News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinectless SKU in March/April in the works. It's definitely some sort of contingency plan in case they need to drop the price quickly to combat PS4 sales.

Was there ever explanation why CBOAT gets special treatment and hasn't gotten banned for false leaks?

Also, Kinect-less SKU rumor was posted already weeks(?) ago by others and also debunked by MS already, too.

It isn't about Kinectless SKU for lauch window. It's for next year. It might or might not materialized probably based on the X1 launch performance. If MS really wants to sell this SKU next year, they certainly wouldn't tell the existence of this SKU to the public until near the launch date of this SKU.

I think it's far less likely for MS not thinking about Kinectless SKU.

He's claiming a performance drop of 20% this time? :rolleyes:

I think that's just the software SDK and not the hardware. If true and I'm reading it right, it wouldn't be surprising and would be something that gets updated over time (better tools, compilers, etc).

I imagine only a major hardware bug that was recently found or dropped clocks would lower the theoretical limit on performance.

It isn't about Kinectless SKU for lauch window. It's for next year. It might or might not materialized probably based on the X1 launch performance. If MS really wants to sell this SKU next year, they certainly wouldn't tell the existence of this SKU to the public until near the launch date of this SKU.

I think it's far less likely for MS not thinking about Kinectless SKU.

I'm not talking about launch window, that wasn't the earlier rumour either, it too talked about the same timeframe as cboat.

MS shot the rumour down, and there's no really reason to believe they were lying at that point - the whole point of bundling Kinect with every console is to get devs to use it more and not just your standard dance games etc. Optional accessories never get as wide adoption on the dev front. Oh, and MS told devs that Kinect will be on every XB1.

As we've seen over the last few months, both rumors AND official PR can change. But the point is a reliable insider has heard of the possibility of a Kinectless SKU being in the works. And as a contingency plan it makes complete sense.

I'm not talking about launch window, that wasn't the earlier rumour either, it too talked about the same timeframe as cboat.

MS shot the rumour down, and there's no really reason to believe they were lying at that point - the whole point of bundling Kinect with every console is to get devs to use it more and not just your standard dance games etc. Optional accessories never get as wide adoption on the dev front. Oh, and MS told devs that Kinect will be on every XB1.

I think this stems from people misunderstanding Microsoft's motivations for removing the Kinect hardware requirement. It wasn't done so that it would be discarded. It was done to relax concerns about privacy, and also in the event that the sensor was broken or stopped working. You'd still be able to play games on the X1 without it.

For some reason alot of people have taken the no-hardware requirement as a signal that Microsoft is going to abandon the sensor as a standard function. Without Kinect, the X1 loses it's last unique feature.

I point everyone to this announcement on temporary rules, and remind people one more time that discussing sources is presently banned. Either believe CBoat or not, but don't discuss him in this thread (discussing the rumours themselves are of course legitimate discussion). Any posts after this one discussing the source validity will receive a two week ban. If you see this after you have posted such a remark, delete your post before I see it. ;)

edit: removed part of the post, shifty's post wasn't there when I started writing the post

I think this stems from people misunderstanding Microsoft's motivations for removing the Kinect hardware requirement. It wasn't done so that it would be discarded. It was done to relax concerns about privacy, and also in the event that the sensor was broken or stopped working. You'd still be able to play games on the X1 without it.

For some reason alot of people have taken the no-hardware requirement as a signal that Microsoft is going to abandon the sensor as a standard function. Without Kinect, the X1 loses it's last unique feature.

You just include note with the game that it requires Kinect plugged in to work and you can treat it the same way as it would still have to be plugged in even for the console to work, as long as you know every sold XB1 comes with the Kinect.
If it gets broken you no doubt can replace it via warranty or after it runs out via MS or possibly even standard e-tailers and retailers.

Regardless of anything else, I see no reason to believe MS lied when they said there won't be kinectless SKU after the rumors first surfaced

Kinectless X1 in a year would be a bummer...I don't want to pay for boring kinect...but I can't wait a year for X1.

Agreed on your first 2 points, but I can wait. In fact, I HAVE to wait. Even $400 is really pushing it for me. Been a shitty year with all my car & house expenses eating into my disposable income. :( Don't want to get a credit card, but I might have to.

Anyway, I'm not sure I believe the rumors. Though if MS totally bombs this holiday, they may not have any choice. They should have had backward compatibility. Would have saved them I think.

Tommy McClain

TRUTHFACT 1:

No live stream for real reasons. Xbone architecture is still not full complete. The latest version of the SDK from a couple weeks ago dropped performances by 15-20 percent across the board. Now before you get mad at me this happens ALL THE TIME in console development and it will eventually be fixed but there's no chance for an early October release or...

makes no sense at all. magically ms reduced performance 20% with a driver? wtf? pretty sure drivers get better over time, not worse. it also makes zero sense that ms would not livestream because of this, but yet the presentation is going to be offered for download directly after. so ms doesn't want you to see it....but yet they're going to make it available for everybody to see because tape delay will solve everything. right. not to mention ms just talked about their mono/to the metal driver recently. not even to mention are we really suppose to believe they're going to show games with crap awful framerates in the teens and the like? i mean if nothing else they'd just show old footage instead or use the old drivers in the meanwhile. it boggles the mind how dumb this is.

it sounds like typical vague doom and gloom that doesn't mean anything and cant really be proven or disproven and will never amount to anything and nobody will remember in 6 months, or 6 days.

