NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually hope that this is not true. Everything in Durango seemed perfectly aligned from our current batch of specs, the main bandwidth and ESRAM solution keep the GPU(which was the perfect size for that bandwidth) fed sufficently, and it all flowed perfectly with MS's goals of having a decent sized OS for what they wanted to do with it, while still having enough memory left over for games to be a good jump over 360. Its a decently powered machine that was well designed with not many bottlenecks in place.

Even if it is weaker than Orbis, it is a very competent machine in its own right. I don't see the point of trying to change those specs to something different near the end game potentially throwing everything out of whack and up the potential cost of the machine as well as have it more prone to failure or production issues.

Then again, i also think having two different Xbox machines(especially in the same year) is kinda dumb as well so..

Arthur Gies had access to real information, too. But that didn't stop basically everything he hinted at for the last few month from being incredibly misleading.

Aegis has a lot of detractors calling bullshit on his arguments though. From what i recall he also said that Durango had a dual GPU set up, but how could that have been early in development when he said it just like a month or two ago..something is weird.

What kind of changes would even merit such on the fly speculation anyway? You'd think the specs were locked down for a while.

Ha, let's not forget that DaE was the guy who thought there was an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU in the kits.

He's also a big tease and a month ago was claiming to reveal the Durango specs in some Google Hangout that never eventuated.

The vgleaks specs are unlikely to vary by any large degree from what's in the final Xbox - regardless of what the fanboys may hope for.

thought it was stated that teh early kits did have intel cpu?

Pfft, i'll trust vgleaks and DF more than Kotaku.

Who happen to have the wrong PS4 specs (probably sourced from DaE), both DF and vgleaks agree on the set of specs we have - and they're using independent sources (and Digital Foundry has double sourced it's claims for Orbis).

Jaguar rather than Steamroller/Bulldozer cores is also in line with what sweetvar was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
thought it was stated that teh early kits did have intel cpu?

No, any rumours of anything other than AMD parts in the kits are BS.

Aegis has a lot of detractors calling bullshit on his arguments though. From what i recall he also said that Durango had a dual GPU set up, but how could that have been early in development when he said it just like a month or two ago..something is weird.

What kind of changes would even merit such on the fly speculation anyway? You'd think the specs were locked down for a while.

Richard from DF said this about people claiming widely different hardware and then when new info comes out saying it was because the kits aren't final:
A lot of retconning of specs goes on by saying that the kits/specs are not final. I’m sure you are aware of the way that silicon is architected, taped out, fabricated etc. I spoke to some contacts in the fastest moving tech industry of all – mobile – and they are on an 18-month cycle. By my reckoning, Orbis and Durango silicon would have been final by the end of last year at the latest. As long as the source is fresh, what we know now is what we’re going to get.

superDaE only gave information to kotaku about one of the ps4/orbis development kits not final specs.

Well, even if that's true, he is a big tease. Who needs him now we've got vgleaks anyway - they have a bulletproof record, right down to the fact that the Wii U's CPU is an overclocked tricore Broadway, despite the open derison by Nintendo fanboys at the time that such a thing was possible.

Apparently vgleaks got hold of white papers describing the console and that's what they are cut and pasting from at the moment.

Doesn't mean anything, just a statement and possibly where a rumor about NVidia based devkits came from.
Could have been MS trying to keep the vendor secret very early on, could have been more representative of the performance they expected, I have no idea and no inclination to speculate.

Well, I suppose if the kits were going out in 2011 (pre-GCN), then that makes some sort of sense. :)

Well even DF confirmed SuperDaE's alpha kit specs (the intel and nvidia one) and one of the kits had dual xeons on them and those are intel parts.

Anyway, as for the possibility of the specs being better, it doesn't have to mean that they have changed the parts. I would imagine that a bump in clock speed can accomplish that. For example, if they bump the gpu and cpu clock speeds to 1ghz and 2ghz respectively, this would result in a better specs machine without having to change anything internally.

Anyway we shall see, when these consoles are announced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Lherre is a Ubi dev and SuperDaE is a troll, you do the math :p

Even so, scently does make a good point in that clock speeds could have made a difference somewhat in evening out the raw performance gap. Changing any major parts at this point however, is just untenable for a 2013 release date.

Well Lherre is a Ubi dev and SuperDaE is a troll, you do the math :p

Even so, scently does make a good point in that clock speeds could have made a difference somewhat in evening out the raw performance gap. Changing any major parts at this point however, is just untenable for a 2013 release date.

Are you sure about that? I don't think this was mentioned anywhere.

Assuming the concept isn't preposterous, 12 CU's would be a lot for a "casual" box.

The "casual" box would need something to differentiate itself from other boxes(like Apple Tv), otherwise it would just be a "me to" product no one would need. Beeing capable of playing next gen titles at reduced quality would be such a needed difference and "killer application".

SuperDaE seems to have had some proper information and material, but also seems to have hard time understanding all aspects of that information. I think his usefulness has ran out. Most credible information/rumours paints a picture for Durango that there haven't been any major changes in its configuration, especially not since the Durango summit.

The RAM bit alone remains puzzling and suggests non-final hardware, where we can also not properly account for the devkit overhead (which typically have twice the memory of the target console anyway). 8GB RAM with 2.2GB of VRAM suggests a non-unified, PC style setup that would seem to be more likely for an early devkit than final hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back