Sony lied, huh? Sold is sold. But sold doesn't necessarily mean sold through to consumers.

Edit - now that I look at more and more reports from that CES. Those are Sony estimates. They estimate that they had sold through 18.5 million by that point. So I stand corrected. That number is how much Sony are guessing they sold through. Which is about as good as they can do, as many regions won't have as robust sales tracking services as the US, Japan, and parts of Europe.

Regards,
SB

GFK have all Europe number not some part just not release public number. US, Europe, Canada, Australia at least with NPD and GFK. Other national tracking company exist like Chart track in UK. It is not because the number are not public that tracking is not existing the rest of the world(not only in Europe but in Middle East for example...). And Sony ask to retailers their inventory... NPD, GFK or Media Create aren't the only way to track sales. The error margin is probably less than 5% like when Microsoft gave the number of 3 millions sold through end of 2013... Microsoft know the number they sold through within the error margin but they don't want to give the number because it is far less than Sony and same with shipped number...

Without GAF leaker we never know the US NPD number...

Edit: PSN and Xbox Live activation can help too

Last edited:
If we consider those numbers for good, 19M for sony and 11M for microsoft, that are terribly close to vgchartz's :p

Good results from Sony. Even their TV and mobile divisions made profit, but very large write-down and restructuring put mobile division in big minus.

Markets have opened and their stock has jumped 13%, and climbing.

If we consider those numbers for good, 19M for sony and 11M for microsoft, that are terribly close to vgchartz's :p

Since when is 19.9m the same as 19m? Or did I not read your post correctly?

Based on AMD's "nearly 30m shipped" statement, it would be ~20m PS4 and <10m XB1, or 19.9m PS4 and ~10m XB1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back