TRUTHFACT 2:

... certainly not for all 21 countries. Localization is absolute one hundred percent BS. TRUTHFACT. The excuses are some that nobody with common sense would consider. Look at the countries dropped. Cross references them against the languages being spoken [in them], official or otherwise in said countries. I said it yielded issues 2 months ago and the chicks have come home to roost. [something something Smartglass] Paying the price now.

i dont even know what this means. "cross reference the languages". umm, ok, what the hell does that even mean? well first one that comes to mind is russia. yep, that's definitely a different language than the one spoken in the other territories. alrighty then. localization issues confirmed.

the yield issues thing is going to be hilarious if xbox one outsell ps4 that first npd which i have this real funny feeling may just happen (once we have the release dates i feel a poll coming on about this).

TRUTHFACT 3:

Late October launch for PS4. Sony SDKs are ready. You could basically master your final version right now. Today, even!

ok well wow, sounds great! everything is perfect for sony i'm sure. but hey at least in a couple days we'll see if he was wrong again. i dont really understand the fixation with being two weeks earlier after a 7 year hardware dev cycle as proving you are perfect and the competition is a joke, but ok. i have my doubts anybody is going to launch in oct, but i'd certainly welcome it. it really doesn't matter as both are going to sell every single unit they can make until January at the earliest.

tbh i kind of think launching any earlier than november makes you look weak. it's the same as how i think the halo series lost some cache when bungie started doing september launches.

Edit: I thought about this a little more and I guess I could actually understand a late Oct release as a way to get a little separation. Otherwise more than likely both consoles will be launching within about a week of each other.

But then again I'm not sure "separation" is really something either company cares about, or has any effect on anything logistically, so we're back to square one. Overall if I had to bet I'd still bet Nov for both consoles.

TRUTHFACT 7:

September surprise early. I apologize in advance. Everything I saw over last 24 months said there was no chance of a kinectless SKU [to start]. Concrete decision up till now. However,

There are whispers that there will be a kinect optional SKU early next year, probably around March or April. There's enough smoke around this that I didn't want to wait until September to say it! We'll have to wait for launch sales to see for sure.

i sort of agree with this but it's more like common sense than anything, i've been posting this ever since they announced kinect can be unplugged, that if sales are poor a kinectless sku would probably happen. certainly not a real rumor as usual it's couched in outs and ifs/ands/buts and whatever happens you cant say he's wrong. sort of like "399 xbox one could happen next year, but then again it might not. I am teh rumorzmaster with all teh inside infoz"

XboxOneDev on Reddit said:
Personally, I don't think this person works at Microsoft based on things he has said so far, I feel like most of the time he is over-simplifying things. I'm going to give my take on what he's "revealed" this time.
1) This entire point is vague. Not sure what he is referring to when he says our architecture isn't ready. If he is saying our architectural design isn't finalized, that is completely wrong. I'm going to assume he means certain features aren't fully ready to be shown, which is true. That being said, I don't see how this has anything to do with Microsoft not streaming Gamescom. Perhaps he meant because some of our features are not yet ready, the overall experience will be so terrible, streaming the conference would show how badly our console runs. Well, we will have 100+ playable consoles at Gamescom. Clearly not the case. The official word has always been Xbox One will launch in November.
To say that our latest July/August DurangoXDK (I assume this is what he meant by SDK) dropped performance by 15-20% across the board, this would mean I as well as a lot of people seriously screwed up somewhere, and I should be freaking out right now. Last time I checked the perf tests, they are on an upwards trend.
2) There are no yield issues I have heard of from my leads, their leads, or our executives. What was told company wide is we will sell 100% of our production inventory on launch based on pre-order numbers. Every console we make until launch will need to go out the door. There is the possibility of our executives simply not revealing the yield issues to us because they don't want to hurt morale. I doubt this is the case.
Points 3, 4, and 5 I have no idea.
6) This isn't news. Marc Whitten has publicly said that the every console will be a dev kit functionality will not be ready at launch and added at a later date. More info will be shown at Gamescom.
7) Not news again, the same day Marc Whitten revealed the Kinect does not have to be plugged in, we confirmed there will not be a Kinect-less Xbox One at launch.
On the possibility of this happening March/April 2014, I have no idea. But to say the Xbox One's launch numbers will be a fallout is unfounded.

FWIW

Tommy McClain

makes no sense at all. magically ms reduced performance 20% with a driver? wtf? pretty sure drivers get better over time, not worse. it also makes zero sense that ms would not livestream because of this, but yet the presentation is going to be offered for download directly after. so ms doesn't want you to see it....but yet they're going to make it available for everybody to see because tape delay will solve everything. right. not to mention ms just talked about their mono/to the metal driver recently. not even to mention are we really suppose to believe they're going to show games with crap awful framerates in the teens and the like? i mean if nothing else they'd just show old footage instead or use the old drivers in the meanwhile. it boggles the mind how dumb this is.

it sounds like typical vague doom and gloom that doesn't mean anything and cant really be proven or disproven and will never amount to anything and nobody will remember in 6 months, or 6 days.

i dont even know what this means. "cross reference the languages". umm, ok, what the hell does that even mean? well first one that comes to mind is russia. yep, that's definitely a different language than the one spoken in the other territories. alrighty then. localization issues confirmed.

the yield issues thing is going to be hilarious if xbox one outsell ps4 that first npd which i have this real funny feeling may just happen (once we have the release dates i feel a poll coming on about this).

ok well wow, sounds great! everything is perfect for sony i'm sure. but hey at least in a couple days we'll see if he was wrong again. i dont really understand the fixation with being two weeks earlier after a 7 year hardware dev cycle as proving you are perfect and the competition is a joke, but ok. i have my doubts anybody is going to launch in oct, but i'd certainly welcome it. it really doesn't matter as both are going to sell every single unit they can make until January at the earliest.

tbh i kind of think launching any earlier than november makes you look weak. it's the same as how i think the halo series lost some cache when bungie started doing september launches.

Edit: I thought about this a little more and I guess I could actually understand a late Oct release as a way to get a little separation. Otherwise more than likely both consoles will be launching within about a week of each other.

But then again I'm not sure "separation" is really something either company cares about, or has any effect on anything logistically, so we're back to square one. Overall if I had to bet I'd still bet Nov for both consoles.

i sort of agree with this but it's more like common sense than anything, i've been posting this ever since they announced kinect can be unplugged, that if sales are poor a kinectless sku would probably happen. certainly not a real rumor as usual it's couched in outs and ifs/ands/buts and whatever happens you cant say he's wrong. sort of like "399 xbox one could happen next year, but then again it might not. I am teh rumorzmaster with all teh inside infoz"

The whole thing is a bit moronic to be honest.

MS was just touting their improved driver performance a couple of weeks ago. As rangers said, plenty of playable boxes on the floor renders this pretty high on the stupid scale, unless cboat means something development related and not game performance related.

If there were really yield issues, ALL of the non-English countries would have been cut. The only market that really matters is the US, as winning there is worth far more than the rest of the world combined. The territories cut won't mean much other than an extra bump in Black Friday restocks.

Kinectless SKU is the stupidest thing that I have heard in this whole fiasco. Of course, given the utter stupidity displayed by MS since E3, this might be true. It seems like when Mattrick left, he took everyone's balls with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard this a couple times, where are people getting the figure it would be $100 cheaper without Kinect being bundled?
The cost of Kinect is probably in the R&D and chips, which are also in the box itself.
So the BOM for the Kinect itself may not be $100, sure if they released it as a separate product then it would cost more than that, but bundled in, maybe not? What if it only dropped the price by $50?

If they feel the need to release a Kinectless sku, then we're basically talking about a wiiu situation. It would really have to be selling that badly.

Price parity (or even just closer) with PS4 would be nice, but not at the cost of Kinect, as people would question why get an XB1?
Exclusives sure, but if your really interested in exclusives, chances are you'll pick one up anyway at some point.
I don't think many people think it's so much more powerful than the PS4, that games will blow it out of the water, both multi-plats and exclusives. ;)

To the performance drop thing, my own theory is MS architecture never planned for always recording. And now they squeezed the feature in, and it ate resources and performance drop if the feature turned on.

I've heard this a couple times, where are people getting the figure it would be $100 cheaper without Kinect being bundled?
The cost of Kinect is probably in the R&D and chips, which are also in the box itself.
So the BOM for the Kinect itself may not be $100, sure if they released it as a separate product then it would cost more than that, but bundled in, maybe not? What if it only dropped the price by $50?

If they feel the need to release a Kinectless sku, then we're basically talking about a wiiu situation. It would really have to be selling that badly.

Price parity (or even just closer) with PS4 would be nice, but not at the cost of Kinect, as people would question why get an XB1?
Exclusives sure, but if your really interested in exclusives, chances are you'll pick one up anyway at some point.
I don't think many people think it's so much more powerful than the PS4, that games will blow it out of the water, both multi-plats and exclusives. ;)

i never believed kinect was a huge bom before, until it was said by someone on this board who should know that he heard just the image sensor for kinect 2.0 costs 50 dollars.

given that, the whole kinect adding 100 to the bottom line is quite likely.

it's a lot of tradeoffs involved though, i assume part of the reason for 499 is ms wants to lose little or no money on hardware out of the gate this time. if that attitude changes you could see 399 with kinect. so there's more than one moving part.

i'm against removing kinect, at least until i see it in action and decide if it's worthy.

but if sales show the market doesnt follow your reasoning, kinect may have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back